Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 3:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Survivalist conspiracy crap.....
Survivalist conspiracy crap.....
Every generation since antiquity has always had morons who claim "The end is near".  If that is the case, and you stupidly think you will get rapture'd then why would you store food and build bunkers and buy weapons?

Despite what theists think, atheist would agree that an end will come, but just not one due to a fictional sky wizard. 

A meteor eventually will hit the planet again, and plenty have in our 4 billion year history as a planet. And things like the volcano that sits under Yosemite National Park could become active to the point of disturbing human life so much our species cant survive.. It isn't likely to happen soon, but like I said, our planet has had 5 mass extinction events in it's 4 billion year old history and will have a couple more before the planet dies, and we will be long gone as a species by the time the planet dies.

But what kills me about religious claims of "the end" is that isn't based on anything pragmatic  much less scientific. If there were a global nuclear war, why the hell would I want to stick around for the aftermath even if I survived the initial conflict? There would be no more worry of enemy nations, everyone in every nation would be fighting their neighbors for food, and even if you found food, you'd still have to worry about radiation contamination, not to mention there would be no regular transportation or communication or reliable food supply if a global nuclear war were to happen.

If a global nuclear war were to happen, it would not be because of Allah, or Jesus, or Yahweh, or Buddha or Vishnu. It would be because human's failure to stick to enough sanity and diplomacy to avoid using them. 

Why would anyone want to survive that? For me, I can say, if humans get stupid enough to shoot of nukes, I just hope I am close enough to ground zero to get vaporized. I certainly hope in my lifetime, it never happens, but it makes no sense to me to "prepare" for something that catastrophic knowing if I didn't die in the initial attack, it would be a world I would want to live in.
RE: Survivalist conspiracy crap.....
Quote:If a global nuclear war were to happen, it would not be because of Allah, or Jesus, or Yahweh, or Buddha or Vishnu.

I think there's a fair-to-middling chance it could be EXACTLY because of one of those.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
If God can rapture groups of people why would he need nukes?
If you want to blame peoples beliefs/ anti-beliefs in God as a reason then the impetus is on the individual.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
(January 11, 2019 at 5:38 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
Quote:If a global nuclear war were to happen, it would not be because of Allah, or Jesus, or Yahweh, or Buddha or Vishnu.

I think there's a fair-to-middling chance it could be EXACTLY because of one of those.

Boru

I agree, but not because they are real, but because far too many people with power, with their hand on the button, worldwide, do think they're fictional heros do have an influence on humans. 

The world will not end by human hands because of fictional heros. It can end if those who buy those claims in power say, "If I cant have you nobody can" and base it on those fictional heros.

When the theist says, "The world will end". That part is true, it will, but not because any holy writing in human history has a patent on morality or is predictive.. If we die as a species by our own hands, it will be tragic, mundane, needless but still not caused by anything divine or super natural.

(January 11, 2019 at 5:51 pm)tackattack Wrote: If God can rapture groups of people why would he need nukes?
If you want to blame peoples beliefs/ anti-beliefs in God as a reason then the impetus is on the individual.

Um no sorry. This is the same claimed character whom in the claimed mythology of the Egyptians took his anger out on boys, instead of taking it out only on the adult king alone, according to the story. Please tell me what a kid could possibly do at such a young age to deserve death because of something the parent did? Same with the flood mythology. The flood never happened, but just based on the "you did bad and you will pay" motif of God's wrath, it would still be implied that kids of non Christians, babies of non Christians, and all humans outside of the Noah clan on that boat, drowned. Genocide is not a moral argument.  Harming someone just because you can, is nothing short of "might makes right". 

Same stupid argument with natural disasters even today. This claimed deity loves his loyalists, but even where there are a high concentration of fervent followers whom go to church every Sunday, even multiple times a week, even those people have their homes destroyed, their holy houses of worship destroyed and even lost lives, even if they have no criminal record. Seems pretty shitty to to me to treat someone you say you love and is not a bad person like that.

Why such crappy aim?
(January 11, 2019 at 5:10 pm)Brian37 Wrote: If a global nuclear war were to happen, it would not be because of Allah, or Jesus, or Yahweh, or Buddha or Vishnu. It would be because human's failure to stick to enough sanity and diplomacy to avoid using them. 

Why would anyone want to survive that?

Because life is sacred, and since it's a situation where dying would actually be a step up, then Christians will say it's imperative to prolong it, like for unwanted pregnancies or if you're in a vegetative state so severe you have no reasonable chance of waking up.

Or realistically, it's just so they can say "Nyah Nyah Nyah Nyah Nyah" to the dead. Or other people they don't like who managed to survive.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
About a decade ago I crossed paths with some of them. Invited me down for a shoot and then wanted me to join there little underground fall out club, for a price. Until I paid they refused to take me to the compound and would only show me pictures and drawings and tech specs. 

Fuckin nut jobs.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(January 11, 2019 at 7:26 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote:
(January 11, 2019 at 5:10 pm)Brian37 Wrote: If a global nuclear war were to happen, it would not be because of Allah, or Jesus, or Yahweh, or Buddha or Vishnu. It would be because human's failure to stick to enough sanity and diplomacy to avoid using them. 

Why would anyone want to survive that?

Because life is sacred, and since it's a situation where dying would actually be a step up, then Christians will say it's imperative to prolong it, like for unwanted pregnancies or if you're in a vegetative state so severe you have no reasonable chance of waking up.

Or realistically, it's just so they can say "Nyah Nyah Nyah Nyah Nyah" to the dead. Or other people they don't like who managed to survive.

No shit...... What good is it, if you are rapture'd or even are left behind but loyal?

If you are rapture'd at best you haunt a building or say nice things to loved ones that didn't go with you. If you are a loyalist but somehow God forgot to send you the RSVP, you are stuck in the same hell hole non believers are.
(January 11, 2019 at 7:56 pm)wyzas Wrote: About a decade ago I crossed paths with some of them. Invited me down for a shoot and then wanted me to join there little underground fall out club, for a price. Until I paid they refused to take me to the compound and would only show me pictures and drawings and tech specs. 

Fuckin nut jobs.

Time share when time ends? Hmph
(January 11, 2019 at 7:56 pm)wyzas Wrote: About a decade ago I crossed paths with some of them. Invited me down for a shoot and then wanted me to join there little underground fall out club, for a price. Until I paid they refused to take me to the compound and would only show me pictures and drawings and tech specs. 

Fuckin nut jobs.

Apocalypses for fun and profit, eh?
(January 11, 2019 at 5:51 pm)tackattack Wrote: If God can rapture groups of people why would he need nukes? [...]

Mysterious ways and junk... Why would a perfect being need anything?

Also, I'd like to point out that the majority of theists do not believe in the whole rapture business, so I guess god might need those nukes after all...
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flat Earther, and other conspiracy theories. Are they mostly atheists? Ferrocyanide 95 6149 April 26, 2021 at 3:56 am
Last Post: Tomatoshadow2
  Enough of this crap, I want to hear directly from god Foxaèr 82 5393 December 22, 2020 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Prycejosh1987
  Conspiracy after the fact onlinebiker 7 1502 October 14, 2018 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Anyone want to have some fun debunking this crap? Ziploc Surprise 3 1921 October 13, 2012 at 12:02 am
Last Post: TaraJo
  When all else fails .... just make crap up! Marnie 13 4257 August 29, 2012 at 2:34 am
Last Post: Cato