Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 12:00 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi
Hi
Just introducing myself. I suspect like many atheist/agnostics, I spent years in religion, fundy Baptist churches for me, taught Sunday School and even spent a few years in bible college back in the day. My doubts actually started when I studied to defend my positions of faith and opened myself up to debate. I was often left with ..the bibles says it, good enuf for me, regardless of all counter evidence. My progression took many years of actually trying to sustain my faith. For me, it was like a house of cards where I kept having to pull a card out and hoped the house would stand, but they fell. I rebuilt many card houses. Who wouldn't love God to exist and to actually know the "plan", but I cannot find it in any religion. I'm fine with just saying "I don't know".
RE: Hi
Welcome Woof!

Hang around and keep talking to us. I don't bite................much.  Hehe
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Welcome aboard.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Welcome from the future place where Tennessee used to be...
Hehe...
Welcome
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Welcome.
Dying to live, living to die.
Welcome.
Hi, welcome to AF
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(January 24, 2019 at 11:30 pm)Armi Wrote: Just introducing myself. I suspect like many atheist/agnostics, I spent years in religion, fundy Baptist churches for me, taught Sunday School and even spent a few years in bible college back in the day. My doubts actually started when I studied to defend my positions of faith and opened myself up to debate. I was often left with ..the bibles says it, good enuf for me, regardless of all counter evidence. My progression took many years of actually trying to sustain my faith. For me, it was like a house of cards where I kept having to pull a card out and hoped the house would stand, but they fell. I rebuilt many card houses. Who wouldn't love God to exist and to actually know the "plan", but I cannot find it in any religion. I'm fine with just saying "I don't know".

Welcome, and be sure to barbecue kittens, record the NFL without their permission and rip the tags off of your mattress.

But as far as the question of "who wouldn't love".....

Context matters.

I would have loved for example, Xena Warrior Princess, or Wonder Woman being my friend growing up in school to protect me from bullies. Problem is, they are both fictional characters.

But, when it comes to God claims, it isn't a matter of friendship alone, the hitch with the Abrahamic god/s is blind loyalty. They will treat you well, until you disagree with them, even if your objections are not of a overthrow intent. 

The god of Abraham is more like a mafia boss, dictator. He's fine with you as long as you do his bidding and promote his organization, and you get rewarded for doing such, but as soon as you think for yourself, you are toast.

But even outside the 3 religions of Abraham, even with polytheism and Buddhism, I see them pretty much the same way, claims made in antiquity prior to humans having our modern technology/science. The truth is most humans regardless of geography get sold the claims of their parents in youth long before they can formulate adult critical thinking skills.

Don't get me wrong. I think most humans are good, BUT  simply see religion and spirit and god and super natural claims as merely reflections of our own human qualities in claims of the super natural.

Welcome.
Welcome to Atheist Forums! It's a pretty good group of people here I hope you stick around.
If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.
Hello and welcome.