Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Church for atheists...
Church for atheists...
Ok, now that I have your attention, yes I know that atheism isn't a religion but I do fondly remember many of the activities that were associated with church and imagine how much better they would be without all the preachy talking, praying, and hymn singing that usually accompanied the good stuff.

I'm talking about Pot lucks, vollyball, white water rafting trips, snow retreats, randomly hanging out with friends after church was over, and any things that haven't crossed my mind right now. I'm not sure what services would be like, but I imagine they could be used as a news outlet or for magic shows or comedians or something? Why not, in church there were lots of performances by bands or even magic shows, so that could be cool.

It could be a way of focusing money toward causes without a religious agenda while providing a place to fellowship with people who feel kinda lost once they leave religion. Church is such a large part of people's lives and once you remove faith in god it can be hard to feel connected because there are no atheist community centers. Get enough of an organization together and we could create organizations similar to Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts, create a public presence to generate good will, and provide an outlet for seekers that doesn't involve a bunch of woo, but gives the kind of fellowship that people seek naturally.

They wouldn't have to be called churches and I am aware that there are atheist gatherings on meet-up.com but it would be cool to have a brick and mortar place to refer to and say that I am part of that organization. I just hope that otters won't get the same idea once they acheive sentience and start a war with us.

What do you all think?
RE: Church for atheists...
An atheist church is when TAM becomes year-round in fractured groups.

Booze for all! Big Grin
That sounds like a good idea, but it would just make the religious say "see! they have a church! atheism is a religion!"

It's funny how the RELIGIOUS say atheism is a RELIGION like that's a bad thing... Strange how that is, eh?
I do see your point though, Rhiz - I missed my friends at temple when I stopped going and moved.

Btw, even though I hadn't responded - I caught your thread almost as soon as you posted it and subscribed to it. So there. Tongue
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Yeah i totally agree. We should start one. All it is is a sports bar where people gather on saturdays and sundays for football. Both kinds folks.
A church for atheists? Not a bad idea actually

I'd force my ultra-religious grandma to go, every atheist day, make her wake up criminally early and make her put on her sluttiest clothes and traumatize her in every possible way. Jut to teach her a little lesson

"church?" hmmmm I was under the impression that is what this forum was doing...aka being a social networking site ("church") for like minded individuals.

You could always join my 'church' ... Motocycling. (very spiritual and uplifting Tongue)

And yes I did see your post but was wondering how best to reply to you.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
You can not found enough common grounds for atheists to form a organization. Atheism is just rejecting the idea of god. Nothing more.
muhtesem insan;114157 Wrote:You can not found enough common grounds for atheists to form a organization. Atheism is just rejecting the idea of god. Nothing more.

I've commented before to my roommate that the plethora of churches around us seems to stem from the fact that while Christians have the common ground of believing in Christ, they have WAY too many shades and hues to their faith. You don't like one church? Go to another.

I'm sure if someone wanted to start an "atheist church", you could find enough people with enough OTHER things in common besides a lack of belief in gods to make an organization of some sort. The godless-volleyball-lovers-egg-hating-cat-owners association even.

We're on this forum because the vast majority of us want a place where we can feel safe from being preached to. I don't necessarily have that safety depending on which group I join here in the Bible Belt.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
thesummerqueen Wrote:The godless-volleyball-lovers-egg-hating-cat-owners association even.

Egg haters? Burn the heretic!
'We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.' H.L. Mencken

'False religion' is the ultimate tautology.

'It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions.' Mark Twain

'I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.' Abraham Lincoln

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Church of the atheists and prayer and supplication Eclectic 23 1841 September 19, 2022 at 2:34 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Atheists in church Spongebob 182 11865 October 12, 2021 at 5:48 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2176 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet