Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New 50p Blackhole coin
New 50p Blackhole coin
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ca...e-47527505

I don’t really have any desire for collecting things, except commemorative 50p coins. Not really sure why but the Mint here often puts quite cool designs to commemorate or celebrate things (2012 Olympics, authors, inventions etc), and I really like the black hole coin design. To commemorate the life of Stephen Hawking and I think it’s quite cool.

I’ve never bought a coin in my life as I’ve never really seen the point in buying something over the stated value literally printed on the thing, but this is the only one I’ve potentially thought about buying. Unlikely to get one in general circulation.

Anyone else collect coins from their country and got any examples of cool designs?
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
RE: New 50p Blackhole coin
We have the State quarters. I don't have Alaska or Hawaii. (I have to be in a state for the acquisition to count.)
I have four collections of every american coin minted since 1900 for my kids.  If you're going to collect something, my granny said years ago...it may as well be money. She did the hard work, I've just kept them updated since.

(I'm using them to teach my youngest math, at present..they're out on the table for the first time in decades)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
No commemoratives, but I've got a handful of Free State florins around here somewhere.  Gift from an uncle who claims he knew Collins (I don't believe him), but the coins are genuine though not particularly valuable.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(March 12, 2019 at 2:02 pm)Gae Bolga Wrote: I have four collections of every american coin minted since 1900 for my kids.  If you're going to collect something, my granny said years ago...it may as well be money.  She did the hard work, I've just kept them updated since.

(I'm using them to teach my youngest math, at present..they're out on the table for the first time in decades)

My grandmother collected US "double eagles", worth $20 each when they were produced. Each was ~one ounce of gold. When she died she left her guns to my brother, her books to me, and two dozen jars of home-canned peaches to my sister. Sis didn't think much of that distribution. She declared that she'd eat every damn peach herself. The jars were sealed with wax and she used a knife to pry one off. The wax flipped through the air and broke when it landed on the floor. Hidden inside was one of the double eagles. From that point it was "too hell with the fruit!" We ditched all the preserved food items in her cellar, but only the peaches had the coins. Another two hundred or so were never found. Not by anybody who would admit finding them, that is.
Well, not my own country; I stopped giving a shit about the designs of American money when the US ran out of states for the State Quarters program. That said, if I find something from another country, I do tend to take it for myself. Case in point, at work (at least when I'm not laid up with The Cold That Wouldn't Die) I occasionally get kids who try to pay with foreign money because they don't know any better. At one point a year or two ago, some kid tried to pass off a Mexican Peso coin as an American Dollar coin.

It took a while before we convinced him it was actually from Mexico, and eventually, he abandoned it. I took it and it lies on my shelf with a few other coins from other places (mostly pennies or their international equivalents). Sometimes, I notice them in the till and take them from there, but never before taking their US equivalent and replacing the errant coins with ones that are actually legal tender.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Quote:My grandmother collected US "double eagles", worth $20 each when they were produced. Each was ~one ounce of gold. When she died she left her guns to my brother, her books to me, and two dozen jars of home-canned peaches to my sister. Sis didn't think much of that distribution. She declared that she'd eat every damn peach herself. The jars were sealed with wax and she used a knife to pry one off. The wax flipped through the air and broke when it landed on the floor. Hidden inside was one of the double eagles. From that point it was "too hell with the fruit!" We ditched all the preserved food items in her cellar, but only the peaches had the coins. Another two hundred or so were never found. Not by anybody who would admit finding them, that is.

Your grandmother was a cwiminal! She had no respect for the Gold Reserve Act!
We do not inherit the world from our parents. We borrow it from our children.
Quote:
Quote:My grandmother collected US "double eagles", worth $20 each when they were produced. Each was ~one ounce of gold. When she died she left her guns to my brother, her books to me, and two dozen jars of home-canned peaches to my sister. Sis didn't think much of that distribution. She declared that she'd eat every damn peach herself. The jars were sealed with wax and she used a knife to pry one off. The wax flipped through the air and broke when it landed on the floor. Hidden inside was one of the double eagles. From that point it was "too hell with the fruit!" We ditched all the preserved food items in her cellar, but only the peaches had the coins. Another two hundred or so were never found. Not by anybody who would admit finding them, that is.

Your grandmother was a cwiminal! She had no respect for the Gold Reserve Act!

Not necessarily. The Act made some exceptions for jewelry and collectible coins.  Depending on when Nana Sama's coins were minted, they could have qualified as 'collectible'.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I got a Darwin dollar from a friend in Wales.
Checkout perthmint.com.au
The crap they're selling is ridiculous. From Barbie coins to Homer to Betty Boop and everything in between.
There's a coin for sale for $179,000 if anyone's interested.

I'm sticking to 4 nines bullion only thanks.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  France objects to "Waterloo" coin? Brian37 66 7585 June 15, 2015 at 4:36 am
Last Post: abaris