Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
France objects to "Waterloo" coin?
France objects to "Waterloo" coin?
I have to admit, all I know about that battle is that the dictator Napoleon lost that battle. So maybe someone with more of a history background dumb it down for me and explain why the French would object to a coin noting the defeat of a dictator? I guess I am missing something here.

http://popist.com/s/9b86f13/
RE: France objects to "Waterloo" coin?
It is celebrating a French defeat. That is why they don't like it.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
I'd be curious to know if this is a sentiment shared throughout France or if it is something that resonates only with the far right. I have a hard time believing that dyed-in-the-wool republicans would get their panties in a twist over a commemoration of Napoleon's downfall on a coin, though I suppose one must make allowances for nationalist pride, however misplaced it might be in this case.
I don't think I blame the French on this one. I doubt many countries would like to use coinage depicting the defeat of their country in battle unless they look on the battle as a victory for their country in the form of the over throw of a despot. Anyone in the U.S. for an evacuation from Vietnam coin? Brits, how about a Charge of the Light Brigade coin?
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(June 10, 2015 at 12:22 pm)Jenny A Wrote: I don't think I blame the French on this one.  I doubt many countries would like to use coinage depicting the defeat of their country in battle unless they look on the battle as a victory for their country in the form of the over throw of a despot.  Anyone in the U.S. for an evacuation from Vietnam coin?  Brits, how about a Charge of the Light Brigade coin?

I, for one, wouldn't mind the "Evacuation from Saigon" commemorative coin.  Apparently we Americans need all the reminders we can get when it comes to disastrous, wasteful foreign policy blunders.
(June 10, 2015 at 12:25 pm)Crossless1 Wrote:
(June 10, 2015 at 12:22 pm)Jenny A Wrote: I don't think I blame the French on this one.  I doubt many countries would like to use coinage depicting the defeat of their country in battle unless they look on the battle as a victory for their country in the form of the over throw of a despot.  Anyone in the U.S. for an evacuation from Vietnam coin?  Brits, how about a Charge of the Light Brigade coin?

I, for one, wouldn't mind the "Evacuation from Saigon" commemorative coin.  Apparently we Americans need all the reminders we can get when it comes to disastrous, wasteful foreign policy blunders.

We do, but I doubt you're ever going to see that coin. . .
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Actually rather than a dictator losing a battle what really happened is that the reactionary empires of Europe won one and set back the cause of human rights by a century.  France, alone of the European powers, kept throwing out its royalty in favor of republics...and they finally got it right.  But the point is, they kept trying.
(June 10, 2015 at 12:08 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: It is celebrating a French defeat.  That is why they don't like it.

So? The French would prefer to stay under the rule of a dictator? That makes no fucking sense considering they were thrilled the Allies freed them from Nazi Germany. I cant wrap my head around that logic. Napoleon was no hero. He was an opportunist. If I were French I would celebrate his defeat.
I know Napoleon*, he is a good chap.

Also, the French are not to be trusted.
One again, timing is everything.  Just got this from The Smithsonian.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/we...rch&no-ist

Quote:If Napoleon had remained emperor of France for the six years remaining in his natural life, European civilization would have benefited inestimably. The reactionary Holy Alliance of Russia, Prussia and Austria would not have been able to crush liberal constitutionalist movements in Spain, Greece, Eastern Europe and elsewhere; pressure to join France in abolishing slavery in Asia, Africa and the Caribbean would have grown; the benefits of meritocracy over feudalism would have had time to become more widely appreciated; Jews would not have been forced back into their ghettos in the Papal States and made to wear the yellow star again; encouragement of the arts and sciences would have been better understood and copied; and the plans to rebuild Paris would have been implemented, making it the most gorgeous city in the world.

Napoleon deserved to lose Waterloo, and Wellington to win it, but the essential point in this bicentenary year is that the epic battle did not need to be fought—and the world would have been better off if it hadn’t been.
Vive L'Empereur!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Poland, Germany, France all love me Brian37 4 1602 April 21, 2023 at 7:05 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  New 50p Blackhole coin Fidel_Castronaut 14 979 March 13, 2019 at 6:42 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Vive L' France! Minimalist 6 571 November 14, 2018 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  another dead and 4 injured in France ignoramus 7 852 May 13, 2018 at 5:54 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Latest mass shooting in France CapnAwesome 20 2374 March 25, 2018 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: henryp
  France begins to clear 'Jungle' camp account_inactive 37 5145 December 19, 2016 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Permit to preach in France? pocaracas 0 549 November 25, 2015 at 7:40 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Terrorist Massacre Prevented by US Soliders in France Fidel_Castronaut 17 3414 August 25, 2015 at 10:49 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Terrorist attack in France, Lyon Dystopia 20 3922 June 27, 2015 at 4:26 pm
Last Post: Napoléon
  Bad news in France. P.S. This is how governments operate Mudhammam 12 2376 January 14, 2015 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam