Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 10:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I don't hate everything my species does.
I don't hate everything my species does.
This following video gives me a severe case of, "AWE!" Australia suffers from heat waves just like California and it is nice to see humans care about wildlife.

RE: I don't hate everything my species does.
1.  Pity the koala didn't eviscerate that idiot.

2.  I hope the woman gets caught and fined.  What she did is illegal.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(March 19, 2019 at 1:05 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: 1.  Pity the koala didn't eviscerate that idiot.

2.  I hope the woman gets caught and fined.  What she did is illegal.

Boru

How is preventing an animal from dehydrating wrong?
Interfering with wildlife is illegal in Australia (as it should be everywhere).  Feeding/watering animals causes them to become dependent on humans, which (long term) does more harm than good.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(March 19, 2019 at 1:13 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Interfering with wildlife is illegal in Australia (as it should be everywhere).  Feeding/watering animals causes them to become dependent on humans, which (long term) does more harm than good.

Boru

OMG.....

Yea, and most restaurant workers can get fired by not asking permission to take good but discarded food home to their kids.

It was a severe heat wave. 

So "Sorry Kolala, you are going to die from dehydration." That is your logic?

Context of situation matters. 

FYI paid animal rescuers do the same damned thing. If you have a wild animal on your property, dangerous or not, there are businesses that will trap and relocate that animal. 

In fact last year, I had a baby turtle no more than an inch long, crawling through my yard. It was nowhere near any source of water. And it had crawled into my fenced in yard. If I had left it alone, it would have died. I brought it into my house, hydrated it, then a friend and I drove it to a water source and dropped it off. 

If you are going to argue it it is not good to interfere with wildlife, I am not arguing that. But some conditions do not make it optimal to not interfere. I'd say a hot day over 100 degrees would change conditions.

This is an example of an asshole deserving charges. Not the women who merely gave water to a Koala. 

This asshole pretended to feed a pelican then jumped on it as a stunt. That lady was not trying to do the same thing as this asshole.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/man-wh...s-fwc-says
Wild animals that are going to die should be left alone to do so. When resources (in this case, water) are scarce, what is supposed to happen is for enough of the organisms dependent on that resource to snuff it which lowers the population and allows the remaining animals to survive on the limited resource.

You're constantly yakking on and on about evolution, Brian, so here's a news flash for you: animals dying due to limited resources is one of the factors which makes natural selection operate.  When you feed or water animals which would otherwise die, you are putting more stress on the population. 

Boru
(March 19, 2019 at 1:46 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Wild animals that are going to die should be left alone to do so. When resources (in this case, water) are scarce, what is supposed to happen is for enough of the organisms dependent on that resource to snuff it which lowers the population and allows the remaining animals to survive on the limited resource.

You're constantly yakking on and on about evolution, Brian, so here's a news flash for you: animals dying due to limited resources is one of the factors which makes natural selection operate.  When you feed or water animals which would otherwise die, you are putting more stress on the population. 

Boru

Yea and the same could be argued about humans. But I am damned sure if you are in distress and needed help you would not want others going, "Oh well, what are you going to do?.".

Ok fine, when you feel chest pain from a heart attack, don't call for help, because that is just nature's way of weeding out the weak. 

Humans die too.
(March 19, 2019 at 1:56 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(March 19, 2019 at 1:46 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Wild animals that are going to die should be left alone to do so. When resources (in this case, water) are scarce, what is supposed to happen is for enough of the organisms dependent on that resource to snuff it which lowers the population and allows the remaining animals to survive on the limited resource.

Boru

Yea and the same could be argued about humans. But I am damned sure if you are in distress and needed help you would not want others going, "Oh well, what are you going to do?.".

Ok fine, when you feel chest pain from a heart attack, don't call for help, because that is just nature's way of weeding out the weak. 

Humans die too.

That's not the same.  Resources for humans are abundant (at least where I live).  If I die or don't die of a heart attack, it isn't going to affect the rest of my community, resource-wise.  You're arguing something completely different. Remember - we're talking specifically about a woman giving water to a koala during a drought.  The cases aren't remotely the same.

No one - least of all me - wants to see a cute, cuddly koala die of thirst.  But what I REALLY don't want to see is wild animal populations put at risk because people can't let nature take its course.  There's really no difference (other than one of scale) between what this woman did, and cutting down a eucalyptus tree.  In both cases, she's altering the balance between resources and the koalas that need them.  She did a bad thing.

Boru
(March 19, 2019 at 2:06 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(March 19, 2019 at 1:56 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Yea and the same could be argued about humans. But I am damned sure if you are in distress and needed help you would not want others going, "Oh well, what are you going to do?.".

Humans die too.

That's not the same.  Resources for humans are abundant (at least where I live).  If I die or don't die of a heart attack, it isn't going to affect the rest of my community, resource-wise.  You're arguing something completely different. Remember - we're talking specifically about a woman giving water to a koala during a drought.  The cases aren't remotely the same.

No one - least of all me - wants to see a cute, cuddly koala die of thirst.  But what I REALLY don't want to see is wild animal populations put at risk because people can't let nature take its course.  There's really no difference (other than one of scale) between what this woman did, and cutting down a eucalyptus tree.  In both cases, she's altering the balance between resources and the koalas that need them.  She did a bad thing.

Boru

Considering that human beings are the most destructive species causing the most damage currently, this is funny.

Sorry if you are going to say, "let nature take it's course" regarding the Koala, then don't call 911 when you have chest pains.

Otherwise all you are arguing is that humans are an apex, and we both know we are not.

I saved a turtle last year, no I am not sorry and I would do it again.
(March 19, 2019 at 2:49 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(March 19, 2019 at 2:06 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: That's not the same.  Resources for humans are abundant (at least where I live).  If I die or don't die of a heart attack, it isn't going to affect the rest of my community, resource-wise.  You're arguing something completely different. Remember - we're talking specifically about a woman giving water to a koala during a drought.  The cases aren't remotely the same.

Boru

Considering that human beings are the most destructive species causing the most damage currently, this is funny.

Sorry if you are going to say, "let nature take it's course" regarding the Koala, then don't call 911 when you have chest pains.

Otherwise all you are arguing is that humans are an apex, and we both know we are not.

I saved a turtle last year, no I am not sorry and I would do it again.

1.  So, your solution is to have humans do even MORE damage?

2.  I already explained why this is a stupid argument (and it wouldn't do me much good to call 911 for anything. The emergency number here is 111, but I wouldn't expect you to know that, you provincial boob).

3.  Not arguing that humans are an apex anything, just trying to point out that saving one animal may not be the best option for that species as a whole.

4.  Good for you.  You saved a turtle.  That was very nice of you.

Boru

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Your favorite species. Brian37 43 1983 August 11, 2021 at 1:03 am
Last Post: Brian37
  One thing I hate about the human language. Brian37 13 1109 June 25, 2021 at 11:19 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  My HATE Thread! impaler 46 2731 September 2, 2020 at 2:23 pm
Last Post: Divinity
  I hate it when I do that... onlinebiker 22 1244 July 15, 2020 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Why I hate food critics.... Brian37 23 2861 January 21, 2020 at 10:14 am
Last Post: tackattack
  Why I Hate Music Critics BrianSoddingBoru4 2 724 January 19, 2020 at 9:26 pm
Last Post: no one
  A new species of Nado has attacked! <<<clickbait!!!>>> ignoramus 1 324 August 1, 2019 at 9:27 am
Last Post: tackattack
  Wow? Endangered species barnesreunion 7 684 July 19, 2019 at 5:54 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  I hate government Apex1050 24 1851 May 30, 2019 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Athene
  [split] PSA: Hate Speech (discussion of video etc) Huggy Bear 223 7647 May 3, 2019 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama