Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mock funeral festival
Mock funeral festival
Considering that today is for many superstitious people day of mock funeral festival, why not remember one that was big in the ancient world and that is Adonia. It was also probably set in the early spring and here's some description from wikipedia how it went on

Quote:Adonia was a festival celebrated annually by women in ancient Greece to mourn the death of Adonis, the consort of Aphrodite. 

Unlike these other festivals, however, the Adonia was not state-organised, or part of the official state calendar of religious celebration, and prostitutes as well as respectable women celebrated the Adonia.

Over the course of the festival, Athenian women took to the rooftops of their houses. They danced, sang, and ritually mourned the death of Adonis. They planted "Gardens of Adonis" – lettuce and fennel seeds, planted in potsherds – which sprouted before withering and dying. After the rooftop celebrations, the women descended to the streets with these Gardens of Adonis, and small images of the god; they then conducted a mock funeral procession, before ritually burying the images and the remains of the gardens at sea or in springs.

Outside of Athens, a celebration of Adonis
was a cult with state patronage. It included an annual competition between women singing dirges for Adonis. Rites lamenting the death of Adonis are also attested in Argos in the second century AD: the Greek geographer Pausanias describes the women of Argos mourning Adonis' death at a shrine inside the temple of Zeus Soter.

Here's a bit of a description of Adonia from a historical novel "The Last Of The Wine"

Quote:adonis was dead. My mother put on her mourning veil and went out to weep for him, with a basket of anemones to strew about his bier. Soon one met a procession at every corner, the dead god carried in his garden, the women with hair unbound wailing against the flutes.

I have never met a man yet who liked this festival. That year it was a cold grey day, with heavy cloud. The citizens crowded into the palaestra and the baths and any place where women cannot go, and muttered gossip about omens and prodigies. Word came from the Agora that a man had just gone raving mad there; he had leaped on the Altar of the Twelve, drawn a knife, and hacked off his genitals with it. The altar was defiled and would have to be consecrated again.
RE: Mock funeral festival
Oh, yeah. It's almost easter. I have a boneless leg of lamb thawing for dinner on Sunday. It's going to get roasted in a spit. Badger
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
Oh well, crucifixion seems to be popular among English people. Here's one that happened yesterday in Croydon

[Image: D4g4-W8q-Xo-AEy4ju.jpg]

[Image: D4g4-Yb-VXk-AEH-ke.jpg]

[Image: D4g4d6-TWs-AEYPcl.jpg]
Cheating a bit, isn't he. In the Philippines they get realistic.
I'm off this Easter. Several co-workers approached me at work essentially saying "Hey C.....Um, you're a heathen, right? I gonna need you to switch days with me so I can spend Easter with my family."

Well, since they put it that way....No.
I'm going to spend this blessed Resurrection Day doing not a goddamned thing.  Cool

Seriously though, I may cook. But that's it.
I used to volunteer for Christmas duty when a married man with kids needed a swap. I wasn't excited about it and I had a chip.
Adonis was never alive to die, what a waste those women made in their lives and what a waste of your time to post such silliness. God the Son has always been and will always be no matter how much you dislike it it is the truth.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(April 20, 2019 at 6:50 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: Oh well, crucifixion seems to be popular among English people. Here's one that happened yesterday in Croydon

[Image: D4g4-W8q-Xo-AEy4ju.jpg]

[Image: D4g4-Yb-VXk-AEH-ke.jpg]

[Image: D4g4d6-TWs-AEYPcl.jpg]
 That's The Christ man! Lol
Hey, today is the second Easter - for Orthodox christians that hate Vatican so much that they still stick to Julian calendar.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Satan and Making Mock zwanzig 24 2241 May 21, 2021 at 7:58 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Has anyone been to a funeral where the individual goes to hell? brewer 27 5618 May 8, 2017 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: emjay
  One traditional funeral pyre please! Welsh cake 6 1955 February 12, 2010 at 4:14 am
Last Post: leo-rcc