Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Satan and Making Mock
Satan and Making Mock
In general, this is about the taboo and evil characters of all religions, but Christianity tends to be the most fussy.

As atheists, how do you feel about bucking religious authority and making fun of them by using their "evil" imagery in a free and rebellious way? Like, goading Christians over their sensitivity by embracing devilish or demonic imagery/characters. 

Like, I watched Philip Defranco cover Lil Nas X's controversy with his Montero music video, wherein he's sent to hell, pole dances, and gives Satan a lap dance before killing him. In interviews, he discussed how religion had tried to make him feel shamed for his homosexuality and the video was symbolically telling this story of how he was embracing who he is. He had stated that he knew this video would stir things up and make some people unhappy but he didn't care.

I'm not a fan of his(only heard about him from the news of the controversy this stirred up) but I understand the idea. Briefly, I entertained a story idea wherein I would write about Joseph Smith and the stories of his early life getting heavenly visitations. But I'd frame it as a Donnie Darko style horror, where we can't tell if 1. Joseph is simply crazy and delusional or 2. He is being visited by beings....but they're not from heaven. As a mockery of the importance and reverence placed upon the first vision account, which comes across as pretty sinister now that I'm no longer a believer.

None of it's real, neither Satan or God, so, do you feel a measure of glee and delight to use their ideas of Hell and devils to poke fun and mock their religious sensibilities? Do you get that sense of joy when watching others do so? I do.

RE: Satan and Making Mock
(March 30, 2021 at 7:31 am)Five Wrote: use their ideas of Hell and devils to poke fun and mock their religious sensibilities?

Once I saw a Devil in a flame of fire, who arose before an Angel that sat on a cloud, and the Devil uttered these words: “The worship of God is, honouring His gifts in other men each according to his genius, and loving the greatest men best. Those who envy or calumniate great men hate God, for there is no other God.”

The Angel hearing this became almost blue, but mastering himself he grew yellow, and at last white-pink and smiling, and then replied: “Thou idolater, is not God One? and is not He visible in Jesus Christ? and has not Jesus Christ given His sanction to the law of ten commandments? and are not all other men fools, sinners, and nothings?”

The Devil answered: “Bray a fool in a mortar with wheat, yet shall not his folly be beaten out of him. If Jesus Christ is the greatest man, you ought to love Him in the greatest degree. Now hear how He has given His sanction to the law of ten commandments. Did He not mock at the Sabbath, and so mock the Sabbath’s God? murder those who were murdered because of Him? turn away the law from the woman taken in adultery, steal the labour of others to support Him? bear false witness when He omitted making a defence before Pilate? covet when He prayed for His disciples, and when He bid them shake off the dust of their feet against such as refused to lodge them? I tell you, no virtue can exist without breaking these ten commandments. Jesus was all virtue, and acted from impulse, not from rules.”

When he had so spoken, I beheld the Angel, who stretched out his arms embracing the flame of fire, and he was consumed, and arose as Elijah.

Note.—This Angel, who is now become a Devil, is my particular friend; we often read the Bible together in its infernal or diabolical sense, which the world shall have if they behave well.

I have also the Bible of Hell, which the world shall have whether they will or no.

-- William Blake
Simply, I do.

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina does a good job of doing what you described above, and it's a great show to boot. They never properly topped one scene in episode six of the second season, but the show is amazing nonetheless. There are only four seasons, and it's on Netflix.

[Image: giphy.gif]
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
religious authority.... what's that?
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(March 30, 2021 at 7:59 am)Eleven Wrote: Simply, I do.

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina does a good job of doing what you described above, and it's a great show to boot. They never properly topped one scene in episode six of the second season, but the show is amazing nonetheless. There are only four seasons, and it's on Netflix.

[Image: giphy.gif]
I started to watch that and liked the first episode. I'll have to give it another go.

(March 30, 2021 at 8:02 am)zebo-the-fat Wrote: religious authority.... what's that?

Hah! The authority that religion falsely claims to possess.

I just read a little snippet of an article about how the Duggar family (they with many children) don't call "deviled eggs" deviled eggs but instead call them angel eggs.

Just how scared of a fictional character do you have to be to go that far? They still eat them but had to change the name, just in case.

Whatever gets your nutty ass through the night I suppose.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

It seems to me that making a product and associating it with Satanism is an efficient marketing ploy....
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(March 30, 2021 at 9:40 am)Mister Agenda Wrote: Satan is an efficient marketing ploy....

ftfy Wink
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 30, 2021 at 7:55 am)Belacqua Wrote:
(March 30, 2021 at 7:31 am)Five Wrote: use their ideas of Hell and devils to poke fun and mock their religious sensibilities?

Once I saw a Devil in a flame of fire, who arose before an Angel that sat on a cloud, and the Devil uttered these words: “The worship of God is, honouring His gifts in other men each according to his genius, and loving the greatest men best. Those who envy or calumniate great men hate God, for there is no other God.”

The Angel hearing this became almost blue, but mastering himself he grew yellow, and at last white-pink and smiling, and then replied: “Thou idolater, is not God One? and is not He visible in Jesus Christ? and has not Jesus Christ given His sanction to the law of ten commandments? and are not all other men fools, sinners, and nothings?”

The Devil answered: “Bray a fool in a mortar with wheat, yet shall not his folly be beaten out of him. If Jesus Christ is the greatest man, you ought to love Him in the greatest degree. Now hear how He has given His sanction to the law of ten commandments. Did He not mock at the Sabbath, and so mock the Sabbath’s God? murder those who were murdered because of Him? turn away the law from the woman taken in adultery, steal the labour of others to support Him? bear false witness when He omitted making a defence before Pilate? covet when He prayed for His disciples, and when He bid them shake off the dust of their feet against such as refused to lodge them? I tell you, no virtue can exist without breaking these ten commandments. Jesus was all virtue, and acted from impulse, not from rules.”

When he had so spoken, I beheld the Angel, who stretched out his arms embracing the flame of fire, and he was consumed, and arose as Elijah.

Note.—This Angel, who is now become a Devil, is my particular friend; we often read the Bible together in its infernal or diabolical sense, which the world shall have if they behave well.

I have also the Bible of Hell, which the world shall have whether they will or no.

-- William Blake

This quote needs to be placed in its proper context, which is that Blake was a teetotal fucknuts crazy whackaloon who should have been locked up with his paint supplies and only allowed out on alternate Thursdays (and that on a leash).

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(March 30, 2021 at 12:44 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(March 30, 2021 at 7:55 am)Belacqua Wrote: Once I saw a Devil in a flame of fire, who arose before an Angel that sat on a cloud, and the Devil uttered these words: “The worship of God is, honouring His gifts in other men each according to his genius, and loving the greatest men best. Those who envy or calumniate great men hate God, for there is no other God.”

-- William Blake

This quote needs to be placed in its proper context, which is that Blake was a teetotal fucknuts crazy whackaloon who should have been locked up with his paint supplies and only allowed out on alternate Thursdays (and that on a leash).

Boru
It sort of sounds like a Drich story.  And the same actions should be taken with Drich except, perhaps, the allowed out part.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Satan better than God? Disagreeable 37 2587 January 31, 2022 at 3:37 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  God vs Satan - Bible UniverseCaptain 5 1200 October 17, 2021 at 10:55 am
Last Post: no one
  Mock funeral festival Fake Messiah 8 889 April 28, 2019 at 3:10 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  If there are no gods, doesn't making one's self a god make one a theist? Foxaèr 13 3612 May 26, 2017 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Santa is an anagram for Satan goombah111 34 5017 January 27, 2017 at 5:33 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why don't Christians admire/LOVE SATAN instead of the biblical God? ProgrammingGodJordan 18 3599 January 21, 2017 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  What if Satan won? ForsakenHeretic 67 17339 September 2, 2015 at 2:18 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  Blind boy thanks he favourite deity for making him blind ReptilianPeon 12 3371 August 28, 2015 at 7:43 am
Last Post: Longhorn
  Free Will, Decision making and religion FreeTony 57 14803 March 16, 2015 at 9:59 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Challenge to christians: Satan wrote the bible robvalue 120 23015 February 15, 2015 at 5:13 am
Last Post: emilynghiem