Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 6:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who knows why?
Who knows why?
Why is Easter on a different day every year?

Answer

RE: Who knows why?
(April 20, 2019 at 2:07 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: Why is Easter on a different day every year?

Answer

Yeah, that doesn't have pagan origins at all.   Doh

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

It's the only time of year rabbits shit colored eggs.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
You're saying that Easter hops around?
(April 20, 2019 at 2:25 pm)no one Wrote: You're saying that Easter hops around?

-groan-  Tut Tut

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

So you're saying that the Romans had to wait until the first Friday, that rabbits shat coloured eggs, before the first Sunday, after the first full moon, following spring equinox, to hang zombie boy jebus out to dry?
I don't know whether I need a bottle in front of me or a frontal lobotomy. Diablo
And 2000+ years later this is what we get.

[Image: Bunnies-on-the-Bayou-2.jpg]
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Apart from being a fertility symbol, does anyone know how rabbits became associated with Christianity in general and Easter in particular?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(April 20, 2019 at 8:33 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Apart from being a fertility symbol, does anyone know how rabbits became associated with Christianity in general and Easter in particular?

Boru

Then shouldn't rabbits be associated with the birth of Christ, more than with his death? How come there are virtually no rabbits in traditional Christmas iconography, whereas lambs are often depicted in relation to both occasions?

I'm pretty sure it's just a leftover of pagan fertility rituals, which Easter replaced and adopted. That's probably also why the date is determined by moon-cycles, rather than by solar calendar, like other christian celebrations. Hares are predominantly nocturnal, but in early spring they start chasing each other in broad daylight, which is why they're associated with the season in a lot of European traditions. 

There are many regional customs and symbols connected with Easter, that have nothing to do with Christ, or Christianity. And some are just more marketable, than others, I guess. In Eastern Europe, where I grew up, people spray each other with water on Easter Monday. In particular - young men are encouraged to soak girls they like. One could come up with all sorts of justifications, why water symbolism appeals to christians, but no - it's basically just an old-timey, semi-voluntary wet t-shirt contest, that horny Polish peasants weren't going to give up, resurrection, or no resurrection. Why isn't this custom wide-spread? Possibly because there's more money to be made selling cute chocolate animals, than buckets of water.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
(April 20, 2019 at 4:47 pm)wyzas Wrote: And 2000+ years later this is what we get.

[Image: Bunnies-on-the-Bayou-2.jpg]

Yes, please.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The believer seems to know god better than he knows himself Foxaèr 43 8065 June 2, 2018 at 1:30 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  he knows im right, but is still a christian? LoveLogicalLife 43 9344 July 9, 2014 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If jesus knows where the missing Malaysian airplane is, why won't he tell someone? Brakeman 45 6611 March 21, 2014 at 10:08 pm
Last Post: Hezekiah