Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 9:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is it about Trump that has allowed him to acquire so many ardent followers?
What is it about Trump that has allowed him to acquire so many ardent followers?
I don't get it! Has any sort of American Political leader had this sort of cult-like following before? Obviously, it has happened in other countries. Hitler, Kim Jong Un, and his family and interestingly enough, Putin. To be frank, Trump is a fucking moron. So why is it his followers seem to worship him? I have witnessed this myself via social media among my personal friends. Even so recently, like yesterday a friend of mine posted something talking shit about John McCain. This guy is a Trump supporter. His base often likes to see what they want to see. If you tell them the sky is blue, they will argue that it is green if Trump said it. To a normal, sane human being anyone who supports Trump comes off as a total moron. Again, Trump has demonstrated time and time again that he has very low intelligence. I like Tulsi, but I don't worship her. I can see her flaws, she is not a perfect human being. In fact, I have felt she needs to discuss more her plans for implementing policy instead of just using applause lines.
Better there than here where all my stuff is

[Image: 1r95y6.gif]

[Image: 1rb9xg.gif]
RE: What is it about Trump that has allowed him to acquire so many ardent followers?
I don't know, but he seems to have emboldened the worst side of the republican party. although I want to say it probably started before him. We went from a black president that the republicans hated, to a white xenophobe, and the alt right is lapping it up.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

RE: What is it about Trump that has allowed him to acquire so many ardent followers?
(June 4, 2019 at 4:05 pm)GODZILLA Wrote: I don't get it! Has any sort of American Political leader had this sort of cult-like following before? 

I've wondered the same thing myself.  Republicans support for Trump is around 90%, and I just can't understand it.  He's a pathological liar and obviously doesn't know what he is doing.  I guess many Republicans enjoy the political theater, or hate Democrats so much they love to see us in pain.

I would compare Trump to McCarthy or Mussolini.  He's definitely a demagogue who specializes in whipping people up.
Trump has used his position in a way that allows his followers to say what they really mean. He has opened the gates for in-your-face prejudices and biases to be aired loud and proud. It is very cult-like. All the things people weren't saying in 'polite company' are now being screamed from the rooftops because Trump has made it acceptable.

Is there much that anyone you know can say that would be more heinous that the things that spew out Trump's mouth?

He is a cult leader - it baffles me as much that people want to back him as it does that people were willing to swallow the koolaid for Jim Jones. The difference is in numbers. A charismatic leader who appeals to a certain subset of the population that buys the lies. IMO, if Trump is reelected we (US) are really and fully screwed and there will be no fixing it even in our grandchildren's lifetimes. But he won't be beaten out of office by the group that's in the running.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

It's called 'pandering to fear'.

Paraphrase from 'The American President':  He is not interested in solving your problems.  He is interested in making you afraid of it and telling you who's to blame for it.  You take a bunch of middle aged, middle class, middle income voters who remember an easier time and you talk to them about family and American values.  That is how you win elections.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(June 4, 2019 at 6:55 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: It's called 'pandering to fear'.

Paraphrase from 'The American President':  He is not interested in solving your problems.  He is interested in making you afraid of it and telling you who's to blame for it.  You take a bunch of middle aged, middle class, middle income votes who remember an easier time and you talk to them about family and American values.  That is how you win elections.

Boru

This. It's SUPER easy to gain (and keep) followers based on the shared hatred of the "other" (fill in the blank - liberals, women, gays, Mexicans, Muslims)
Illegitimi non carborundum
(June 4, 2019 at 6:55 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: It's called 'pandering to fear'.

Paraphrase from 'The American President':  He is not interested in solving your problems.  He is interested in making you afraid of it and telling you who's to blame for it.  You take a bunch of middle aged, middle class, middle income voters who remember an easier time and you talk to them about family and American values.  That is how you win elections.

Boru

I wish I had some easier time in my past! These people are suckers, methinks.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
A lot of people are sick of the left.
They know that both sides lie through their teeth constantly, but the way that Trump does it, they like it better.
Also, I think voting for Trump was a gamble for many. They wanted change.
I think it's become very hard for the average person to work out what the fuck either side is doing.
There's so much information and misinformation that the normal working person doesn't have the time to keep up with it all.
It seems to me that a lot of people pick a side early and stay on that side forever.
If people are swapping over to the right, then maybe the left needs to pick up it's game rather than blaming their losses on the other side's stupidity.

I have no definitive idea. Maybe its populist nationalistic blinders people have acquired through cynicism.

I expect, if there's no drastic change before next U.S. election, that Trump will win again in 2020. He's riding some sort of populist nationalistic wave that I also see here in Europe, just from the EU elections where some right-leaning politicians have won in their countries.

Blaming the other side of the political spectrum for all ills without some recourse is not gonna fare well in your own favor. Only way to defeat an idea is to present a better idea.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman
@  The OPQ

Nothing.  There's nothing about Trump that got him anything.  The yellow press maintains the avatar the russians elected as he burns off of what remains of his fathers money.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why so many marriages fail in the US neil 56 2598 January 8, 2024 at 7:37 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Donald Trump is the best American president that USA has ever had Edge92 21 1701 June 4, 2021 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Are more Trump signs indicative of Trump winning? Dingo 15 1054 October 1, 2020 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Compare Joe Biden In 2012 To Him Today: Signs of Dementia Are Clear ReptilianPeon 11 1941 April 12, 2020 at 6:00 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Trump VS Trump (not exactly political news but I have no idea where to post this) Cepheus Ace 0 36884 February 12, 2019 at 2:15 am
Last Post: Cepheus Ace
  Trump has blood on his hands WinterHold 60 4370 December 13, 2018 at 2:59 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  Why does Politics bring out the worst in so many people? GODZILLA 21 2025 October 10, 2018 at 9:09 am
Last Post: Draconic Aiur
  This is officially the funniest thing Trump has ever said Aegon 12 1542 September 19, 2018 at 11:57 pm
Last Post: Seraphina
  IF You Are Wondering Why There Are So Many Fucking Assholes in Alabama Minimalist 15 1854 August 23, 2018 at 10:59 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  When FOX Fires Shep Smith I Hope MSNBC Hires Him Minimalist 2 502 August 2, 2018 at 9:20 am
Last Post: Joods