Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 9:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A month early, but stilll......
A month early, but stilll......
Next month marks the third year of my mom's death. Watching the person who raised you, and never let you fall through the cracks. Watching the person, while you had nothing politically or religiously in common, but always had your back. Watching the person you love most in the world, take her last breath is nothing you want to go through.

But I do know I had that time, our lives together, as imperfect an odd couple we were, the one thing I will always regard and value, was her steadfast and unwavering support of me. We always fussed and fought each other, but when push came to shove, when either of us needed the other, we were there. 

We did have a few things in common. We both loved Billy Joel's "My Life" and some ABBA songs. We both love the Redskins. And in her later years, she got me into watching Ohio State football, the college she graduated from. We both love cats too. In fact, if it where not for her getting upset with me for being depressed over the death of my last cat, I would not have my current cat. She was so concerned with my mental health, she insisted I go to a cat rescue and adopt another cat, which is the one I still have today. 

And she loved my friends as if they were her own sons. Unfortunately she never got to meet Bob or John in person, but she did get to talk to them on Skype. It is some comfort that my mom's ashes and Bob's ashes are now side by side in my house in their respective urns. 

Point is to everyone reading this, tell those you love you love them, every chance you get.
RE: A month early, but stilll......
My mom turned 98 in May. My siblings and I get together with her every Monday for lunch and Mahjong. She may be old and frail, but her mind is still sharp as a tack.  Heart
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
(July 10, 2019 at 10:17 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Next month marks the third year of my mom's death. Watching the person who raised you, and never let you fall through the cracks. Watching the person, while you had nothing politically or religiously in common, but always had your back. Watching the person you love most in the world, take her last breath is nothing you want to go through.

But I do know I had that time, our lives together, as imperfect an odd couple we were, the one thing I will always regard and value, was her steadfast and unwavering support of me. We always fussed and fought each other, but when push came to shove, when either of us needed the other, we were there. 

We did have a few things in common. We both loved Billy Joel's "My Life" and some ABBA songs. We both love the Redskins. And in her later years, she got me into watching Ohio State football, the college she graduated from. We both love cats too. In fact, if it where not for her getting upset with me for being depressed over the death of my last cat, I would not have my current cat. She was so concerned with my mental health, she insisted I go to a cat rescue and adopt another cat, which is the one I still have today. 

And she loved my friends as if they were her own sons. Unfortunately she never got to meet Bob or John in person, but she did get to talk to them on Skype. It is some comfort that my mom's ashes and Bob's ashes are now side by side in my house in their respective urns. 

Point is to everyone reading this, tell those you love you love them, every chance you get.

Condolences on the death of your Mum.  Good of you to remember her like this.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I meant to say 3rd birthday of hers without her.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feeling weirdly nostalgic for the early 2010s? TheYoungScientificSkeptic 14 1489 November 15, 2019 at 1:24 am
Last Post: Alex K
  September is the most common birth month. Losty 4 815 June 7, 2019 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: no one
  Is it too early to start drinking? Gawdzilla Sama 13 1441 July 22, 2018 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Do you know why the end of the month is still too far away? Foxaèr 15 2413 April 22, 2018 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  The end of this month cannot come fast enough Foxaèr 22 4345 April 15, 2018 at 11:46 pm
Last Post: c172
  Planing on going to Brisbane Aus early nxt yr Brian37 27 3332 December 27, 2017 at 8:49 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  1000th Post/ 6 Month Anniv. mlmooney89 20 1905 December 6, 2016 at 5:17 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  This Month I Became part-qualified Fidel_Castronaut 5 951 May 2, 2016 at 11:40 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  9 Month Anniversary Rhondazvous 14 2544 January 14, 2016 at 10:40 am
Last Post: Longhorn
Brick Nutters nearly lunch an early munch. Violet 6 930 June 2, 2015 at 2:05 pm
Last Post: Kitty Galore