Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The relationship between Anger and Aggression.
The relationship between Anger and Aggression.
How do you think anger and aggression differ, how are they similar, and what is the general relationship between them?

Furthermore, do you think anger can cause aggression, or do you think aggression can cause anger? Or both? Or neither?

Thoughts?

Discuss.
RE: The relationship between Anger and Aggression.
Anger is the emotion and aggression is the manifestation of that emotion.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
What about when anger is kept inside boiling? Is that not anger then? Is that intense resentment or something, and it only becomes anger when it is let out?
(February 5, 2011 at 2:42 pm)DoubtVsFaith Wrote: What about when anger is kept inside boiling? Is that not anger then? Is that intense resentment or something, and it only becomes anger when it is let out?

It's think it's still anger, but like any emotion, anger can have different 'flavors' (resentment, like you said, and also moral outrage, humiliated fury, bitterness, scorn/contempt), depending on the eliciting factors and the situation.

And then there's the anger that, when kept inside, gets turned around on the self in the form of self-hatred and self-destructiveness, versus other-directed aggressiveness.

[Image: 186305514v6_480x480_Front_Color-Black-1.jpg]
Corporations can behave aggressively. A corporation cannot be angry.
"If an injury must be done to a man, it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared" - Niccolo Macchiavelli
(February 6, 2011 at 9:45 am)Ubermensch Wrote: Corporations can behave aggressively. A corporation cannot be angry.

Good point. I think that's using a broader and more accurate meaning of aggression.IE Behaviour which ignores,dismisses or trivialises the feelings and rights of others. This definition looks at 'the what' rather than 'the why'
Well the why is simple, because one for whatever reason, considers the feelings and rights of others to be unimportant, or less important than the perceived material gain.
"If an injury must be done to a man, it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared" - Niccolo Macchiavelli
(February 7, 2011 at 2:06 am)Ubermensch Wrote: Well the why is simple, because one for whatever reason, considers the feelings and rights of others to be unimportant, or less important than the perceived material gain.

Just material gain? I'm not sure it's that simple.

EG One upsmanship is essentially aggressive yet does not necessarily entail a material gain. Behaviour which falls under the broad heading of 'passive aggression' is not usually about material gain.

I fear that I may be more passive-aggressive than I am aware.... :S

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is it normal be a hetro-sexual and having no relationship experience? Sterben 61 5757 March 10, 2018 at 12:28 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  Being right in a relationship Foxaèr 41 3537 October 31, 2017 at 2:31 pm
Last Post: brewer
  How do you deal with anger? Macoleco 30 7260 June 25, 2017 at 11:41 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Some relationship advice NuclearEnergy 34 4375 June 19, 2017 at 8:50 am
Last Post: Joods
  Honor between soldiers/fighters? Macoleco 62 3939 November 22, 2016 at 8:50 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Would you have a relationship with a member of your immediate family? rado84 134 8084 October 11, 2016 at 3:22 am
Last Post: MJ the Skeptical
  Boundaries (or 'My Latest Exercise in Anger Management') BrianSoddingBoru4 29 2462 August 8, 2016 at 4:08 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Seeing a Woman: A conversation between father and son. Catholic_Lady 7 1225 January 18, 2016 at 10:31 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  My pathetic whining about how I want a relationship DespondentFishdeathMasochismo 106 8987 December 1, 2015 at 2:49 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Anger management? Chad32 18 2133 October 30, 2015 at 8:51 pm
Last Post: Bob Kelso