Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 2:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's be biblically literary
Let's be biblically literary
Jesus only symbolically died on the cross, he only metaphorically died for your rhetorical sins, and god's hyperbole is described in his all-loving two-dimensional character.

Read
RE: Let's be biblically literary
(September 3, 2019 at 8:49 pm)Fierce Wrote: Jesus only symbolically died on the cross, he only metaphorically died for your rhetorical sins, and god's hyperbole is described in his all-loving two-dimensional character.

Read

God does not literally exist.

Oh I like this one:

Adam and Eve living in a garden talking to a snake and eating a fruit from a tree? LOL silly that did not happen.

Jesus born of a virgin? Well yeah of course he did.
Point is if there was something so important in the Bible it wouldn't be written in metaphors and poetry so that you can and must interpret it in many ways, but it would be written in a clear way, like the Constitution.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(September 3, 2019 at 8:49 pm)Fierce Wrote: Jesus only symbolically died on the cross, he only metaphorically died for your rhetorical sins, and god's hyperbole is described in his all-loving two-dimensional character.

Read

You seem to asserting that symbolically understanding negate them as literal as well? Literalist also acknowledge the symbolic (non-historical) meaning of things like the cross, resurrection, the death of Christ.

They don’t see it as purely the acknowledgement of some historical reality that took place 2000 years ago, but symbolically representative of our condition now as well. The latter more important than the former in terms of acceptance.

(September 3, 2019 at 10:19 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote: Point is if there was something so important in the Bible it wouldn't be written in metaphors and poetry so that you can and must interpret it in many ways, but it would be written in a clear way, like the Constitution.

What would it be then? Some series of scientific and historic facts about reality, and some sort of law book?
@Acrobat

It wouldn’t be a book at all, for one.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
It's simple. You want to convince me you exist (if I'm doubtful of your existence) show up to my door and knock. Or at least interact with me in a way that is clear to me you exist.

If God doesn't care, why would it even bother to inspire men to write mythologies and other forms of literature open to various interpretations?

If God cares, why not be clear? If I'm in danger, why not be clear about that to me? If clarity is not the purpose and/or I'm not in any spiritual danger, why should I care?
(September 3, 2019 at 10:19 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote: Point is if there was something so important in the Bible it wouldn't be written in metaphors and poetry so that you can and must interpret it in many ways, but it would be written in a clear way, like the Constitution.

If there were an omnipotent god, it would do exactly what Fake Messiah would do. No doubt of that.
(September 4, 2019 at 1:43 am)Belaqua Wrote:
(September 3, 2019 at 10:19 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote: Point is if there was something so important in the Bible it wouldn't be written in metaphors and poetry so that you can and must interpret it in many ways, but it would be written in a clear way, like the Constitution.

If there were an omnipotent god, it would do exactly what Fake Messiah would do. No doubt of that.

Or like the writers of the United States Constitution. Imagine if United States Constitution was written like Bible: in poetry and metaphors and stories, then you would have wars waging for what each of the amendments really means. But it is not. It was written in straight forward crystal language that even when translated doesn't lose it's meaning.

That's why when you have an unclear text that you can interpret this way or that way and many other ways, then you can't say that there's a serious message there to begin with.

Although I'm not saying I would not be a much better God than the supposed God is right now, as almost everyone would be with hurricanes, wars, famine, plagues, etcetera, that he creates and can't stop.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(September 4, 2019 at 1:43 am)Belaqua Wrote:

And do you really think this is what Fake Messiah is saying? If the purpose is to inform us of something very important for our spiritual wellbeing, then FM is being reasonable.
(September 4, 2019 at 2:06 am)Grandizer Wrote: If the purpose is to inform us of something very important for our spiritual wellbeing, then FM is being reasonable.

If the purpose is to inform us straight out of something that it wants to tell us straight out, then I guess it would do so. 

Why do we assume that an omni-type deity would do that? Is it possible that it's better for people to learn it for themselves? Being a great pianist includes the process of learning. It might be that being morally good includes that also. 

I don't know, since I'm not omniscient. But assuming that a god which is far beyond human understanding would share our opinions about things seems unjustified.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Let's say we evolved from Lions Mystic 27 4227 May 29, 2018 at 10:21 am
Last Post: brewer
  Let's edit the NT. Gawdzilla Sama 27 3104 January 26, 2018 at 8:48 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  The next time someone says their religious text is a literary miracle... ReptilianPeon 4 1708 October 22, 2015 at 3:18 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Let's play Pascals wager expanded edition dyresand 4 1957 September 24, 2015 at 6:22 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Let's Just Say... Revelation777 156 24664 June 21, 2014 at 7:06 pm
Last Post: Cato
  A.J Jacob's year of living biblically theVOID 4 2224 February 18, 2010 at 11:23 pm
Last Post: Rhage