Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Serious] The American beer thread
The American beer thread
So, we're all familiar with the stereotypes surrounding American beer. To be perfectly frank, the typical beer from a brewery that was around prior to and after Prohibition - and those that emulate them - well, they're pretty shitty, yeah. American Industrial Lager is shit, to be sure. No offense intended to those that swill Bud Lite or MGD. You do you, you sexy beast.

To be fair though....I've traveled, and there's shit beer all over the place.

This thread is not about those beers, though.

Back in the 1980s, coincidentally around around when I became of legal age, something wonderful happened. I lived near ground zero of one of the well known hotspots for the nascent craft beer industry. Prior, we had to go to European exports to get a fix on good beer. Our reputation had been well-deserved. But that would change, or should have, if not for inertia.

Just to illustrate, about a mile from my house there's a taphouse that has around 60(?) taps and not a single industrial among them. Amazing ales, lagers, cider, sours, Kombucha... Likewise the vast majority of the local stores that sell beer have dozens of choices that aren't industrials. Around here, industrial still probably outsells craft but that gap is closing.

What is this thread about? It's about the amazing USAian beers that we're drinking.
RE: The American beer thread
Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing in Denver, Colorado.

9.5% ABV. 75 IBUs. Black as my first wife's heart, roasted malt goodness, with ample hop bitterness. Yeah it's pretty alcoholic but it's a beer you'd sip and savor - though I will note that the strongest Imperial Stout I've encountered was 14% ABV, rivalling dry red wines. Not served in pints.

They make a Bourbon barrel aged version annually that is sublime.
Dragon's Milk Stout from New Holland. 11% ABV. $16 for a four pack. Steep but very nice. I am a fan of IPA's. Laguanita's does a good job. First brew pub I went to was in California in the early '80s. Hopland Brewery north of San Fran. Red Tail Ale was fantastic.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

(September 29, 2019 at 5:10 pm)chimp3 Wrote: Dragon's Milk Stout from New Holland. 11% ABV. $16 for a four pack. Steep but very nice. I am a fan of IPA's. Laguanita's does a good job. First brew pub I went to was in California in the early '80s. Hopland Brewery north of San Fran. Red Tail Ale was fantastic.

OMG one of my BFFa brought be a 25 of Dragon's Milk last night. Amazing stuff..

Historically I have not been a huge fan of IPAs but I'm atoning. The New England style hazy IPA appeals.
(September 29, 2019 at 5:10 pm)chimp3 Wrote: Dragon's Milk Stout from New Holland. 11% ABV. $16 for a four pack. Steep but very nice. I am a fan of IPA's. Laguanita's does a good job. First brew pub I went to was in California in the early '80s. Hopland Brewery north of San Fran. Red Tail Ale was fantastic.

OMG one of my BFFa brought be a 25 of Dragon's Milk last night.   Amazing stuff..

Historically I have not been a huge fan of IPAs but I'm atoning.  The New England style hazy IPA appeals to me.
I also like Flying Dog Brewery. Good brew and Ralph Steadman drawn labels!
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

I guess Sam Adams Boston Lager is industrial? I like that, and some of Stone Brewing's offerings, like Arrogant Bastard, Double Bastard and Old Guardian. The wife and I were in Oregon a few years ago and I found some Black Butte that was to my liking as well.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(September 29, 2019 at 7:01 pm)Fireball Wrote: I guess Sam Adams Boston Lager is industrial? I like that, and some of Stone Brewing's offerings, like Arrogant Bastard, Double Bastard and Old Guardian. The wife and I were in Oregon a few years ago and I found some Black Butte that was to my liking as well.

Arrogant Bastard and shots of Seagrams 7.

Yeeeeehawwww..

Great
(September 29, 2019 at 10:05 pm)onlinebiker Wrote:
(September 29, 2019 at 7:01 pm)Fireball Wrote: I guess Sam Adams Boston Lager is industrial? I like that, and some of Stone Brewing's offerings, like Arrogant Bastard, Double Bastard and Old Guardian. The wife and I were in Oregon a few years ago and I found some Black Butte that was to my liking as well.

Arrogant Bastard and shots of Seagrams 7.

Yeeeeehawwww..

Great

I'm more over in the Bastards & Wild Turkey 101 camp, actually. Moderation is key. The hangovers can be impressive.  Doh
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
When we were in Thailand I ran into a beer that I immediately renamed "Kloster fuck."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Non-Alcoholic Beer Foxaèr 48 2500 June 13, 2021 at 5:30 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
Heart American Gods & The Young Pope AnubisBarba 4 420 March 25, 2020 at 4:48 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  A tale of American healthcare as told through one Doctor visit Figbash 14 1647 December 7, 2018 at 11:48 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Link us to your intro thread, first post and/or first thread Whateverist 35 4138 October 21, 2018 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  Say Farewell To An American Icon Minimalist 33 2260 October 16, 2018 at 7:29 pm
Last Post: Schwa
  What the hell is going on with American girls? brewer 14 2118 November 23, 2017 at 11:41 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Evidence of Cultural Decline in Europe - Beer Yoga Neo-Scholastic 4 616 April 26, 2017 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  American gun laws summed up in memes dyresand 158 20186 February 12, 2016 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Losty
  The Craft Beer Revolution Polaris 67 8259 June 7, 2015 at 7:47 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  Kid accidentally packs beer in lunchbox, tells teacher, gets punished anyway Napoléon 11 2814 February 27, 2014 at 6:26 pm
Last Post: Napoléon