Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Godly Motivations
Godly Motivations
God does stuff, and has done stuff.  We're told this constantly.

Why?  What could possibly motivate such a being to create or do anything?  God knows everything and can do everything.  God is complete and unchanging.  How could such a being possibly have any motivation whatsoever? 

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: Godly Motivations
It can't. That's the problem with giving it those attributes. To be motivated it would have to have some sort of ultimate goal in mind but be unaware of the outcome of the goal it has set. So yeah, it can't, that is, if it's omni-everything.
Some theologians, in fact, argue that God doesn't do anything.

Nevertheless, I agree with the point you're making, Brian.
(October 16, 2019 at 6:53 am)Grandizer Wrote: Some theologians, in fact, argue that God doesn't do anything.

Nevertheless, I agree with the point you're making, Brian.

I'm perfectly happy to accept that God doesn't do anything.  Smile

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(October 16, 2019 at 5:43 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: God does stuff, and has done stuff.  We're told this constantly.

Why?  What could possibly motivate such a being to create or do anything?  God knows everything and can do everything.  God is complete and unchanging.  How could such a being possibly have any motivation whatsoever? 

Boru

Itchy balls? Dunno
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
God apparently got bored after all that creatin' and subsequent destroyin'.

If he actually still did anything I would hope he would send a plague of frogs or a bolt of lightning to the White House.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(October 16, 2019 at 5:43 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: God does stuff, and has done stuff.  We're told this constantly.

Boru

I think you already know the answer to this.

Different Christians believe different things. Those things are sometimes incompatible.

Ken Ham thinks that God has motivations.

Paul Tillich thinks that God is the motivation.
(October 16, 2019 at 6:48 pm)Belaqua Wrote:

Boru

Different Christians believe different things. Those things are sometimes incompatible.

I don't think he is asking what the dimwits think.   He is asking whether there is any thinking at all on these subjects that can possibly not be dismissed out of hand as being from dimwits. 

BTW, that was nice way to not answer the question but to take the opportunity to put on an impressively sincere affectation of breadth of counterfeit knowledge, by way of insinuating a vast depth of make belief profundity.
(October 16, 2019 at 6:48 pm)Belaqua Wrote:

Boru

Ken Ham “thinks” the world is 6000 years old, that Noah’s flood actually happened and there were dinosaurs on a rudderless boat.

He also believes that he is entitled to break the law thanks to his beliefs.

Paul Tillich I’ve heard of but don’t know enough about to comment on.
Dying to live, living to die.
(October 16, 2019 at 6:56 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Ken Ham “thinks” the world is 6000 years old, that Noah’s flood actually happened and there were dinosaurs on a rudderless boat.

He also believes that he is entitled to break the law thanks to his beliefs.

Paul Tillich I’ve heard of but don’t know enough about to comment on.

I agree that Ken Ham is a dummy. I hope that if I mention a name it isn't always taken as an endorsement!