Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Egypt is free, Egypt is free."
"Egypt is free, Egypt is free."
Mubarak stepped down today, and the people of Egypt are getting together and celebrating. Its so beautiful to watch. I'm really happy for them.

Sarah M

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." Carl Sagan

It is true, that which I have revealed to you; there is no God, no universe, no human race, no earthly life, no heaven, no hell. It is all a dream—a grotesque and foolish dream. Nothing exists but you. And you are but a thought—a vagrant thought, a useless thought, a homeless thought, wandering forlorn among the empty eternities!
Mark Twain

"I always had a repulsive need to be something more than human."
(David Bowie)

"Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all."
(Hypatia of Alexandria)

"Fables should be taught as fables, myths as myths, and miracles as poetic fancies. To teach superstitions as truths is a most terrible thing. The child-mind accepts and believes them, and only through great pain and perhaps tragedy can he be in after-years relieved of them. In fact, men will fight for a superstition quite as quickly as for a living truth - often more so, since a superstition is so intangible you can not get at it to refute it, but truth is a point of view, and so is changeable."
Hypatia
RE: "Egypt is free, Egypt is free."
...and the military are taking over. That never ends well...
(February 11, 2011 at 1:31 pm)Tiberius Wrote: ...and the military are taking over. That never ends well...

Oh no, probably not Sad
Sarah M

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." Carl Sagan

It is true, that which I have revealed to you; there is no God, no universe, no human race, no earthly life, no heaven, no hell. It is all a dream—a grotesque and foolish dream. Nothing exists but you. And you are but a thought—a vagrant thought, a useless thought, a homeless thought, wandering forlorn among the empty eternities!
Mark Twain

(David Bowie)

"Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all."
(Hypatia of Alexandria)

"Fables should be taught as fables, myths as myths, and miracles as poetic fancies. To teach superstitions as truths is a most terrible thing. The child-mind accepts and believes them, and only through great pain and perhaps tragedy can he be in after-years relieved of them. In fact, men will fight for a superstition quite as quickly as for a living truth - often more so, since a superstition is so intangible you can not get at it to refute it, but truth is a point of view, and so is changeable."
Hypatia
[Image: warningsharp128650383844633611.jpg]

When the euphoria dies down the underlying systemic problems in Egypt will not have changed one iota.
Maybe not, but at least now they'll be free to publically complain about the government when things go back to being crappy. And also voting, I guess that's important too.
"If an injury must be done to a man, it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared" - Niccolo Macchiavelli
The productivity of Egypt is so low that majority of so-called middle class spends 50% of their gross income on food. If the wheat harvest in China fails catastrophically this summer, as it is showing every evidence of doing, China will go out into the international market and buy up all the wheat in sight and drive up grain prices through the roof. Then we will see real unrest in Egypt.
Quote:And also voting, I guess that's important too.

A quote usually attributed to Josef Stalin goes:

Quote:“The people who cast the votes don't decide an election, the people who count the votes do.”

Depends on how much the members of the military can think for themselves. If they train their military like all i've had the displeasure of seeing... then the next revolt by the people unhappy with their new military government will probably be met with mass slaughter. There's just so much reason to celebrate and be happy for them...?
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(February 11, 2011 at 6:57 pm)Aerzia Saerules Arktuos Wrote: Depends on how much the members of the military can think for themselves. If they train their military like all i've had the displeasure of seeing... then the next revolt by the people unhappy with their new military government will probably be met with mass slaughter. There's just so much reason to celebrate and be happy for them...?

You have a point. This really isn't going to be any better is it?
Sigh.
Sarah M

Mark Twain

(David Bowie)

(Hypatia of Alexandria)

Hypatia

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The end of free speech and free protest in the UK Gooders1002 3 1425 January 31, 2014 at 1:43 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Muslim Brotherhood is now a terrorist group in Egypt! Dragonetti 10 2999 December 27, 2013 at 7:54 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Salafists profit from turmoil in Egypt Something completely different 2 1291 July 17, 2013 at 5:28 am
Last Post: NoraBrimstone
  Egypt - Army seizes power. Something completely different 34 7852 July 8, 2013 at 9:10 pm
Last Post: cratehorus
  Muslim Brotherhood: Egypt "coup" may require martyrdom Faith No More 7 2204 July 3, 2013 at 7:31 am
Last Post: Zen Badger
  Egypt issues arrest warrants for film makers of anti-Islam video A Theist 23 7831 October 29, 2012 at 10:25 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Congratulations, Egypt Minimalist 12 18946 July 5, 2012 at 10:07 am
Last Post: kılıç_mehmet
  Morsi, Egypt’s first Islamist president cratehorus 2 1597 June 30, 2012 at 1:18 am
Last Post: cratehorus
  Arab Spring - Egypt and the Muslim countries with the test hijab. Koldaramor 5 2792 April 14, 2012 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Egypt leaves the Internet muhtesem insan 71 17714 February 14, 2011 at 8:19 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious