Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Live in"
"Live in"
I just thought about this, and YES, it is a meaningless pedantic silly thought on my part.

Humans say, "I live in" (insert geographic location here.)

"I live in America", or "I live in China" or, "I live in Japan", or "I live in Iran", or "I live in Ghana", or "I live in Mexico", ect ect ect.

#1 we all live on the same planet. 

But I since gravity, while we can fly, and have even escaped earth's gravity, when we talk about "living", we really live on the surface of the planet, not in it.  So wouldn't it be more accurate to say "I spend most of my time living on America's surface?"

I remember seeing a show called, "You Live In A What?" And one guy bought an old cold war missile silo and turned it into a private house. If you are living underground, then you can say, "I live in". But if you live on the surface, then you are "living on."
RE: "Live in"
No offence, but reminds me of this:

[Image: Screen-Shot-2014-11-07-at-17.48.33.png]
(December 23, 2019 at 1:30 pm)Editz Wrote: No offence, but reminds me of this:

[Image: Screen-Shot-2014-11-07-at-17.48.33.png]

If I am understanding this cartoon correctly, and correct me if I am wrong, but the motorist's excuse backfired on him when he got to court?
He's a regular character in the looooong running Brit "grownup" magazine called Viz. Here's another one:

[Image: 147_TBB_Logic.jpg]
Humans can't fly. Humans ride in aircraft.
‘In’ is understood to mean ‘within the boundaries of’.  I think we can take ‘on the surface of’ as read.  And you never, EVER escape gravity.

But I do agree with you that you’re being meaningless, pedantic and silly.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(December 23, 2019 at 1:57 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: ‘In’ is understood to mean ‘within the boundaries of’.  I think we can take ‘on the surface of’ as read.  And you never, EVER escape gravity.

Boru
I live in the area called "Missouri". But I have friends who live IN an opal mine.
(December 23, 2019 at 1:57 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: ‘In’ is understood to mean ‘within the boundaries of’.  I think we can take ‘on the surface of’ as read.  And you never, EVER escape gravity.

Boru

I live on North Carolina, that is my story, and I am sticking to it, just like ABBA.
ABBA get a lot of flak, but they're fookin' ace IMO and that's that. Talk about phat production values. I'm being confined to a relative's attic due to...er...pending homelessness, and why would anybody make THAT up! In grey old rainy England  Violin Should that be "on the roof?"

I said on the roof and Hidden agenda are one of my faves.
(December 23, 2019 at 3:04 pm)Brian37 Wrote:

Boru

I live on North Carolina, that is my story, and I am sticking to it, just like ABBA.

ABBA live in North Carolina?  Must be quite a change for them.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  World Record for live ferrets in pants SimpleCaveman 0 357 January 26, 2024 at 12:55 pm
Last Post: SimpleCaveman
  For the old farts who pay their bills w/live people. Brian37 11 635 September 24, 2020 at 4:20 am
Last Post: Brian37
  You have 48 hours to live! The Valkyrie 27 2773 April 30, 2020 at 7:49 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Reincarnate with me if you want to live.... Brian37 0 337 May 2, 2019 at 9:24 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Phrases to Live By Allnewoutlook 22 2930 December 29, 2014 at 9:05 am
Last Post: Allnewoutlook
  Some funny news from just arround where I live. Something completely different 2 1383 September 10, 2013 at 9:40 am
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  24/7 live prank calls Red_Baron 7 6069 April 17, 2011 at 3:47 am
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused