Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Australia on fire
Australia on fire
Finally, prequel to Mad Max.

Quote:Australia today: Penrith, near Sydney, was for a time the hottest place on earth: 48.9°C 4,000 km2 burned in Victoria state Third of Kangaroo Island burned (1700 km2) Some bushfires generating own weather, incl. tornadoes, thunderstorms “indescribable hell and devastation”

teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: Australia on fire
Cold and raining all day as I type this. Go figure Dunno
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
I just had another "God I love ignoramus's avater!" moment. However, back to this deadly serious and frankly tragic topic:

http://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1...e=5EA17CF7

"This is me, sheltering my kids on the beach at Malua Bay on New Year's Eve. (Three year old daughter in my lap and 6 year old son under that stripey towel).

I was angry and scared about our government's inaction on climate change before, but now I am furious and terrified. This disaster was exactly what I needed to snap me out of my funk, feeling like all of my activism and personal eco-choices were not achieving anything and thinking I needed to step back and regroup. This photo is my wake up call. All I could do down on that beach was protect my kids. And that's what climate activism is all about - protecting our kids. So feel free, if you are feeling down and helpless, to draw some rage and determination from this photo. It is going to fuel me through 2020, as we collectively take the wheel and swerve this country away from ecological suicide."
Australia fires: Royal Family sends 'thoughts and prayers'

Arrgghh Arrgghh Arrgghh Arrgghh Arrgghh Arrgghh Arrgghh Arrgghh

[Image: thoughts.jpeg]
Temperature's been only in the low to mid 20's (Celcius) today in the Sydney area.

Rain (Showers) possible.

Spent the night looking after a building who's roof had had a significant emotional event.

So... wandering around making sure nothing else went wrong and looking up at the stars while inside a building. That was a... new... experiance.

Cheers.

Not at work.

(January 4, 2020 at 7:26 pm)Editz Wrote: I just had another "God I love ignoramus's avater!" moment. However, back to this deadly serious and frankly tragic topic:

http://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1...e=5EA17CF7

"This is me, sheltering my kids on the beach at Malua Bay on New Year's Eve. (Three year old daughter in my lap and 6 year old son under that stripey towel).

I was angry and scared about our government's inaction on climate change before, but now I am furious and terrified. This disaster was exactly what I needed to snap me out of my funk, feeling like all of my activism and personal eco-choices were not achieving anything and thinking I needed to step back and regroup. This photo is my wake up call. All I could do down on that beach was protect my kids. And that's what climate activism is all about - protecting our kids. So feel free, if you are feeling down and helpless, to draw some rage and determination from this photo. It is going to fuel me through 2020, as we collectively take the wheel and swerve this country away from ecological suicide."

Well... really... All we have to do is dig some channels bewteen Adelaid, lake Torrents and thence lake Eyre.

Let the sea wash in (It'll take a while).
Plant LOTS of mangroves and such in the saltier water to start pulling the salt out of the place (Invest in 'natural' salt harvesting as well. Create possible employment) while evaporation now brings lots more rain across the place.

Big Grin

Cheers.

Not at work.
(January 5, 2020 at 4:02 am)Editz Wrote: Australia fires: Royal Family sends 'thoughts and prayers'

Arrgghh Arrgghh Arrgghh Arrgghh Arrgghh Arrgghh Arrgghh Arrgghh

[Image: thoughts.jpeg]

[Image: d9AAS1M.jpg]
The long timers here know I had a best friend named Bob who lived in Brisbane. His brother and sister in law took care of him for years after financial setbacks, and economic decline in his industry. Bob ended up having a stroke. He ended up in a nursing home. I managed to visit him once for two weeks, a year before he died. Then last year I took Hillbilly Atheist there to see where our friend lived. 

What is frustrating today for me, is that his brother and sister in law, now think I am evil for pointing out the fact of climate change in that humans are causing it. They are huge coal and Trump fans. To this day I cannot explain to them that while I am deeply appreciative of what they did for him economically and especially after his stroke, he didn't think like them. Bob said nothing but good about how much they helped him. But he was not close to them on politics and science. They take offence to me saying this. But this is just as ignorant knowing I loved my late mother, and I'd be living on the streets if it were not for her, but even we had little in common regarding politics and religion. 

Point is, it is frustrating when you see otherwize decent people, cling to the past, and have this subconscious attitude that because they did better than you, or because they did nice things for you, that means they are right about everything.
In the meantime as bushfires rage, Australia is building a coal mine so big that it could push the world beyond the critical 1.5 degrees of warming. So there's a petition to try to stop Siemens who is working on Adani’s Carmichael coal mine project. https://www.stopadani.com/siemens
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
Well, this is way too easy a name-drop:

Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Heartbreaking. I feel so helpless, donations just don't seem like enough Sad

Are there any Aussies here? I hope you are okay.
Illegitimi non carborundum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fire in Brijest - a predictable result of recycling stupidity? FlatAssembler 66 4094 October 28, 2023 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Flint Pastor Calls for Cease Fire onlinebiker 1 262 August 13, 2021 at 6:54 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Facebook unfriends Australia brewer 2 263 February 19, 2021 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Fire at Pier 45 in San Francisco onlinebiker 10 1032 May 24, 2020 at 7:56 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Jump in the fire...... Brian37 19 915 September 19, 2019 at 5:09 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Part of Notre Dame on fire. Brian37 98 5263 April 19, 2019 at 4:08 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  More Logs On The Fire Minimalist 2 369 September 4, 2018 at 1:53 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Australia - New Prime Minister by the end of Today? fromdownunder 28 1843 August 26, 2018 at 10:52 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Time to fire up the log chipper (not for the sensitive or squeamish) vorlon13 22 3657 May 3, 2018 at 7:03 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Fire and Fury Secular Elf 60 7912 January 10, 2018 at 8:46 pm
Last Post: Brian37