Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 11:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2020?
2020?
Do you guys think 2020 is the year it all goes to shit?

A global recession is statistically overdue anyway. Do you think the coronavirus is the black swan which will kickstart it?
Here is Au, we've had a tough start with our fires killing our tourism, in an already weak economy, chain store brands closing almost on a daily basis.

How's it looking in your neck of the woods?

PS, the coronavirus jokes are already starting! too soon?
eg: it won't last long because it's made in China! and everybody there is Kung Flu fighting!

Be safe! Wear protection!

I'm not taking any risks!

No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
RE: 2020?
(February 25, 2020 at 8:39 pm)ignoramus Wrote: Do you guys think 2020 is the year it all goes to shit?

A global recession is statistically overdue anyway. Do you think the coronavirus is the black swan which will kickstart it?
Here is Au, we've had a tough start with our fires killing our tourism, in an already weak economy, chain store brands closing almost on a daily basis.

How's it looking in your neck of the woods?

PS, the coronavirus jokes are already starting! too soon?
eg: it won't last long because it's made in China! and everybody there is Kung Flu fighting!

Be safe! Wear protection!

I'm not taking any risks!

Well. Let's see. The coronavirus affects about 1/10th or less of the people affected with the flu. I personally think that the threat is hyped, and also consider it to be a ploy by shitheads in the stock market to make money, in the same way that spot market fuel prices were manipulated in years past, here in the US.

I have a bit of money in the stock market, and a bit invested in things that are impervious to the stock market. Not quantifying those bits, but I'm not too concerned about a big loss, since I have a quite conservative portfolio, and made it more so earlier this month.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
My investor guy told me to expect a market correction during Trumps presidency. I guess that this might be the start of it.

He's already made preemptive changes but it's still gonna hurt. Hopefully it won't be a 2008.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
That's the problem with corrections. They're indistinguishable from a landslide.
When Ireland collapsed and their property prices were heading downhill, on the way down, they had 3 major corrections where they started to upswing slightly.
Everyone (at the time) thought this might be the end of the downswing, and rightly so, but it ultimately was short lived and they finally hit rock bottom with an 80% decline in property prices. 12 years later, a large portion of home owners are still in negative equity even today.

It just worries me how bad it's going to get if the world does go into a full blown recession without any feds to help. Not like they can cut 4-6% in interest rates (which is/was needed to kickstart a failing economy). Unless of course we want to go into deep negative. Something which has never happened before.

It scare me to find out yesterday that billions of people's super (in the US) are going into 30 year zero bonds. Fuck me!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Remember when the president calmed a nervous nation and tasked the finest minds in the land with conquering the coronavirus threat? Me neither, but I do remember when the stupid fuck defunded the CDC and fired entire pandemic response team and never bothered to replace them.

And CDC now claims that Coronavirus Could Infect 40-70% of Global Population in 2020.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/0...oronavirus
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(February 25, 2020 at 11:22 pm)ignoramus Wrote: That's the problem with corrections. They're indistinguishable from a landslide.
When Ireland collapsed and their property prices were heading downhill, on the way down, they had 3 major corrections where they started to upswing slightly.
Everyone (at the time) thought this might be the end of the downswing, and rightly so, but it ultimately was short lived and they finally hit rock bottom with an 80% decline in property prices. 12 years later, a large portion of home owners are still in negative equity even today.

It just worries me how bad it's going to get if the world does go into a full blown recession without any feds to help. Not like they can cut 4-6% in interest rates (which is/was needed to kickstart a failing economy). Unless of course we want to go into deep negative. Something which has never happened before.

It scare me to find out yesterday that billions of people's super (in the US) are going into 30 year zero bonds. Fuck me!

Call me an SOB, but I'm watching the market, and if housing prices drop far enough, I'll be buying a few houses to rent out until the market comes back up, and then I'll be selling them...if I live long enough. I suspect that the time frame is right for my spawn to live comfortably.  Dodgy
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
Never fell bad if you have to do that. It's nothing personal. If you don't buy it, someone else will.
My safe prediction is if the economy tanks (and there's a 100 different black swans out there right now) before your next elections, it's almost certain imho that Sanders or possibly AOC will probably get elected. Fair call? And then that's the beginning of the end of what's left of the American empire....
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Hindsight is this year.
(February 25, 2020 at 11:22 pm)ignoramus Wrote: That's the problem with corrections. They're indistinguishable from a landslide.

Actually with the new housing bubble, only those who took oit >100% mortgages are still in negative equity. The problem now is that people are struggling paying off mortgages with wages that are lower even in nominal terms than back before the crash (for example I will only hit the same wages in nominal terms as somebody in my grade and increment level had in 2008 by September, never mind real term equivalence). And with a rental market that is a sellers market there is often no option but to struggle on with paying the mortgage, apart from going homeless.

If another 2008 happens the world economy keels over, because the response to 2008 was not to ficx the problems, but paper over the cracks.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
The panic over coronovirus will be over in a number of months. There will be several thousand more fatalities, most likely, but it won't have a global impact that peolle are causing a panic about.

Remember around 60,000 people in the US alone die from the 'flu every year.

I honestly don't think there's a reason to panic over this outbreak.
Dying to live, living to die.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Soul 2020 movie Woah0 6 441 August 19, 2022 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  The August 2020 Derecho & giving thanks to God. Jehanne 8 387 August 23, 2020 at 6:59 pm
Last Post: no one
  Election 2020 Chess Set onlinebiker 16 1272 April 16, 2020 at 8:28 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  If it's 2020 onlinebiker 10 744 January 3, 2020 at 9:52 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama