Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 1:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The August 2020 Derecho & giving thanks to God.
The August 2020 Derecho & giving thanks to God.
I was in it, literally, as it hit my town of 25 years, Cedar Rapids, Iowa with 140 mph wind gusts:

August 2020 Midwest derecho

I had just finished a job downtown, making my living at present as a Field Service Technician, around 12:20 PM CDT.  As I stepped outside a bank, the civil defense sirens went off.  I immediately checked Accuweather on my phone.  The National Weather Service had declared a severe thunderstorm warning with high winds, stating that gusts of up to 90 mph would cause "devastation".  At first I brushed off their warning.  Having lived in Iowa my entire life, I had seen these types of warnings before, and in the past, any destruction had been local, an isolated area of trailer courts.  Still, I was concerned.  By that time my wife was on her way to pick me up, and we agreed that we would go get our other car which had been just repaired on the west side of town.

We never made it.  Along the way, the repair shop called; they wanted their money and they wanted our car gone.  A mile away from them, the winds started to pick up, and I soon realized that this was no ordinary storm.  I asked my wife to head back to our home, and she turned on a side street, asking me to drive.  By that time the winds were a constant 70 mph and debris was starting to fly through the air.

I feared for my life, and especially, for that of my wife and 9-year old daughter, and my 17-year old son at home who was still sleeping after a long night of watching TV.  We headed home but after another mile the winds were so strong I had no choice but to park, with the rear of my car facing the wind.

Another 45 minutes of hell.  Never did I pray, but, I thought that my life and that of my family was going to come to an end.  Debris everywhere, with large branches being pushed down the road.  I parked as far away from trees as I could but they simply started falling over and apart, one by one.

Finally, the winds began to subside, and against the pleas of my wife, I began to slowly head home, concerned about my son and my home.  A few miles later and a mile from my home we set out on foot, as debris clogged nearly every street with flash flooding.

My wife and daughter continued ahead of me, while I helped two men clear a large tree branch off of 1st Ave (US 151 Business) that was blocking traffic.  Finally, I continued on foot, trying to catch up with them; things were a disaster:

[Image: 20200810-140501.jpg]

[Image: 20200810-141026.jpg]

[Image: 20200810-141036.jpg]

I was very concerned about getting through this new narrow passage and the fact I or someone may be instantaneously crushed:

[Image: 20200810-141145.jpg]

And, then, the extent of the destruction began to enter the realm of nightmarish fantasy, as I began to imagine the much, much worse outcome of a nuclear war:

[Image: 20200810-141258.jpg]

A brief moment of joy at seeing my wife and daughter, the threat of electrocution becoming more and more apparent with the many downed power lines:

[Image: 20200810-141915.jpg]

Finally, we made it home, and I was so happy to see my son and the fact that my home was still standing, having sustained damage to my roof and siding, along with a blown-out window:

[Image: 20200810-154332.jpg]

Some in my neighborhood were, unfortunately, not as lucky as I:

[Image: 20200810-160223.jpg]

The next day I found this across my street.  I was so inspired!

[Image: 20200811-055653.jpg]

Eight straight days without power; our food spoiled and my dog became sick from overheat.  Sleepless nights with all of the sirens and hot, humid nights, and no bath for 5 straight days.  On Tuesday, August 18th, my power was restored, and while driving in my neighborhood, I saw this:

[Image: 20200818-173807.jpg]

I feel sorry for them, I really do.  My home means so very much to me, and no doubt, theirs means a lot to them, also.  No doubt, I thought, that their religious beliefs and faith bring them consolations and comforts.  Still, I wondered as I took this photo if they knew about higher Biblical criticism, and the fact that most critical scholars do not look upon the Gospel of John as containing the thoughts and sayings of the historical Jesus.

I know that they have homeowner's insurance, a product of the Enlightenment, which, regardless, will cover this "act of God".
RE: The August 2020 Derecho & giving thanks to God.
Natural disasters can bring about such beauty in nature.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Glad you and the fam are OK and made it thru the torment.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
@Jehanne

Just for shits and giggles, maybe hide tags on posts with this much imagery. Makes it a little easier to manage replies.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
If this destruction is truly an act of God, people should have the legal right to sue the local churches for damages. They are, after all, supposed to be God's representatives on earth. God is clearly guilty of committing an act of malicious mischief and should be required to answer for his actions.  Dodgy
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
(August 23, 2020 at 9:10 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: @Jehanne

Just for shits and giggles, maybe hide tags on posts with this much imagery. Makes it a little easier to manage replies.

Boru

I suppose that it's like a movie with no visuals, just audio. I was trying to tell a story, a very sad one which also had a strange ending.
(August 23, 2020 at 4:00 pm)Jehanne Wrote:
(August 23, 2020 at 9:10 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: @Jehanne

Boru

I suppose that it's like a movie with no visuals, just audio.  I was trying to tell a story, a very sad one which also had a strange ending.

Yeah, I get that - I wasn’t trying to criticize. Just a suggestion.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
My brother and his family live on the west side of CR. Cedar Rapids is my sister-in-law's hometown. They had minimal damage at their house though I guess it did blow in their garage door and knocked power out for a few days. Luckily they were at their lake house in Delhi so the cars were with them received no damage.

@Jehanne I hope you and yours are doing well.

Four years ago our house was nearly destroyed by a freak hail storm and we lost both vehicles. Mother Nature isn't to be underestimated.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Those were the gay trees.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Soul 2020 movie Woah0 6 441 August 19, 2022 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Saying Thanks onlinebiker 16 1558 June 12, 2020 at 11:17 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Election 2020 Chess Set onlinebiker 16 1271 April 16, 2020 at 8:28 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  2020? ignoramus 23 1330 February 29, 2020 at 4:18 am
Last Post: GUBU
  If it's 2020 onlinebiker 10 744 January 3, 2020 at 9:52 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Thanks you being you.... no one 6 574 November 22, 2018 at 10:55 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Thanks to homophobic bigots Foxaèr 7 581 November 10, 2018 at 9:24 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Giving this another go.... Joods 45 3463 August 23, 2016 at 11:49 am
Last Post: Joods
  Need to Vent - Thanks Religious Assholes Salacious B. Crumb 92 7494 August 31, 2015 at 2:21 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Today (August 4) is Obama's Birthday Rhondazvous 3 1026 August 4, 2015 at 11:42 pm
Last Post: c172