Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 3:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soul 2020 movie
Soul 2020 movie
I liked it. I mainly bought it because the guy on front cover reminded me of Moss from The IT Crowd

Administrator Notice
Photo link removed per 30/30 rule.
RE: Soul 2020 movie
I didn't see it. Of course, it peddles dualism, and, in particular, the so-called heretical belief of Origen that "souls" were created prior to conception. The atheistic community basically ignored the movie as being silly and frivolous, not worthy of comment.

Is that what you are getting at here?
I tried watching it because everyone is praising this movie but I just felt like too many things were going on. As if they didn't have a story so they just crammed lots of things as a distraction.

And perhaps most importantly, I couldn't buy the main premise which would be that a guy is trying to escape the afterlife to work his dream job on Earth that he finally got. I mean, it is hard to believe that if someone was dead and discovered that there is a (nice?) afterlife they would want to go back to work no matter what the job was. Seriously, why bother?

And I gave up when the main character turned into a cat. But should I continue?
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
You haven't spoiled it, at least for me.
Never heard of it, but it doesn't sound like I'm missing much!
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(August 19, 2022 at 12:06 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote: And perhaps most importantly, I couldn't buy the main premise which would be that a guy is trying to escape the afterlife to work his dream job on Earth that he finally got. I mean, it is hard to believe that if someone was dead and discovered that there is a (nice?) afterlife they would want to go back to work no matter what the job was. Seriously, why bother?

And I gave up when the main character turned into a cat. But should I continue?

It's not that hard to believe if he still had emotional ties to life on Earth. He still has family, friends, Hell, he still has a desire to make something of his life on Earth beyond being a seemingly mediocre music teacher with a stillborn career in two disparate genres.

And, trust me, there's more to the movie after Joe's soul possesses the cat's body (and 22 possesses Joe's body.)

It's a great movie once you get past the dualism inherent in the premise. Ideally by remembering that one of the director's previous three movies were about homunculi who were in charge of a little girl's emotions, and that his first one involved monsters who powered their cities with the screams of children.

And, on the off chance that the OP's still reading this, the Maurice Moss connection goes deeper than the main character's passing resemblance to Richard Ayoade (Which I don't really see):

Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
I actually think the message of Soul was phenomenal. So what if it assumed dualism? The point of the movie is not dualism, the point of the movie is that one's reason for living - one's "spark," as they call it in the movie - is not tied to a hobby or career path. The meaning of life is to simply be alive and enjoy the moment for what it is. That's a pretty profound lesson for kids IMO.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Last Movie You Watched Foxaèr 5426 474861 April 17, 2024 at 1:13 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  What is your movie guilty pleasure? arewethereyet 51 3692 December 18, 2022 at 12:42 am
  Charles Bronson movie star Woah0 9 766 September 12, 2022 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  In Hunchback of Notre Dame Disney movie, does Quasimodo imagine the gargoyles Woah0 5 556 August 24, 2022 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: Woah0
  How come "Snow White Disney movie" was so disliked by J.R.R Tolkien and C.S Lewis Woah0 3 451 August 21, 2022 at 10:56 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Horror movie suggestions BrokenQuill92 16 1575 December 7, 2021 at 5:25 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Parent Trap movie, do you think Lindsay Lohan does British English well in it? Sweden83 6 941 December 5, 2020 at 2:50 pm
  Unhinged movie, what you think of it? Sweden83 5 451 December 3, 2020 at 1:44 pm
  Name a movie that would have been creepy with a sex scene The Valkyrie 40 2234 November 21, 2020 at 12:45 pm
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  Last movie you didn't watch Fake Messiah 43 2785 November 16, 2020 at 7:02 pm