Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 2:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Easter
Easter
Any family traditions you want to share, or plans for this year during the lockdown?

When I was a kid, Easter was easily the least religious ‘holy’ day of the year. A quick(ish) sunrise Mass, then home to get everything ready to feed 50-60 people. Lamb, pork shoulder, goose, neeps, spuds, cabbage in various forms, egg and breads likewise, and a bewildering array of nibbles. Games and music, and a betting pool as to when Uncle Aaron would pass out.

These days, it’s burgers and chips.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: Easter
When my paternal grandparents were still alive the family would gather at the farm for a traditional Easter feast.

We kids would have received Easter baskets at home and a new outfit and shoes and then each little family group would go to mass before we met up. My family was/is pretty small. As with most holiday gatherings the men folk would play some cards before falling asleep in front of the TV. The women would talk and take care of younger cousins. My cousin Russ and I would change into outside clothes and climb all over the farm. We checked out the animals, climbed in the barns and corn cribs, played with the various dogs and cats...if real bored we would take shovels and clean off the hog floor for grandpa or hammer nails into random bits of wood in his workshop or use his awls or planes and generally make a mess.

This year. No plans...just more of the same as the last several days. TV, naps, snacking...letting the dogs outside, letting them back in. Livin' the dream.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Usually, on Good Friday, we’d go to Walmart and get some bunnies and maybe whatever DVDs or Blu-Rays were available and piqued my interest. Of course, that’s not really an option now, what with the shelter in place order. Pity, since I was looking forward to getting Joker and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

Also on Good Friday, I’d listen to the St. Matthew Passion.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Eat Hasenpfeffer and the race of death.
My Easters were camping at the beach.
Usually a nudist beach. A lot of nudist families would congregate in one place each year for Easter.

In my teenage years I got rid of Easter and I don't celebrate it at all with my kid.
We eat lots of chocolate all year round though, I'm not a sadist. :-)

Easter is canceled, they found the body.
Easter just means a long weekend, but since I'm not working anyway due to the virus it means nothing!
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Around here my wife would roast a turkey or a ham, with ham being prevalent. But several years ago we rebelled against ham (and she got tired of fixing a turkey) so now I roast a leg of lamb on a rotisserie. Hungry  Unfortunately, CostCo didn't have a leg of lamb in stock last time we went, and the closest grocers want $50+ for one.  Panic I got lamb loin chops instead. Them and baby potatoes and a few other things will be it. We didn't get to the See's Candy store before the hunker down started.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
[Image: 3w24jy.jpg]

Since the oldies passed on, it's just turkey slices and ham slices from the oven for lunch. With assorted veggies. (at the inlaws.)
Plenty of Baileys and then sleep on the carpet in the loungeroom while the Good Friday telethon is on. Get up about 5pm and go home and try to avoid the booze bus.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Happy Easter!! Jehanne 13 880 April 17, 2022 at 10:42 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Happy Easter!! Jehanne 52 3431 April 22, 2019 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Happy Easter!! 🌸🥚🌸 KittyAnn 23 2501 March 30, 2018 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Joods
  What did you eat for Easter? KUSA 33 2674 March 28, 2016 at 10:08 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Happy Easter everyone! Jehanne 1 797 March 28, 2016 at 4:46 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Happy Easter/Pagan Spring Celebration thing Ben Davis 1 1032 April 17, 2014 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
  Easter Dinner BrokenQuill92 19 2587 March 20, 2014 at 5:57 pm
Last Post: OGirly