Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 3:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Philosophical Failures of Christian Apologetics, Part 11: The Holy Spirit
Philosophical Failures of Christian Apologetics, Part 11: The Holy Spirit
ACX has made another video Popcorn

POWER!!!!.. UNLIMITED POWER!!!!!
RE: Philosophical Failures of Christian Apologetics, Part 11: The Holy Spirit
Not seen the whole video yet, but off the bat WLC readily admits that he's not convinced by logic or reason, but by "inner witness of the Holy Spirit". As people have been saying for so long, that which you haven't been reasoned into, what logic and reason will you use to convince those who are not convinced by logic and reason, ala Sam Harris?
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman
(June 9, 2020 at 11:39 am)Sal Wrote: what logic and reason will you use to convince those who are not convinced by logic and reason, ala Sam Harris?

I recommend blunt force trauma which produces the desired effect of lack of consciousness, results may vary based on the amount of force applied and location on the body where its applied

Dead Horse Computer
POWER!!!!.. UNLIMITED POWER!!!!!
(June 9, 2020 at 11:39 am)Sal Wrote: Not seen the whole video yet, but off the bat WLC readily admits that he's not convinced by logic or reason, but by "inner witness of the Holy Spirit". As people have been saying for so long, that which you haven't been reasoned into, what logic and reason will you use to convince those who are not convinced by logic and reason, ala Sam Harris?

I have a problem with that.

The vast majority of theists aren't reasoned into their theistic beliefs, yet the vast majority of theists that become atheists (deconvert), are reasoned out of their theistic beliefs.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
William Lane Craig is like a character from The Wizard Of Oz: a philosopher who doesn't know how to think. He considers reason to be completely subservient to faith.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
"Inner witness of the holy spirit" is performative language. He would likely be insulted if someone asked him flat out if he heard voices - like any other christian who uses terms of art. It probably does reflect a cognitive truth, though. He believes, because he strongly believes. He didn't argue himself into it, and he won't be argued out of it.

It's also possible that deconverts have a mistaken impression of what led them to their current state. Post hoc, ergo propter hoc. They realized they were atheists after hearing some argument, but the argument was only compelling because they had already ceased to believe and the argument provided them with semantics for whatever internal doubt they already felt.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
WLC should read a science book to see how mind works or at least look at Julia Sweeney's play "Letting Go Of God" on YouTube because she figured it out just by educating herself:

Julia Sweeney's play "Letting Go Of God Wrote:Then, I started reading about all about these experiments on the function of the temporal lobes. These doctors figured out how to stimulate, electromagnetically, the right temporal lobe. People who wore this helmet experienced a sense of transcendent understanding, an overwhelming peace and connectedness, and sometimes the presence of God. Or, of, Aliens. This was often accompanied by a white light. Everyone has certain right temporal lobe sensitivity, and we're all susceptible to these experiences.

So, this could have been what was happening to me when I had my "Heal me, Heal me" experience. Of course that doesn't mean that God just doesn't use this physical way to allow us to experience Him, or Her, or Whoever. But that sure was interesting.

I learned that because our brain is in some deep, fundamental ways, unaware of itself, hallucinations like I had, or like that people have of angels or ghosts, or out-of-body or near death experiences are perceived as real encounters or actual events. And so most people, including me, instinctively think of the mind as something separate from the body. Even though there is no evidence that they are separate.

But WLC will never educate himself because he's a snake oil salesman who is counting that people will stay away from science and listen to him instead. Just like Deepak Chopra will never read a book on quantum physics although he claims that God is energy and the quantum field to people who will believe him because they won't check what scientists actually say about that.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
christians would be happier if there were more NDE's.

(no, no, not the autoerotic kind, bunch of perverts)
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(June 18, 2020 at 7:07 pm)brewer Wrote: christians would be happier if there were more NDE's.

WLC would be much happier if more people were suffering from mental disorders because he would sell more books

[Image: Religion-mental-disorders.jpg]
(June 18, 2020 at 7:07 pm)brewer Wrote: christians would be happier if there were more NDE's.

(no, no, not the autoerotic kind, bunch of perverts)

I thought "autoerotic" was sex with cars?
Dying to live, living to die.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Holy Trinity Duty 22 2588 December 21, 2020 at 2:23 pm
Last Post: Prycejosh1987
  The 'Holy' Drug Matt 8 3544 October 11, 2018 at 11:10 am
Last Post: Sal
  Isn't Atheism anti Christian than anti religious? Western part atleast Kibbi 14 3446 October 5, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Why Atheism/Secular Humanism... Part II TheReal 53 25612 April 23, 2018 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  Holy mountains Fake Messiah 2 1041 March 12, 2018 at 10:06 am
Last Post: Chad32
  Best part of atheism for you Alexmahone 43 6250 January 9, 2018 at 10:34 am
Last Post: DodosAreDead
  Jeffrey Jay Lowder VICTIMs of Christian Apologetics video GrandizerII 7 2387 October 26, 2016 at 9:18 am
Last Post: abaris
  Holy books on trial mcolafson 7 1555 September 29, 2016 at 11:03 pm
Last Post: CWoods
  Atheism the unscientific belief (part one, two, and three) Little Rik 3049 351418 April 11, 2016 at 8:38 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  insult the holy spirit Longhorn 47 8695 June 10, 2015 at 10:42 am
Last Post: comet