Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Temperature Dependence of Protein Folding Deduced from Quantum Transition
Temperature Dependence of Protein Folding Deduced from Quantum Transition
Damn cool shit!

Quote:A quantum theory on conformation-electron system is presented. Protein folding is regarded as the quantum transition between torsion states on polypeptide chain, and the folding rate is calculated by nonadiabatic operator method. The theory is used to study the temperature dependences of folding rate of 15 proteins and their non-Arrhenius behavior can all be deduced in a natural way. A general formula on the rate-temperature dependence has been deduced which is in good accordance with experimental data. These temperature dependences are further analyzed in terms of torsion potential parameters. Our results show it is necessary to move outside the realm of classical physics when the temperature dependence of protein folding is studied quantitatively.

REF: http://arxiv.org/abs/1102.3748

RE: Temperature Dependence of Protein Folding Deduced from Quantum Transition
A good read. Big Grin

Now if this theory were to bring about the discovery of more quantum phases then I couldn't even begin to imagine the potential technological benefits that would be realised.
Amazing, I love seeing breakthroughs in the effects of quantum strangeness on biology, this was even cooler than single celled organisms behaving like waves in double-slit experiments...
(February 23, 2011 at 7:15 am)theVOID Wrote: Amazing, I love seeing breakthroughs in the effects of quantum strangeness on biology, this was even cooler than single celled organisms behaving like waves in double-slit experiments...

Sorry if I'm mistaken, but don't they fire single photons (single units of EMR) when doing the double slit experiment ?

They can do it with anything just over the size of a Bucky ball and have had 'suspected' it's effects on tiny biological organisms which was the experiment I was referencing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nerd alert! -more spooky Quantum stuff ignoramus 49 3690 November 28, 2020 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  More Quantum entanglement mind fuckery ignoramus 20 2799 December 9, 2018 at 6:15 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Quantum Physics Craziness! LadyForCamus 19 1821 October 12, 2017 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  I have a layman's theory about quantum physics "spookiness" Won2blv 15 2706 March 5, 2017 at 11:15 am
Last Post: Won2blv
  Quantum tunnelling for space travel... Iroscato 8 2950 November 22, 2016 at 12:43 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Question about Quantum Eraser bennyboy 28 4150 September 4, 2016 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Why Does Quantum Physics Make Scientistss Uncomfortable? Rhondazvous 12 2366 August 12, 2016 at 1:30 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  No Big Bang? Quantum equation predicts universe has no beginning TubbyTubby 8 2353 March 3, 2016 at 6:12 pm
  Paul Rudd vs Stephen Hawking - Quantum Chess Heat 1 1214 January 28, 2016 at 4:48 pm
  Quantum Physics: Questions logicalreason 22 6116 August 11, 2014 at 5:38 am
Last Post: Tobie