Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A cup of Morning Joe, and ABBA
A cup of Morning Joe, and ABBA
I wish I had a clip of what I heard today watching MSNBC's Morning Joe, but I don't. 

But the gist of it was Joe Scarborough was describing how he was talking to everyone, from bankers to laypeople about the future of our economy and said, "I don't mean to sound like Cassandra, but".........

I am sure he wasn't referencing ABBA, but ABBA did make a song about the ancient mythology of "Cassandra" whom as the mythology goes, was cursed with the ability of prophecy but nobody would believe her.

Here is the Wiki article of the myth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassandra#...0of%20Troy.

I love the wording of it. It really does not tell the truth of the mythology.

Basically what it should say is that Apollo had the hots for Cassandra, she rejected him, and in return he cursed her.
RE: A cup of Morning Joe, and ABBA
Quote:Basically what it should say is that Apollo had the hots for Cassandra, she rejected him, and in return he cursed her.

That's exactly what it says.

It says it here:

Quote:The older and most common versions state that she was admired by the god Apollo, who sought to win her with the gift to see the future. According to , she promised him her favors, but after receiving the gift, she went back on her word and refused the god. The enraged Apollo could not revoke a divine power, so he added to it the curse that though she would see the future, nobody would believe her prophecies.

And here:

Quote:Cassandra was given the gift of prophecy, but was also cursed by the god Apollo so that her true prophecies would not be believed. Many versions of the myth relate that she incurred the god's wrath by refusing him sex,

And again:

Quote:Cassandra, daughter of the king and queen, in the temple of Apollo, exhausted from practising, is said to have fallen asleep; whom, when Apollo wished to embrace her, she did not afford the opportunity of her body. On account of which thing, when she prophesied true things, she was not believed.

Did you not read the article before you linked to it?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
It was still watered down. "Admired by" but to only "curse" is bullshit.

The original mythology reflected the male dominated society of antiquity.

Basically what Apollo did would be like in real life today, if a guy hit on a female in a bar, and they rejected her, the guy would follow her home and burn down her house.
Not surprisingly, Joe Scarborough is full of himself. From your quote, it seems he fancies himself a great prophet that no one will listen to. 

If only Joe had foreseen what a disaster Trump would be, maybe he wouldn't have given candidate Trump all that free air time during the last election season.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
(September 15, 2020 at 4:07 pm)Brian37 Wrote: It was still watered down. "Admired by" but to only "curse" is bullshit.

Basically what Apollo did would be like in real life today, if a guy hit on a female in a bar, and they rejected her, the guy would follow her home and burn down her  house.

No, it’s not watered down. She promised him sex. He gave her the gift of prophecy. She refused to have sex with him, he cursed her. It was rather stupid if Apollo to ask for a shag in the first place, as Cassandra was an Apollonian priestess and had taken a vow of perpetual chastity.  Not a terribly appetizing story to be sure, but the article you linked accurately portrays the story.

Yes, it reflected male domination. What else would you expect from a male-dominated society?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(September 15, 2020 at 4:16 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote: Not surprisingly, Joe Scarborough is full of himself. From your quote, it seems he fancies himself a great prophet that no one will listen to. 

If only Joe had foreseen what a disaster Trump would be, maybe he wouldn't have given candidate Trump all that free air time during the last election season.

No, don't get me wrong. I fucking hate the word "prophet". 

But Joe is not wrong today, in reality, in that he, like many liberals, and even republican intel are sounding the alarm over the orange fuckface. And he is not wrong about that.

(September 15, 2020 at 4:17 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(September 15, 2020 at 4:07 pm)Brian37 Wrote: It was still watered down. "Admired by" but to only "curse" is bullshit.

Basically what Apollo did would be like in real life today, if a guy hit on a female in a bar, and they rejected her, the guy would follow her home and burn down her  house.

No, it’s not watered down. She promised him sex. He gave her the gift of prophecy. She refused to have sex with him, he cursed her. It was rather stupid if Apollo to ask for a shag in the first place, as Cassandra was an Apollonian priestess and had taken a vow of perpetual chastity.  Not a terribly appetizing story to be sure, but the article you linked accurately portrays the story.

Yes, it reflected male domination. What else would you expect from a male-dominated society?

Boru

She DID NOT promise him sex. She feared him.

And so what if she did? At any point in reality, when a woman says no, at that point, it does not matter.

His retribution is fucking bullshit.

Even in mere friendship outside of sex, have you never been told by another that you'd meet them somewhere or do something only for them to not show up? 

Apollo is the asshole no matter what. 

"I promise to have sex with you" still would not equate to retribution if you change your mind.

Otherwise the old mentality of spousal rape would be legal today.
(September 15, 2020 at 4:34 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(September 15, 2020 at 4:16 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote: Not surprisingly, Joe Scarborough is full of himself. From your quote, it seems he fancies himself a great prophet that no one will listen to. 

No, don't get me wrong. I fucking hate the word "prophet". 

But Joe is not wrong today, in reality, in that he, like many liberals, and even republican intel are sounding the alarm over the orange fuckface. And he is not wrong about that.

(September 15, 2020 at 4:17 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: No, it’s not watered down. She promised him sex. He gave her the gift of prophecy. She refused to have sex with him, he cursed her. It was rather stupid if Apollo to ask for a shag in the first place, as Cassandra was an Apollonian priestess and had taken a vow of perpetual chastity.  Not a terribly appetizing story to be sure, but the article you linked accurately portrays the story.

Boru

And so what if she did? At any point in reality, when a woman says no, at that point, it does not matter.

Even in mere friendship outside of sex, have you never been told by another that you'd meet them somewhere or do something only for them to not show up? 

"I promise to have sex with you" still would not equate to retribution if you change your mind.

You’ve clearly not read either the article to which you linked or my quotes from it. No matter, I’m not debating the merits of the story or your application of modern sexual mores to a story that’s at least 3000 years old and never happened in the first place.

But the fact is that the Wikipedia article accurately describes the story, your opinion of the story notwithstanding.

ABBA sucks big green donkey dicks.

Boru
(September 15, 2020 at 4:34 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Apollo is the asshole no matter what. 

If you're looking for stories about well-behaved gods that don't have any sense of entitlement to women's bodies and don't act like abusive jerks or rapists, I suggest you completely stay away from Greek mythology.

EDIT TO ADD: I don't know if humans HAVE ever created well-behaved gods or gods that are any better behaved than a spoiled two-year-old. 

I don't ever remember the Christian god asking Mary for her consent.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
(September 15, 2020 at 5:06 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote:
(September 15, 2020 at 4:34 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Apollo is the asshole no matter what. 

If you're looking for stories about well-behaved gods that don't have any sense of entitlement to women's bodies and don't act like abusive jerks or rapists, I suggest you completely stay away from Greek mythology.

EDIT TO ADD: I don't know if humans HAVE ever created well-behaved gods or gods that are any better behaved than a spoiled two-year-old. 

You said it!

(September 15, 2020 at 4:51 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(September 15, 2020 at 4:34 pm)Brian37 Wrote: No, don't get me wrong. I fucking hate the word "prophet". 

You’ve clearly not read either the article to which you linked or my quotes from it. No matter, I’m not debating the merits of the story or your application of modern sexual mores to a story that’s at least 3000 years old and never happened in the first place.

But the fact is that the Wikipedia article accurately describes the story, your opinion of the story notwithstanding.

ABBA sucks big green donkey dicks.

Boru

You don't like ABBA, got it....

Pretty sure they are not losing any sleep over your opinion.
(September 15, 2020 at 5:06 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote:

I think Krishna is pretty chill

Azathoth is pretty unassuming as well as long as you stay away from it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Compare Joe Biden In 2012 To Him Today: Signs of Dementia Are Clear ReptilianPeon 11 1954 April 12, 2020 at 6:00 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Sounds Like Joe Biden "grabs 'em by the *****" as well... ReptilianPeon 16 1371 March 31, 2020 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Who Still Thinks Joe Biden Will Be The Nomine? ReptilianPeon 90 6561 March 11, 2020 at 10:41 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Enlightening Video Show The Mental Decline of Joe Biden ReptilianPeon 13 1144 March 5, 2020 at 6:36 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  'Big Joe' Humbles a group of liberals ErGingerbreadMandude 26 5818 January 25, 2017 at 10:16 pm
Last Post: DarkerEnergy
  Dumbass Joe A Theist 15 2479 August 18, 2016 at 2:29 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  Representative Joe Wilson binny 13 4909 September 14, 2009 at 12:12 pm
Last Post: Minimalist