Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 8:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hagar, I had no clue!
Hagar, I had no clue!
Apparently Hagar did this before Rick Springfield.

Here is the Rick Springfield cover.

Here is my favorite Rick Springfield song. not because of the lyrics, but because of the music.

RE: Hagar, I had no clue!
Signs a song might be written by Sammy Hagar:

All power chords.  Throwing in the 3rd is Sammy's idea of getting technical.  Minor chords are for guys that don't get laid.

During the verse, stick to one chord and hammer out the root because it's hard to sing and play at the same time.  If you have to change chords, sing between the changes.

Sing about girls, parties, and cars.

See Baby's on Fire, I'll Fall in Love Again, There's Only One Way to Rock, Bad Motor Scooter, etc.
(September 17, 2020 at 1:02 pm)Ranjr Wrote: Signs a song might be written by Sammy Hagar:

All power chords.  Throwing in the 3rd is Sammy's idea of getting technical.  Minor chords are for guys that don't get laid.

During the verse, stick to one chord and hammer out the root because it's hard to sing and play at the same time.  If you have to change chords, sing between the changes.

Sing about girls, parties, and cars.

See Baby's on Fire, I'll Fall in Love Again, There's Only One Way to Rock, Bad Motor Scooter, etc.

I get the argument between deep and fun, but there still is something to be said for fun.

I think Metallica is far deeper depending, and and I have also found Ice T profound.  But I am also an ABBA and Beach Boys fan.
(September 17, 2020 at 1:08 pm)Brian37 Wrote: I get the argument between deep and fun, but there still is something to be said for fun.

I think Metallica is far deeper depending, and and I have also found Ice T profound.  But I am also an ABBA and Beach Boys fan.

Agreed.  The Red Rocker didn't do "contemplative," though some of his Van Halen songs have more substance.  

My first experience with Springfield was a compilation album from K-tel called Believe in Music that someone gave me when I was 10.  It had Brandy, Long Cool Woman, Maggie Mae, Hold Your Head Up along with bubble gum, heart throb stuff, including this abomination:

Quote:During the verse, stick to one chord and hammer out the root because it's hard to sing and play at the same time.  If you have to change chords, sing between the changes.

The late, great BB King was once asked why he always stopped playing while singing.  He answer: 'I got stupid fingers, baby.  Stupid, stupid fingers.'

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(September 17, 2020 at 2:41 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
Quote:During the verse, stick to one chord and hammer out the root because it's hard to sing and play at the same time.  If you have to change chords, sing between the changes.

The late, great BB King was once asked why he always stopped playing while singing.  He answer: 'I got stupid fingers, baby.  Stupid, stupid fingers.'

Boru

I don't care what differences we have, but I cannot argue with BB King, not in the slightest, not one lick.
(September 17, 2020 at 2:41 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:

Boru

It makes me appreciate people like James Taylor and Elton John all the more.  My hands have to be going on all muscle memory so that I can focus on vocal pitch and breath.  Not that I'm a good singer.  Those two and many others can let it fly as if their hands are an extension of their voice.
(September 17, 2020 at 3:19 pm)Ranjr Wrote:
(September 17, 2020 at 2:41 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: The late, great BB King was once asked why he always stopped playing while singing.  He answer: 'I got stupid fingers, baby.  Stupid, stupid fingers.'

Boru

It makes me appreciate people like James Taylor and Elton John all the more.  My hands have to be going on all muscle memory so that I can focus on vocal pitch and breath.  Not that I'm a good singer.  Those two and many others can let it fly as if their hands are an extension of their voice.

I never got into either James Taylor or Elton John. 

But that is music. I can't slam their fans.
(September 17, 2020 at 3:19 pm)Ranjr Wrote:
(September 17, 2020 at 2:41 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: The late, great BB King was once asked why he always stopped playing while singing.  He answer: 'I got stupid fingers, baby.  Stupid, stupid fingers.'

Boru

Playing while singing was never an issue for me (except for tin whistle), possibly because of how long I’ve been doing it. But yes, it’s largely muscle memory.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(September 17, 2020 at 3:57 pm)Brian37 Wrote: I never got into either James Taylor or Elton John. 

But that is music. I can't slam their fans.

I can imagine people not being into singer/songwriter types like JT, the guy who set the bar.  Although, his Carol King covers and Your Smiling Face are fantastic.

I can't imagine not loving a master composer and performer like Elton.  I almost never trouble with an arena to see a relic.  For Elton, we bought tickets the day they went on sale, then hoped he lived the year leading up to the show.  It was more than worth it, especially since it's the last show we'll see for a long time.

Since you like covers, here's one of the best progressive rock bands of the last 30 years paying homage to Elton's composition.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Had enough of ABBA? Fine, here's Blondie! Brian37 31 2757 July 9, 2019 at 10:00 am
Last Post: tackattack
  Have you ever had, and a poem about it. Brian37 0 560 June 6, 2018 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  I have had it with these muthafukin' tribbles on this muthafuckin' starship! BrianSoddingBoru4 12 1794 December 5, 2017 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: vorlon13