Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where are you on the Nolan political spectrum?
Where are you on the Nolan political spectrum?
[Image: nolanchart_withindices.jpg]

According to this chart, two numbers better describe your political leanings, rather than being left-right or liberal-conservative.

I am Personal Freedom: 80, Economic Freedom 50.

But I'd also like people to comment on how incomplete a chart like this is.  For me, I feel that I have a set of values that lean towards individual freedoms.  How I interpret those values might be conservative on one issue, and liberal on the next.  Basically, I want movement forward on some issues, but if you want to change my conservative mind on a subject, you better bring evidence.  Your imagined utopia just might turn out to be a hell.

Liberal and conservative are a component of our nature.  A rational person should realize both aspects of their personality, and make choices on a per-issue basis, and be willing to change their minds over time if evidence leans that way.

I can respect people who place themselves in 4 of these 5 sections on the chart, but I cannot for the life of me understand someone who would place themselves in the authoritarian category.

What are your numbers, or do you call bullshit on the whole thing?
RE: Where are you on the Nolan political spectrum?
Liberal and conservative aren't part of our nature or any nature. They're a hasty imposition of ambiguous political claims and shifting mores.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I'm the pitcher. 

This is a baseball thing right? Nolan Ryan?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Thank goodness there's finally something to tell me what I believe.  I never could have decided something like this without a chart constructed by someone who's never met me, talked to me, asked me what I think.

At long last, I can now pigeonhole myself with one of these handy-dandy labels. So much simpler than, you know, thinking about things.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(October 2, 2020 at 5:54 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: At long last, I can now pigeonhole myself with one of these handy-dandy labels. So much simpler than, you know, thinking about things.

Boru

But, is pigeonholing you in two dimensions better than one?  I think it is slightly clearer.  Just not good enough.  I never fit on a left-right line.

BTW, the Nolan Chart is pretty standard in political science, and many modified versions of it have been created (though I like the original). This isn't some random thing I found on the internet.

Fascist slides toward 0,0 from the right side, and communist slides toward 0,0 from the left side.  They still get to roughly the same place, IMO
(October 2, 2020 at 6:10 pm)HappySkeptic Wrote:
(October 2, 2020 at 5:54 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: At long last, I can now pigeonhole myself with one of these handy-dandy labels. So much simpler than, you know, thinking about things.

Boru

But, is pigeonholing you in two dimensions better than one?  I think it is slightly clearer.  Just not good enough.  I never fit on a left-right line.

BTW, fascist slides toward 0,0 from the right side, and communist slides toward 0,0 from the left side.  They still get to roughly the same place, IMO

You misunderstand me.  I reject the idea of pigeonholing, full stop. The notion that a chart can accurately label the political and economic positions of anyone is fallacious on the face of it.  If it makes you feel better to have someone who knows literally nothing about you to reduce the complexities of how you feel about politics, economics, and society to something that would fit on a Post-It note, help yourself.

I flatter myself than I'm a little less qualifiable than that.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I'm Nolan Richardson.

[Image: Bgj4djUCEAAl4vz.jpg]
(October 2, 2020 at 6:18 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: You misunderstand me.  I reject the idea of pigeonholing, full stop. The notion that a chart can accurately label the political and economic positions of anyone is fallacious on the face of it.  If it makes you feel better to have someone who knows literally nothing about you to reduce the complexities of how you feel about politics, economics, and society to something that would fit on a Post-It note, help yourself.

I flatter myself than I'm a little less qualifiable than that.

Boru

There are two aspects to the chart.  One is the 5 names.  The other is the 2 axes.

I think the two axes do represent something meaningful, though the names may not.

The personal freedom axis represents a value.  I personally see the value in maximizing individual freedom, and not as much in maximizing order and fostering sheep.

The economic freedom axis describes how you think about whether the best societal good is gained from letting each individual make their own business choices (and sink or swim), or whether government needs to intervene with regulation, rules, or even wealth redistribution.  My personal opinion is that while economic freedom is an aspect of freedom in general (and therefore a good thing), there is nothing free about letting monopolies, cartels, mafia, or 0.1%s win everything.

But I don't like being labelled with a name either (which may be why I chose a corner point between 3 names).

Tough crowd for my first OP -- but that's a good thing Smile

(October 2, 2020 at 5:33 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Liberal and conservative aren't part of our nature or any nature.  They're a hasty imposition of ambiguous political claims and shifting mores.

I think they are both.

In my OP was trying to distinguish the political terms of conservative or liberal (perhaps I should've said progressive) from the literal meanings.

Conservative literally means resistant to change.  That is part of our nature, and NOT a political affiliation.  People get more conservative as they get older.  Young people have less roots in the way things used to be, and are more willing to find their own path.  Political parties know this and try to exploit it (and brand it).

But, on any particular issue, I was trying to say that I may be conservative -- i.e. resistant to change.  You believe in giving a guaranteed income to everyone?  Prove that isn't going to bankrupt the nation.  You want to change the government representation to be equal to proportional vote?  Prove to me that won't lead to wackadoodle parties getting the balance of power.

I am getting older, and I'm less likely to buy into someone's utopian bullshit (even if I'm wrong).  I like the devil I know, even with its flaws.  That is part of our nature, and it should be part of our nature.  That's being conservative. 

I also have my own progressive utopian ideas that I hope other people will treat with the same degree of skepticism.  This is how good change happens, with skeptical thought and tension between our conservative and progressive nature, hopefully moving in the right (or is that left?) direction.
Just took one on Polquiz: 70 social, 20 economic. Frankly, the Political Compass allows for more precision, even if some of its results might be questionable.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
I did the quiz.

It says I'm an asshole.

Yeah?

So?

Got anything new, ya prick?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Those Political Memes Foxaèr 827 60911 April 21, 2024 at 10:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  The Political Zoo Foxaèr 7 854 December 10, 2023 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  When is political violence justified? FrustratedFool 54 2995 September 8, 2023 at 7:38 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Are you looking forward to Political Christmas in 2024 on 24th/25th December? Woah0 9 867 December 3, 2022 at 7:49 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Does Social Issues matter when deciding your political affiliation? T.J. 48 3054 April 21, 2022 at 9:36 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Are you Anti-Political? Disagreeable 52 2381 April 7, 2022 at 1:12 am
Last Post: Oracle
  political strategy Hillbillyatheist 23 1992 January 12, 2022 at 10:44 am
Last Post: Spongebob
  That Political Scene Foxaèr 4 678 September 27, 2021 at 6:33 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Should I stay or should I go? POLITICAL op/ed Brian37 53 6918 August 26, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Conservatives, COVID, Agency and Autism, some insights into political worldviews Rev. Rye 5 570 January 10, 2021 at 1:31 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye