Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pompeii, don't hail a cab, run with the van.
Pompeii, don't hail a cab, run with the van.
Running with the 80s...... I live the 80s life, it' so simple. 

RE: Pompeii, don't hail a cab, run with the van.
Eddie Van Halen died today. I am surprised you didn't make this a new RIP thread.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(October 6, 2020 at 4:18 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: Eddie Van Halen died today.  I am surprised you didn't make this a new RIP thread.

HOLY SHIT, I SERIOUSLY DID NOT KNOW....... I AM NOT KIDDING.

I was merely posting another thread about music I like. I am dead serious.

THAT SUCKS! Fuck my timing.

I have been paying attention to the orange turd all day, and wanted to post something to take my mind off him. 

Van Halen was one of the first albums I ordered through the mail as a kid. DAMN. 

2020 FUCKING SUCKS!
Eruption and Runnin' With the Devil were released in 1978.

From 2nd album released in 1979:

(October 6, 2020 at 4:27 pm)Ranjr Wrote: Eruption and Runnin' With the Devil were released in 1978.

I bought the album in the 80s, and for their time, they gave birth to the 80s sound. Van Halen gave birth to the 80s arena hair bands.

But in all seriousness, I am gobsmacked. I literally was posting another thread of songs I like. The news today I was watching hadn't mentioned his death.
(October 6, 2020 at 4:33 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(October 6, 2020 at 4:27 pm)Ranjr Wrote: Eruption and Runnin' With the Devil were released in 1978.

I bought the album in the 80s, and for their time, they gave birth to the 80s sound. Van Halen gave birth to the 80s arena hair bands.

But in all seriousness, I am gobsmacked. I literally was posting another thread of songs I like. The news today I was watching hadn't mentioned his death.

So, because you bought their album in the 80s, it qualifies as 80s music?

Motley Crue and Twisted Sister had far more influence on the 80s sound than Van Halen.

Arena rock is generally consider to have started with The Beatles.

At least you posted some decent music for once. Are you feeling alright, Brian?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(October 6, 2020 at 4:47 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(October 6, 2020 at 4:33 pm)Brian37 Wrote: I bought the album in the 80s, and for their time, they gave birth to the 80s sound. Van Halen gave birth to the 80s arena hair bands.

So, because you bought their album in the 80s, it qualifies as 80s music?

Motley Crue and Twisted Sister had far more influence on the 80s sound than Van Halen.

Boru

Come on man. Everyone knows that generational music leads to new sounds, and there is overlap.

Van Halen did not sound like the rock of the 70s, it was different, and it lead to the sounds of the 80s. You can't place a time stamp on change in music, of any kind. It always mixes and changes. 

Even Blondie had a disco sound but also had a punk beat, and certainly could not be confused with ABBA who dominated the 70s.

No, rock did not start with the Beatles. It always depends who you ask. Many people would say that rock started with Elvis. I don't agree. But if you go to the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, they include R&B, BLUES, RAP, POP STARS, not just the Beatles.
(October 6, 2020 at 4:51 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(October 6, 2020 at 4:47 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: So, because you bought their album in the 80s, it qualifies as 80s music?

Boru

Come on man. Everyone knows that generational music leads to new sounds, and there is overlap.

Van Halen did not sound like the rock of the 70s, it was different, and it lead to the sounds of the 80s. You can't place a time stamp on change in music, of any kind. It always mixes and changes. 

Even Blondie had a disco sound but also had a punk beat, and certainly could not be confused with ABBA who dominated the 70s.

No, rock did not start with the Beatles. It always depends who you ask. Many people would say that rock started with Elvis. I don't agree. But if you go to the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, they include R&B, BLUES, RAP, POP STARS, not just the Beatles.

I was objecting to your silly-arsed claim that Van Halen ‘gave birth’ to the ‘80s sound’, hair bands and arena rock. None of that is true.

And I didn’t claim that rock started with The Beatles. I said arena rock is generally considered to have started with The Beatles. Your reading comprehension is as piss poor as it ever was. But go ahead - blame it on your ADD.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(October 6, 2020 at 4:51 pm)Brian37 Wrote: But if you go to the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, they include R&B, BLUES, RAP, POP STARS, not just the Beatles.
If they put CRAP in with rock and roll I'm glad I never went there.
(October 6, 2020 at 4:33 pm)Brian37 Wrote: I bought the album in the 80s, and for their time, they gave birth to the 80s sound. Van Halen gave birth to the 80s arena hair bands.

Eddie smoked and drank so much he was on borrowed time.  Nevertheless, it hasn't hit me yet.  I'll be sad at some point.  I loved those first four albums.

I credit Randy Rhodes (still sad about that one) as a greater influence on 80s guitar.  Go back and listen to the Sweet for an earlier prototype of hair metal.  Heck, Bowie wrote the spec and created the look in '72.  (See Ziggy)