Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 11:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"This worm is your mother"
"This worm is your mother"
I watched the movie "7 years in Tibet" long time ago, but still sometimes I remember the scene about the worms and I never discussed that scene with anyone so maybe now is the right crowd.

In the scene, Buddhists are digging the hole in the ground, but then they stop because they run into the worms, and they can't continue because, since they believe in reincarnation, they are afraid they will harm the worms who may have been their mother or some other relative in its past life.

But if you believed in reincarnation wouldn't you want to do the opposite with worms and small crawlers? If you saw an ant or a larva of a fly for which you knew was your dead mother reincarnated, wouldn't you want to kill it quickly so it can reincarnate into something better, maybe even into a human?

Anyway, here's the scene

teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: "This worm is your mother"
(October 9, 2020 at 5:13 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote: I watched the movie "7 years in Tibet" long time ago, but still sometimes I remember the scene about the worms and I never discussed that scene with anyone so maybe now is the right crowd.

In the scene, Buddhists are digging the hole in the ground, but then they stop because they run into the worms, and they can't continue because, since they believe in reincarnation, they are afraid they will harm the worms who may have been their mother or some other relative in its past life.

But if you believed in reincarnation wouldn't you want to do the opposite with worms and small crawlers? If you saw an ant or a larva of a fly for which you knew was your dead mother reincarnated, wouldn't you want to kill it quickly so it can reincarnate into something better, maybe even into a human?

Anyway, here's the scene

Chuck Norris kept killing everything/everyone until he became Chuck Norris...

Now it's all special effects....
What if they all secretly hated their mothers?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
If only I could find a clip of the scene from Xavier: Renegade Angel where Xavier tries to give set the broken leg of a mosquito and gives this exact justification:

-What the human intimates you doing, freak? Bestial-ulating that skeeter?
-I'm just a simple warrior for peace trying to do right by God's creatures.
-You see what this weirdo here is saying?
-Wait, which weirdo?
-I believe that we are all one. By helping this tiny mosquito, in a way, I'm helping your mother.
-He's comparing the universal oneness of all life to your mama! Take that!

The episode is "Chief Beef Loco" and you can probably find it on other, non-Youtube video sites (and yes, they do still exist).
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Good point.
In a word, no.

In the context of those beliefs there's no "better" form of life, and no essential you. A life as a worm and a life as a human being are only vehicles, all of them necessary and deserving of similar consideration. It isn't really for your worm mom, either, but for your own conscience. Getting stuck on ideas like these is what gets us stuck in the worms and the hoomans in the first place. Incurring a debt or attachments pursuant to worry about what you may have done to your reincarnated mother, lol.

It's useful to point out that this cute little story about respect for worm life doesn't match with the reality of tibetan buddhism - where serfs were mutilated in a theocratic caste system as an identifier, or because they broke some ceremonial prohibition, or for fun.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Great Mother dtango 4 2998 January 10, 2012 at 2:15 am
Last Post: dtango