Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 3:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists wildly progressive on a variety of issues
Atheists wildly progressive on a variety of issues
According to a survey

Quote:Earlier this year, American Atheists released the results of a survey they conducted of non-religious Americans. Even with all the caveats — it was a self-selected survey, likely drawing in the sort of people who have strong opinions on religion-related issues — the results were still useful in informing us of what Secular Americans believe about a variety of issues.

Now the Freedom From Religion Foundation has followed suit with a survey of their own membership. Again, this is not a representative sample of all atheists. It’s a survey of the sort of people who would join FFRF.

But what’s really interesting in their survey is that just about everyone who submitted responses indicated they were planning on voting… which basically made this a sampling of registered atheist voters. That in itself isn’t surprising given that FFRF is an advocacy organization, just like it isn’t surprising that only 1.4% of members said they identified as Republican.

Here’s what shocked me, though: Not only were these 12,000 atheists who responded more progressive than run-of-the-mill liberals; they were off-the-charts more progressive.

[Image: Hot-Button_issues-text.jpg]

It’s like this across the board. The same discrepancy was seen with support for universal health care, a guaranteed minimum income, free/reduced public school tuition, DC statehood, and gun safety. Which is to say FFRF atheists are extremely progressive, even on issues that don’t directly concern FFRF.

Why is any of this important?

Consider this: FFRF’s members, who presumably have little in common except a disbelief in God, turn out to hold very similar beliefs on a host of other political issues. Those are issues that align very strongly with progressive Democratic politicians. We’re “values voters” with actual values, not right-wing MAGA cultists who’ll do whatever Donald Trump wants no matter how cruel it is.

Now imagine what you would find if you surveyed non-religious Americans who weren’t FFRF members. Those percentages might go down… but I can’t imagine it’d be by that much.

So if Democrats are looking for voters who are compassionate, caring, and active, they should be reaching out to atheists specifically. They sure as hell shouldn’t be avoiding us.

“Overall, nonbelievers are obviously caring, compassionate, involved and engaged individuals,” notes Dan Barker, FFRF co-president, “who clearly recognize that this world is what matters. Not believing in a god doesn’t mean you don’t believe in values. We are the real values voters.”

FFRF is a non-profit group. They’re not here to endorse a political party. But the survey finds that atheists are a natural constituency for progressive Democrats eager to find volunteers, donors, and people willing to spread their message.

When will the politicians start realizing that?
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Atheists wildly progressive on a variety of issues
(October 10, 2020 at 9:21 am)Eleven Wrote: Again, this is not a representative sample of all atheists. It’s a survey of the sort of people who would join FFRF.

The bolded part is an important point to keep in mind. I'd be willing to bet the real numbers for atheists are a lot closer to the all Americas figures than they are to the FFRF secular voter numbers.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
Why you gotta be a bummer?
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
It’s a pity they didn’t ask really important questions, such as, ‘If you had the authority to ban ABBA from the airwaves, would you A) ban ABBA from the airwaves, or B) ban ABBA from the airwaves?’

Biru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Pappy has a great point.

I do think that atheists are a more progressive in certain areas because they aren't taking the lead from some holy book.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=14775459]
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does Social Issues matter when deciding your political affiliation? T.J. 48 3036 April 21, 2022 at 9:36 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Voting Machine Issues In Kansas ReptilianPeon 3 844 August 8, 2018 at 4:58 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  My idea for a progressive 3rd party Won2blv 16 4357 February 24, 2017 at 8:54 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  What Do You Call a Fiscal Progressive and a Social Conservative? InquiringMind 44 8489 February 16, 2017 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Steve Harvey Meets with Trump to Discuss Housing and Inner-city Issues Rhondazvous 60 8300 January 16, 2017 at 11:27 pm
Last Post: Cato
  How to deal with discussing hot button issues with a family member GoHalos1993 11 1628 June 13, 2016 at 1:04 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Libertarian is not left on social issues CapnAwesome 18 3738 July 3, 2015 at 6:32 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Party of Wedge Issues Whines About Division DeistPaladin 16 2676 May 8, 2015 at 10:58 am
Last Post: DeistPaladin
  Can a citizen of a progressive democracy do business with a dictatorship? Something completely different 8 3500 October 24, 2013 at 10:19 am
Last Post: Zazzy
  Egypt issues arrest warrants for film makers of anti-Islam video A Theist 23 7786 October 29, 2012 at 10:25 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger