Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 7:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to deal with discussing hot button issues with a family member
How to deal with discussing hot button issues with a family member
My sister and I tend to be fairly Libertarian. Less government and more personal freedom. So we tend to see eye to eye on majority of social issues but a couple of big differences is that i'm agnostic and she's Christian. We also don't agree on gun control. She's against it and I'm for it. She basically has the same talking points the NRA has. Anyways, today because of that shooting a little discussion between us came up about it. And my sister she's a little less informed than me, but she's fairly informed. I'm just wondering; how would I go about debating a family member on this subject?
RE: How to deal with discussing hot button issues with a family member
I'm pro gun control it doesn't mean taking away guns or banning high capacity magazines. I am for making it tougher
to get and own a gun is all. Because it is way to easy to get a gun in this country.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
Do you mean debate? To change her mind, to win?

How about just discuss, have a conversation, and let each make/keep/change their own position as they see fit.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(June 12, 2016 at 9:09 pm)GoHalos1993 Wrote: My sister and I tend to be fairly Libertarian. Less government and more personal freedom. So we tend to see eye to eye on majority of social issues but a couple of big differences is that i'm agnostic and she's Christian. We also don't agree on gun control. She's against it and I'm for it. She basically has the same talking points the NRA has. Anyways, today because of that shooting a little discussion between us came up about it. And my sister she's a little less informed than me, but she's fairly informed. I'm just wondering; how would I go about debating a family member on this subject?
Treat them like they are posters on the forum.  Insult their intelligent, call the idiots and assholes, and make fun of them.
I just don't discuss this stuff with family. I usually smile and nod.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(June 12, 2016 at 9:09 pm)GoHalos1993 Wrote: My sister and I tend to be fairly Libertarian. Less government and more personal freedom. So we tend to see eye to eye on majority of social issues but a couple of big differences is that i'm agnostic and she's Christian. We also don't agree on gun control. She's against it and I'm for it. She basically has the same talking points the NRA has. Anyways, today because of that shooting a little discussion between us came up about it. And my sister she's a little less informed than me, but she's fairly informed. I'm just wondering; how would I go about debating a family member on this subject?

Ask her who jesus would shoot?
(June 12, 2016 at 10:56 pm)Losty Wrote: I just don't discuss this stuff with family. I usually smile and nod.

[Image: image_zpse0l3lcmk.gif]

Yeaaaaaaah. Best choice. My family is full of debate lovers. They love debates. 
I bite my nails in the corner and fit in a joke when I can. Kind of like I do here. Lol! 
When I do join in, I usually regret it. I like liking them. I don't want to discover reasons not to.
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian

I don't debate family members on hot button topics. It's pointless. Most people already have their minds made up on hot topics like religion or politics. And those who don't have their minds made up will decide what side they're on when they're ready. When the student is ready, the teacher will come.
I'd say you have to consider if it will be productive. You know her best, so it's hard for me to say.

By productive, I mean she'll listen to you and think, rather than dismissing you out of hand. I'm not saying it means necessarily changing her mind about anything.

If you think it's worthwhile, I'd say make sure you focus entirely on the issues, and not on her. Keep it as factual and logical as possible, and avoid simple emotional appeals.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I'm doubtful Christ would appreciate a Libertarian outlook. That might be a useful point to make.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does Social Issues matter when deciding your political affiliation? T.J. 48 3051 April 21, 2022 at 9:36 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The prospect of starting a family in today's economic system Macoleco 23 2329 October 3, 2021 at 1:09 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Atheists wildly progressive on a variety of issues Foxaèr 5 354 October 10, 2020 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: brewer
  The Family Secular Elf 4 501 August 15, 2019 at 10:00 am
Last Post: brewer
  Green New Deal Yonadav 0 212 February 15, 2019 at 12:37 pm
Last Post: Yonadav
  Voting Machine Issues In Kansas ReptilianPeon 3 850 August 8, 2018 at 4:58 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  IS There Anyone Who Thinks The WLB Has The Smarts To Deal With This Looming Crisis? Minimalist 2 441 December 24, 2017 at 11:05 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  The Nazis Want To Permanently Queer The Deal Minimalist 2 598 July 24, 2017 at 4:04 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  So the Trump family is allowed to joke about hurting journalists NuclearEnergy 1 737 July 8, 2017 at 8:53 pm
Last Post: Fireball
Tongue Finally a world leader to get Vorlon all hot and bothered over GUBU 2 1429 June 3, 2017 at 3:12 pm
Last Post: GUBU