Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 10:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Great Conjunction.
The Great Conjunction.
Don't miss it:

APOD -- The Great Conjunction (10/20/2020)
RE: The Great Conjunction.
I guess I missed it?
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(October 20, 2020 at 8:34 am)Eleven Wrote: I guess I missed it?

December 21.  Jupiter and Saturn get closer until then, viewable early evening.

You only get Jupiter-Saturn conjunctions every 20 years, and this is the closest since a long time.  Only 6.5 arc minutes.  They will both fit in a telescope view.

I am getting a new telescope soon, which should be perfect for this event.
I've seen enough movies to know this is either a really bad thing or mystical forces will be at play...
Dying to live, living to die.
So we can heal the crystal now? I'll let Jen know.
The greatest conjunction is ‘but’.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

I was going to ask what's it's function, however, awty beat me to it.
(October 20, 2020 at 1:55 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: I've seen enough movies to know this is either a really bad thing or mystical forces will be at play...

Yet, but the only scientists who can fix it are being held captives by a band of swarthy individuals who are definitely NOT PLO. Because, you know, FATWA LIVES MATTER.
Why is this conjunction great?   Saturn Jupiter conjunction happens approximately every 14 years.   Some might be closer.  Some farther.    but just because it is closer hardly warrant the hyperbole of “great”.

If you can get 3-4 planet to all be in conjunction then that would be something and might warrant “great”.  If Jupiter or one of the moons of Jupiter actually eclipse Saturn, that would be great. 

But a bit closer than usual, mahhhh.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Great blog post on the history of global warming science. Jehanne 0 593 December 17, 2016 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Ain't Science Great...as Opposed to Superstition? Minimalist 0 706 January 8, 2016 at 11:27 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Great Andromeda Galaxy And Friends orogenicman 7 2332 December 7, 2012 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: orogenicman
  Recommended physics reading, for Gringo the [not feeling so] great Gambit 22 6690 May 1, 2012 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: jackman
  Messier 13, the Great Globular Cluster in Hercules orogenicman 0 1429 April 15, 2012 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: orogenicman
  The Great Flood Darwinian 81 39925 November 22, 2008 at 1:20 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet