Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 9:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommended physics reading, for Gringo the [not feeling so] great
Recommended physics reading, for Gringo the [not feeling so] great
OK, so I came here thinking this was going to be just like any other atheist forum. Napoleon tried to clue me into the fact that it wasn't, but I'm an arrogant SOB so I basically dismissed his claim.

Anywho, here's the thing. I've noticed there are a lot of people here who are either physicists or know a great deal about the field. I, on the other hand, read some of these threads and feel like I've got an IQ of about -12.

So, what I'd like from you lovely people is to point me in the direction of some essential reading on physics. Now, I feel I need to point a few things out first. Whilst I am far from stupid, due to a childhood illness I have absolutely zero academic education. Virtually everything I know, I taught myself. So, with that in mind, I will be needing to start with baby steps. We're talking lying on my belly until I work out how to crawl.

If it helps to ease your mind that you won't be wasting your time; in every I do, within months of 'getting it' I excel beyond anyone in that area.

Thank you in advance.
RE: Recommended reading, for Gringo the [not feeling so] great
C'mon guys where's all the physicists at?
They are in hiding. Big Grin I don't have anything to suggest for you, Grings. However, I do hope you start feeling better. We should try to G+ chat sometime soon.
Oh, I'm just feeling humbled by the amount of shit I seriously didn't know, Shelly. I think I have a G+ account somewhere, I'll have to try to dig it out. Big Grin

Edit: I found it and you're already in my circle.
Haha, yeah, remember we were trying to get a hangout together with Mo awhile back? I wound up chatting with Brad and Puck for half the night. Brad was smoking a cigar. Surprise, surprise.

Even physicists have shit they don't know, Grings.
Well, perhaps Stephen Hawking's "Brief History of Time" may be a good place to start.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
I remember now; he didn't show up. I know they don't know everything, but there is stuff I need to have a better (any) understanding of before I take part in those kinds of debates. I'm funny that way. :p
Well, we do have other debates. Big Grin

Yeah, he didn't show up. He was in the hospital, I believe.
Try putting the word physics in the thread title. Get their attention.
I tried, Paul, but there is a time limit for changing the title. Sad Thanks for the suggestion, anyway. I see that you have other debates, Shelly, but I'm particularly interested in the origins of the universe and how shit works, at the minute. Seriously, I have no idea about this kind of stuff, so I feel like a real hypocrite when I debate people on religion and then tell them how ignorant they are.

Edit: The day after we scheduled that G+ chat with Mo, I actually managed to get through to him on the phone, Shelly.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Great Conjunction. Jehanne 13 841 October 22, 2020 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Physics Puzzle onlinebiker 32 2023 July 21, 2020 at 4:07 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Physics questions ignoramus 21 1877 May 9, 2019 at 6:27 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Quantum Physics Craziness! LadyForCamus 19 1825 October 12, 2017 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  The Physics of Guinness thesummerqueen 23 7493 September 2, 2017 at 8:25 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Does Physics now have a complete description of Nature? Jehanne 32 4388 April 10, 2017 at 11:14 am
Last Post: dyresand
  I have a layman's theory about quantum physics "spookiness" Won2blv 15 2708 March 5, 2017 at 11:15 am
Last Post: Won2blv
  SMASH Theory Claims to Solve 5 Major Questions of Physics AFTT47 0 1233 February 20, 2017 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  Great blog post on the history of global warming science. Jehanne 0 598 December 17, 2016 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Physics Nobel 2016 Alex K 8 1907 October 4, 2016 at 11:33 am
Last Post: Jackalope