Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game shows and BS superstition.
Game shows and BS superstition.
Ok so I am channel surfing, and stop briefly on a new version, rehashed version of the 1970s game show "Card Sharks". 

So during the game one lady contestant kept claiming by implication she had clairvoyance. So much so even the host asked if she was. 

Ok so she goes to the bonus round after beating her rival. The host asks her how much she thinks she is going to win, and she says, "360,000, I had a premonition." And it was one of those things you could tell she wasn't joking about any of her comments about her "powers". Anyway, she gets almost to the end to the last card she has to guess, and her "bank" is only $200,000, not the 360k she predicted. If she had bet all of it she would have gone home with 400k, also not the exact number she "predicted". BUT she bet 160k, AND LOST, leaving leaving her with 40k, also not the 360k she "predicted".

I really hate shit like this. Ok, yea she went out winning something, but that is not the point. She simply got lucky up until the end, she did NOT hit the exact mark she claimed she would. 

This isn't nearly as bad as "psychics" like Sylvia Brown who made a living conning people into giving her money getting them to buy her bullshit books. If I remember correctly Brown "predicted" James Randi having a "heart condition", which at the time would not be a stretch considering his age at the time. And she also "predicted" her own death year and was way off.
RE: Game shows and BS superstition.
So why torture yourself by watching it?
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(October 25, 2020 at 11:03 pm)Eleven Wrote: So why torture yourself by watching it?

Glutton for punishment? Seems masochistic to me.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman
(October 25, 2020 at 11:01 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Ok so I am channel surfing, and stop briefly on a new version, rehashed version of the 1970s game show "Card Sharks". 

So during the game one lady contestant kept claiming by implication she had clairvoyance. So much so even the host asked if she was. 

Ok so she goes to the bonus round after beating her rival. The host asks her how much she thinks she is going to win, and she says, "360,000, I had a premonition." And it was one of those things you could tell she wasn't joking about any of her comments about her "powers". Anyway, she gets almost to the end to the last card she has to guess, and her "bank" is only $200,000, not the 360k she predicted. If she had bet all of it she would have gone home with 400k, also not the exact number she "predicted". BUT she bet 160k, AND LOST, leaving leaving her with 40k, also not the 360k she "predicted".

I really hate shit like this. Ok, yea she went out winning something, but that is not the point. She simply got lucky up until the end, she did NOT hit the exact mark she claimed she would. 

This isn't nearly as bad as "psychics" like Sylvia Brown who made a living conning people into giving her money getting them to buy her bullshit books. If I remember correctly Brown "predicted" James Randi having a "heart condition", which at the time would not be a stretch considering his age at the time. And she also "predicted" her own death year and was way off.

One problem I see here is that you’re expending emotional energy over claimed psychics. That’s kind of a waste.

The chief problem is that you’re watching game shows.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(October 25, 2020 at 11:03 pm)Eleven Wrote: So why torture yourself by watching it?

I wanted to see her miss her "premonition", which she did.
I remember watching an old Canadian TV show as a kid called Beyond Reason.

The panelists are given a minimum of information based on their New Age discipline:

palmistry
astrology
clairvoyance
astrology
graphology

They proceeded to make assertions that the guest says yes or no to. The most correct assertions wins, with extra points if they can guess the identity of the guest (name or unique position)

I was always skeptical of it, though I recognized it a game of 20 questions. However, on one episode, all the panelists got the name quickly, with the clairvoyant just saying the "name came to her" without even asking questions.

I assume they all saw the guest backstage.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kitten shows pitbull who's the boss! ignoramus 3 752 December 22, 2017 at 3:06 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  My Top 10 Educational Shows Mechaghostman2 6 1249 July 9, 2016 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  Wholesome shows TheChrist 16 2317 July 31, 2015 at 6:32 pm
Last Post: TheChrist
  Best Educational Kids Shows? ILoveMRHMWogglebugTE 6 1490 July 25, 2015 at 12:56 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  The Republicunts Never Want To Negotiate.....Jon Stewart Shows What They Do Want. Minimalist 4 1103 April 15, 2015 at 3:20 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  List the shows you watch Foxaèr 48 6214 March 10, 2015 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: rexbeccarox
  Jon Stewart Skewers Weather/News Shows Minimalist 4 1334 January 28, 2015 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Shows that were supposed to be funny but we're just stupid BrokenQuill92 47 7576 February 9, 2014 at 10:03 am
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  Shows that should not exist! BrokenQuill92 41 5393 January 22, 2014 at 10:05 pm
Last Post: Michelle_Patton