Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 19, 2024, 5:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am so sick of climate change deniers.
I am so sick of climate change deniers.
I can remember growing up winters being far far longer. But even today, after moving to costal NC in 05, I have never seen such a warmer October than this year. It is insane that we are still in the low to mid 70s and on Thursday we are expected to get to 80 degrees.
RE: I am so sick of climate change deniers.
We have a high of 28 today.

And I don't believe you're sick.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(October 26, 2020 at 9:50 am)brewer Wrote: We have a high of 28 today.

And I don't believe you're sick.

In the 80s and 90s, winter here included 2-3 snow and ice events of 6-10 inches, enough to close schools for days at a time.  Then, there would be 5-6 smaller snows.  2-3 times a decade, there would be 18-22" events.

Last winter, there was no 48 hour period where temps remained below freezing.  That's the new normal.  I miss winter.
It is idle to point out to the perverted man the horror of his perversion: while the fierce fit is on, that horror is the very spice of his craving. — C. S. Lewis
(October 26, 2020 at 11:01 am)Ranjr Wrote: In the 80s and 90s, winter here included 2-3 snow and ice events of 6-10 inches, enough to close schools for days at a time.  Then, there would be 5-6 smaller snows.  2-3 times a decade, there would be 18-22" events.

Last winter, there was no 48 hour period where temps remained below freezing.  That's the new normal.  I miss winter.

The insidious thing about deniers, is that they take a cold event blindly as proof that climate change as a lie. 

Currently both coasts of America  this week are on average way above average, and the middle of the country down to even Oklahoma are freezing. 

This extreme difference is not normal. It is akin to being on the line between the dark and light side of the moon. I am over exaggerating yes, but to make a point. 

Climate volatility isn't hot vs cold, but the long term upward trend of the average global temperature. Climate change also causes more extreme snow storms and extreme cold, because the ice caps are melting dispersing large volumes of cold air. Humans need to look at it just like leaving their fridge freezer open. It will dump out cold air for a while, but the longer you leave it open, the more damage you cause to the freezer to relegate the temperature.

I don't miss winter, I hate cold weather. But that is completely separate from wanting a livable planet.
(October 26, 2020 at 12:12 pm)Brian37 Wrote: The insidious thing about deniers, is that they take a cold event blindly as proof that climate change as a lie. 

Currently both coasts of America  this week are on average way above average, and the middle of the country down to even Oklahoma are freezing. 

This extreme difference is not normal. It is akin to being on the line between the dark and light side of the moon. I am over exaggerating yes, but to make a point. 

Climate volatility isn't hot vs cold, but the long term upward trend of the average global temperature. Climate change also causes more extreme snow storms and extreme cold, because the ice caps are melting dispersing large volumes of cold air. Humans need to look at it just like leaving their fridge freezer open. It will dump out cold air for a while, but the longer you leave it open, the more damage you cause to the freezer to relegate the temperature.

I don't miss winter, I hate cold weather. But that is completely separate from wanting a livable planet.

Yes, there is snow on the radar in OK right now and some slackjaw will say "warming my ass."  Like the idiot who carried a snowball to the Senate floor.  There's no point explaining the difference in weather and climate to such a person because if they wanted to understand and could, they would.  For most climate change is an observation and explanation using science.  For trumpkins and the like, it's a political opinion.  They couldn't possibly agree with something Al Gore said.

I like winter.  I want the ground to freeze and stay frozen for a while.  I want the creeks to rise from the melt.  On a river run last April, I got sunburn on the first day.  On the 2nd day, I pulled the canoe over at a stream to hike to a waterfall.  I was met at the mouth of it by 2 angry water moccasin.  One bowed up and hissed while the other slithered away.  If it had been late May, I would have had a staff with me.  As it was, I went back to the boat.  I had never gotten a sunburn or seen such active, angry snakes in April.  Many people had similar encounters.  Snake experts blamed the warm winter, saying the snakes were hungry because they became active before food was available.

Climate denial, conspiratorial thinking, and gun worship all result from the radical right's inability to admit they've been wrong about some things.  Once people deny the obvious, they allow themselves to believe all manner of nonsense to preserve the pet belief.
(October 26, 2020 at 1:07 pm)Ranjr Wrote:
(October 26, 2020 at 12:12 pm)Brian37 Wrote: The insidious thing about deniers, is that they take a cold event blindly as proof that climate change as a lie. 

Yes, there is snow on the radar in OK right now and some slackjaw will say "warming my ass."  Like the idiot who carried a snowball to the Senate floor.  There's no point explaining the difference in weather and climate to such a person because if they wanted to understand and could, they would.  For most climate change is an observation and explanation using science.  For trumpkins and the like, it's a political opinion.  They couldn't possibly agree with something Al Gore said.

I like winter.  I want the ground to freeze and stay frozen for a while.  I want the creeks to rise from the melt.  On a river run last April, I got sunburn on the first day.  On the 2nd day, I pulled the canoe over at a stream to hike to a waterfall.  I was met at the mouth of it by 2 angry water moccasin.  One bowed up and hissed while the other slithered away.  If it had been late May, I would have had a staff with me.  As it was, I went back to the boat.  I had never gotten a sunburn or seen such active, angry snakes in April.  Many people had similar encounters.  Snake experts blamed the warm winter, saying the snakes were hungry because they became active before food was available.

Climate denial, conspiratorial thinking, and gun worship all result from the radical right's inability to admit they've been wrong about some things.  Once people deny the obvious, they allow themselves to believe all manner of nonsense to preserve the pet belief.

No shit. It is infuriating knowing dumbasses turn facts into a political opinion when it has nothing to do with politics.

These same idiots if alive during the time of Galileo would have sided with the Church in putting him under house arrest.
(October 26, 2020 at 12:12 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(October 26, 2020 at 11:01 am)Ranjr Wrote: In the 80s and 90s, winter here included 2-3 snow and ice events of 6-10 inches, enough to close schools for days at a time.  Then, there would be 5-6 smaller snows.  2-3 times a decade, there would be 18-22" events.

The insidious thing about deniers, is that they take a cold event blindly as proof that climate change as a lie. 

Climate change deniers mostly don't know the difference between weather and climate.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(October 26, 2020 at 2:04 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote:

Climate change deniers mostly don't know the difference between weather and climate.

It isn't brain surgery. Weather refers to the daily based on local, climate refers to long term averages for the entire planet. It is simply frustrating that far to many people cant grasp the difference.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earth' Recent CLimate Spiral 2.0 Leonardo17 105 5318 November 5, 2023 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: Leonardo17
  Earth's recent climate spiral. Jehanne 301 16843 March 5, 2023 at 12:54 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Can we recover from human caused climate change? Aroura 27 6851 November 23, 2020 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Climate Change and ecological collapse ph445 42 9264 August 3, 2017 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Various ways of fighting climate change dyresand 15 3369 April 1, 2017 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  When religion is at odds with climate change research Aegon 24 2787 December 28, 2016 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Will modern society slow the progress of change? Heat 11 2882 May 10, 2016 at 1:52 am
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  Climate change Won2blv 56 10816 May 17, 2015 at 3:27 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Climate change skeptic turned proponent Surgenator 26 6509 February 19, 2015 at 2:09 am
Last Post: Surgenator
  Representative Steve King emailed me on Climate Change rjl7 5 1654 November 21, 2014 at 11:17 am
Last Post: vorlon13