Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 10:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Morality Play'
'Morality Play'
Answer these questions to find out your 'moral parsimony' percentage score:

http://www.philosophersnet.com/games/morality_play.php

(I got 100%).
RE: 'Morality Play'
I got 80%
Geographical Distance: Your score of 67% is somewhat lower than the average score of 73% in this category.

Family Relatedness: Your score of 67% is a bit higher than the average score of 58% in this category.

Acts and Omissions: Your score of 2% is much lower than the average score of 60% in this category.

Scale: Your score of 100% is significantly higher than the average score of 75% in this category.

59%

Yay me, I am so changeable Tongue
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Overall; 65%.

67% for family,which is apparently higher than average. (58%)

I may have skewed the test. There may be a difference between what I see as a moral obligation and what I will actually do.

EG I may occasionally be guilty of compassion,which I do not base on any sense of obligation. EG I do give to charity.In the case of the vacant land, I would almost certainly allow refugees to use it.
63 for me.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
My Moral Parsimony Score is 88%
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
100% for everything except 37% for family relatedness.

Average 84%
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
100% for me.

Turns out I apply a very narrow set of absolute moral principles without consideration of geographical or family issues.

That makes sense given my general approach to questions of morality.

Sam
"We need not suppose more things to exist than are absolutely neccesary." William of Occam

"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt" William Shakespeare (Measure for Measure: Act 1, Scene 4)

AgnosticAtheist
Your Moral Parsimony Score is 59%

But I disagreed with many parts of the quiz.

"Question 4

You are able to help some people. Unfortunately, you can only do so by harming other people. The number of people harmed will always be 10 percent of those helped. When considering whether it is morally justified to help does the actual number of people involved make any difference? For example, does it make a difference if you are helping ten people by harming one person rather than helping 100,000 people by harming 10,000 people?"

Thus I answered yes, overall though I was thinking of medical trials and numerous other actions which could result in the deaths of 10% or above, most of which are out of your control. I think it would have been better to give an option like 'in some circumstances'.

Though regardless of score I don't believe you are 'morally obliged' to do anything you don't want to do, unless of course your actions have resulted in harm to others and thus make you partly/totally responsible for their plight enough that you are 'morally obliged' to help them, but even in those cases if it was out of your control then you wouldn't be morally obliged at all to help.

Those were just my thoughts, you might think differently.
100% for me.

(March 4, 2011 at 8:44 pm)BlackUnicorn Wrote: I think it would have been better to give an option like 'in some circumstances'.

This is basically what was being tested, your inclination to weigh circumstances in making moral decisions. 100% parsimony means that your morality is based on principle, not circumstance.

Another morality play I read goes something like this:

Your spouse is dying of a rare disease. A researcher has developed a cure that is not yet available anywhere else. The researcher wants more than you could possibly pay for the cure. Do you steal the cure or let your spouse die, and what is your moral justification.

There is no right or wrong answer, these are tests to determine your approach to morality in general.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beauty, Morality, God, and a Table FrustratedFool 23 1879 October 8, 2023 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Is Moral Nihilism a Morality? vulcanlogician 140 10333 July 17, 2019 at 11:50 am
Last Post: DLJ
  Subjective Morality? mfigurski80 450 37400 January 13, 2019 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Acrobat
  Law versus morality robvalue 16 1342 September 2, 2018 at 7:39 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Objective morality: how would it affect your judgement/actions? robvalue 42 8303 May 5, 2018 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  dynamic morality vs static morality or universal morality Mystic 18 3556 May 3, 2018 at 10:28 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Can somebody give me a good argument in favor of objective morality? Aegon 19 4442 March 14, 2018 at 6:42 pm
  Morality WinterHold 24 2876 November 1, 2017 at 1:36 pm
  What is morality? Mystic 48 6932 September 3, 2017 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Morality from the ground up bennyboy 66 10949 August 4, 2017 at 5:42 pm