Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If all technical knowledge was lost tomorrow...
If all technical knowledge was lost tomorrow...
If all technical knowledge was going to be lost tomorrow and you could only pass one thing on to the next generation what would it be?

Here's Richard Feynman's answer:

Quote:I believe it is the atomic hypothesis (or the atomic fact, or whatever you wish to call it) that all things are made of atoms—little particles that move around in perpetual motion, attracting each other when they are a little distance apart, but repelling upon being squeezed into one another. In that one sentence, you will see, there is an enormous amount of information about the world, if just a little imagination and thinking are applied...

What would you pass on to the next generation?

I think it would have to be Bayes theorem which is in my opinion the prima ultima of rationality.

plato.stanford.edu Wrote:Bayes' Theorem is a simple mathematical formula used for calculating conditional probabilities. It figures prominently in subjectivist or Bayesian approaches to epistemology, statistics, and inductive logic. Subjectivists, who maintain that rational belief is governed by the laws of probability, lean heavily on conditional probabilities in their theories of evidence and their models of empirical learning. Bayes' Theorem is central to these enterprises both because it simplifies the calculation of conditional probabilities and because it clarifies significant features of subjectivist position. Indeed, the Theorem's central insight — that a hypothesis is confirmed by any body of data that its truth renders probable — is the cornerstone of all subjectivist methodology.
RE: If all technical knowledge was lost tomorrow...
I am god.
I said technical knowledge, not ludicrous fantasy Big Grin
I would think the most important thing to pass on would be the most up to date periodic table of elements with a legend that explains what the abbreviations and symbols meant.

[Image: I-periodic-color.gif]

So yeah, I pretty much agree that the atomic theory would be the best thing to leave behind.

A well explained periodic is the best foundation. From there, they can figure everything else out.
I would tell them that blowjobs are good.
Bayes theorum looks pretty simple on most of the mathematics department, but I wouldnt be so sure that would be the end all do all for a scientific legacy. One could look at the periodic table and, with time, eventually reach that theorum..but..perhaps you have your reasons why you chose it. Would you share it with us?
Bayes theorem is the logic of science, good science anyway, with it people could make fairly rapid progress towards the truth and better allocate their resources in the further pursuit of truth. It would also greatly help resolve philosophical, historical and economic debates leaving more room for real progress.
[Image: 400pxrelativity3walkofi.jpg]

Not only for practical applications but also because it's quite amazing to know that a small amount of mass can contain such an incredible amount of energy. The energy in a paper clip, for example, is great enough to make it into an atomic bomb which would cause an explosion that is roughly equal to the size of the Hiroshima explosion (18 kilotons of TNT). I find this equation to be the most beautiful because it describes what goes on in the stars and so many things around us and because it shows us the connection between two of the most fundamental things in the universe which are matter and energy.
Allah wanted us to be able to destroy each other easily Big Grin
(March 4, 2011 at 4:22 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I would tell them that blowjobs are good.

They would certainly figure that out on their own. Wink It's just so damn obvious. Maybe you could give them a diagram for building a fleshlight.

Void, you pose a very interesting question. If technical knowledge includes medical sciences in this question, I would have to say I would pass on the knowledge needed to make antibiotics. It's hard to say if I would choose the same thing, given some thought, but this is certainly worthy of passing down.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  my suggestions of seeking knowledge. Mystic 70 9965 March 18, 2018 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Limit of knowledge? SamWatson 23 3934 April 9, 2017 at 7:15 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Logic Fallacies: A Quiz to Test Your Knowledge, A Cheat Sheet to Refresh It Rhondazvous 0 980 March 6, 2017 at 6:48 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Is knowledge the root of all evil? Won2blv 22 5751 February 18, 2017 at 7:56 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  The origins of Humanities Objective Knowledge and the fundamental mistake of behavior fdesilva 6 1387 August 19, 2016 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: PETE_ROSE
  Explicit vs Implicit Knowledge LivingNumbers6.626 9 2101 July 9, 2016 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Knowledge and belief in God Harris 37 4441 April 29, 2016 at 8:00 am
Last Post: paulpablo
  My View on Belief vs. Knowledge GrandizerII 29 7246 March 4, 2015 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Belief and Knowledge Heywood 150 14852 November 9, 2014 at 8:24 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Transcendental Knowledge? Mudhammam 78 10809 October 17, 2014 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger