Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 5:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cults
Cults
I've been watching a series about various cults.  It's not exactly the pinnacle of journalism but is sort of an interesting overview of various cults.  Though I have heard of, or read about, many of these cults seeing them covered in short documentaries one after the other, I am struck by how many cult leaders bring in polygamy and/or child sexual abuse.  

The draw seems to be serving a god and having a sense of community only to find out that it's really about abuse...sexual and otherwise.

I am surprised by the people who fall for these leaders and what they are willing to do to remain a part of the cult.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

RE: Cults
(February 17, 2021 at 10:35 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: I am surprised by the people who fall for these leaders and what they are willing to do to remain a part of the cult.

I'm not.
(February 17, 2021 at 10:35 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: The draw seems to be serving a god and having a sense of community only to find out that it's really about abuse...sexual and otherwise.

I am surprised by the people who fall for these leaders and what they are willing to do to remain a part of the cult.

You listen to enough episodes of Last Podcast on the Left, it starts to make more sense. One of the biggest running themes in the cult episodes is how charismatic leaders (who may or may not be presenting themselves as a God) prey on people who are often struggling in their lives and tell them exactly what they want to hear, even if it might not be in a way they were ever expecting. And, as for the crazy shit, you start with the thin end of the wedge if you expect to go anywhere.

I think I've mentioned the case of Ron Miscavige before. He was a struggling realtor with recurring headaches and an asthmatic son named David. Then, one day, he goes to a conference and hears someone talking about Scientology and he's intrigued. He uses some of their tricks in his job and he gets somewhere. When Scientology tells him that if he has a headache, he should look into the mirror and give it to that guy, it somehow works. They even cure his asthma. And 20 years later, he's in the Sea Org, and even though his son David grew up to be the head of the Church, he's living in poverty in the Sea Org (bear in mind, they get paid $50/week and they work long hours every day) and even the ties of family doesn't shield him from his son's wrath.

Why do they stay? I'll give you a hint: it rhymes with Drunk Lost Galaxy. To name one of the most notorious and literal examples: we all know about Xenu's role in Scientology, but they're careful to NEVER bring that up to new members. In fact, before they're allowed to talk about the Xenu story, the member has to take a shitton of expensive courses. How much will it cost before you learn about how Xenu brainwashed a shitton of aliens in volcanoes so they could possess cavemen? Tony Ortega gives a running price of $278,273.25. Why, yes, that is the cost of a decent-sized house.

And while the absolute scale isn't quite as drastic, odds are, with a cult that's doing its job properly, they get you invested enough in its teachings that you can't bear to leave. In the case of Ron Miscavige, even though the Co$' practices became intolerable enough that he had to leave, he still practices many of its teachings. This is not as uncommon as you might think for Scientology: just google "Scientology Free Zone." In many cases, the cult leader takes literally everything his members own. If done properly, this will eventually lead to a follower ready to die or potentially even kill for the Greater Good:

In one extreme instance, and I really wish I was making this up, (Hidden because the scenario is so fucked up it disturbs even ME)

As ghoulish as this scenario is, this isn't something I made up. It's something Roch Theriault of the Ant Hill Kids actually did. It's one of the things that put him in prison for life.

It also really helps that cult leaders tend to introduce the abuse and horrifying shit slowly. The Children of God started off as a relatively chaste group, then they were permitted some relatively sane heterosexual relationships, then they're allowed free love, and then they start to add children into the mix... Rest in Power, Ricky Rodriguez. Also, at some point, they decide that if you masturbate, you have to imagine yourself as a woman getting vaginally penetrated by Jesus (even if you're a man, you still have to imagine Jesus pounding the pussy you don't even have. Sexual orientation and gender identity are irrelevant in this case.)

TL;DR: Imagine why people end up staying in relationships they know to be abusive and bear in mind that they still hold even when the examples can be more bug-fuck insane than any relationship.

(February 17, 2021 at 11:22 pm)Eleven Wrote:
(February 17, 2021 at 10:35 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: I am surprised by the people who fall for these leaders and what they are willing to do to remain a part of the cult.

I'm not.

Welcome back, Kit.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Mind tricks work on those with tiny, weak, minds.

When you let others do your thinking for you, principles are conveniently obscured.
Watched a show on cults from YouTube a couple of years back.

Very weird, very scary people.
Dying to live, living to die.
Our chief luminary Markus Bright-Light-Of-The-World teaches us that there are no such things as these 'cults' you people speak of. All that is required to achieve supreme consciousness and life long happiness is dedication, having an open mind, and a willingness to bring others into the light.

Oh, and your banking information.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(February 18, 2021 at 6:32 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: ...

Oh, and your banking information.

Boru

Your daughter probably too.
Cetero censeo religionem delendam esse
(February 18, 2021 at 1:28 am)no one Wrote: Mind tricks work on those with tiny, weak, minds.

When you let others do your thinking for you, principles are conveniently obscured.

A more competent mind more competently lies to it's owner.  Conditioning works on every swinging richard, not just the dumb ones.  

Smart ones may have a unique blindspot in that their perimeter defense is taken to be so effective that anything inside of it is automatically assumed -not- to be the loony conditioned shit.  That's where the thin end of the wedge comes in.  

If I were intentionally looking to con someone, I'd pick a person that believed that only weak minds could be conditioned, and that they didn't have one of those weak minds.  In fact I'd tell them that, in many other words and ways, all the time. Laundering my efforts. A wary mark, otoh, is too much work. Frankly, a cult has an existential requirement that swirls around the cultists ability to close their mind off. To be strong in the way that the comment above would imply had some benefit to preventing conditioning. It doesn't..it's how you hold conditioned states - and you don't want someone so empty headed that the next con can come along, undo all your work, and profit from it.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
The only difference between a cult and a religion is - in the cult there is a guy at the top that knows it's all bullshit. In religion - that guy died.
(February 18, 2021 at 12:13 am)Rev. Rye Wrote:
(February 17, 2021 at 10:35 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: The draw seems to be serving a god and having a sense of community only to find out that it's really about abuse...sexual and otherwise.

You listen to enough episodes of Last Podcast on the Left, it starts to make more sense. One of the biggest running themes in the cult episodes is how charismatic leaders (who may or may not be presenting themselves as a God) prey on people who are often struggling in their lives and tell them exactly what they want to hear, even if it might not be in a way they were ever expecting. And, as for the crazy shit, you start with the thin end of the wedge if you expect to go anywhere.

I think I've mentioned the case of Ron Miscavige before. He was a struggling realtor with recurring headaches and an asthmatic son named David. Then, one day, he goes to a conference and hears someone talking about Scientology and he's intrigued. He uses some of their tricks in his job and he gets somewhere. When Scientology tells him that if he has a headache, he should look into the mirror and give it to that guy, it somehow works. They even cure his asthma. And 20 years later, he's in the Sea Org, and even though his son David grew up to be the head of the Church, he's living in poverty in the Sea Org (bear in mind, they get paid $50/week and they work long hours every day) and even the ties of family doesn't shield him from his son's wrath.

Why do they stay? I'll give you a hint: it rhymes with Drunk Lost Galaxy. To name one of the most notorious and literal examples: we all know about Xenu's role in Scientology, but they're careful to NEVER bring that up to new members. In fact, before they're allowed to talk about the Xenu story, the member has to take a shitton of expensive courses. How much will it cost before you learn about how Xenu brainwashed a shitton of aliens in volcanoes so they could possess cavemen? Tony Ortega gives a running price of $278,273.25. Why, yes, that is the cost of a decent-sized house.

And while the absolute scale isn't quite as drastic, odds are, with a cult that's doing its job properly, they get you invested enough in its teachings that you can't bear to leave. In the case of Ron Miscavige, even though the Co$' practices became intolerable enough that he had to leave, he still practices many of its teachings. This is not as uncommon as you might think for Scientology: just google "Scientology Free Zone." In many cases, the cult leader takes literally everything his members own. If done properly, this will eventually lead to a follower ready to die or potentially even kill for the Greater Good:

In one extreme instance, and I really wish I was making this up, (Hidden because the scenario is so fucked up it disturbs even ME)

As ghoulish as this scenario is, this isn't something I made up. It's something Roch Theriault of the Ant Hill Kids actually did. It's one of the things that put him in prison for life.

It also really helps that cult leaders tend to introduce the abuse and horrifying shit slowly. The Children of God started off as a relatively chaste group, then they were permitted some relatively sane heterosexual relationships, then they're allowed free love, and then they start to add children into the mix... Rest in Power, Ricky Rodriguez. Also, at some point, they decide that if you masturbate, you have to imagine yourself as a woman getting vaginally penetrated by Jesus  (even if you're a man, you still have to imagine Jesus pounding the pussy you don't even have. Sexual orientation and gender identity are irrelevant in this case.)

TL;DR: Imagine why people end up staying in relationships they know to be abusive and bear in mind that they still hold even when the examples can be more bug-fuck insane than any relationship.
Yeah, I have heard of all these cults, and several more.

I follow several podcasts though LPOTT isn't one of them.  It was strange listening to short shows back-to-back that summed up what I really already knew about these cults.  One after the other showed how sexual abuse of all ages was used in nearly all of the cults covered.

I also thought about abusive relationships...and that does help it to make more sense as to the why, and how, people stay.  Of course one aspect of these relationships be they between two people or a cult is taking away the resources to leave.  Where do you go and what do you do if you have no money, no contacts, no nothing?

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are all religions cults? Aroura 88 10936 September 30, 2018 at 1:41 am
Last Post: robvalue
  How Many Cults? paulpablo 11 4927 July 9, 2014 at 12:05 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Churches, Sects, and Cults Annik 1 14240 November 9, 2012 at 2:10 pm
Last Post: frankiej