Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Many Cults?
How Many Cults?
I was just thinking how many cults exist on the earth within the last two centuries?

I don't know the answer so no one wins a cake for guessing the right amount.

I was thinking the number must be around 100, 000 but I know it's difficult to guess this type of thing.

Bare in mind I've considered every religion to be a cult and every fractured piece of each religion to be a separate cult, for example the Sunni Muslims who believe god tells them suicide bombs are fine will be in a separate cult from the Sunni Muslims who don't believe in the use of suicide bombs, who will also be separate from the shia Muslims and the nation of Islam and so on and so on.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

RE: How Many Cults?
That many?
And all those billions of people over the centuries felt him and heard god talk to them!
But still no-one knows what he looks like, where he lives, or what his exact stance on human morality is.
He's a mysterious little bugger isn't he. I'd like to say to him:
Well your arseholiness, take a good look around you and tell us that this was your master plan, Oh mighty one!
We probably could have done much better if you didn't exist.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
I am thinking (generally speaking) that there are 7 billion people on the planet? ..... THAT is the number of cults on the planet now
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(July 1, 2014 at 2:43 am)paulpablo Wrote: I was just thinking how many cults exist on the earth within the last two centuries?

I was thinking the number must be around 100, 000 but I know it's difficult to guess this type of thing.

Bare in mind I've considered every religion to be a cult and every fractured piece of each religion to be a separate cult, for example the Sunni Muslims who believe god tells them suicide bombs are fine will be in a separate cult from the Sunni Muslims who don't believe in the use of suicide bombs, who will also be separate from the shia Muslims and the nation of Islam and so on and so on.

Is Osama bin Ladin's Sunni Muslims, who believed god told them suicide bombers were fine, but who also believed that creating fear amongst infidels with suicide bombing should be balanced with cultivation of the image of relative moderation (no cutting off heads, etc) and paying lip services to reducing civilian casualties and expressing regret for dead women and children, especially but not limited to, if the victim were Muslims of either Sunni or Shiite faiths, a separate cult from ISIS Sunni Muslims, who seem to believe suicide bombing is okay, but it is good to go out of their way to cultivate the image of a particular relish for killing civilians, using methods like crucifixions to say nothing of be headings, and the relish is especially strong where the victims were Shiites?
Just LDS in less than 200 years has spawned over 100.

(assuming you take LDS as not a 'cult' and all the spinoffs as 'cults')

Joseph Smith birthed quite a mess, no doubt about it, and in over 100 instances, his followers felt things had mutated enough that they had to break away and perfect (or re-perfect) all the folderol Smith had translated off the gold plates. And some of the LDS spinoffs, have had spinoffs of their own. Remnant Church from RLDS springs to mind.
(July 1, 2014 at 3:38 am)ignoramus Wrote: But still no-one knows what he looks like, where he lives, or what his exact stance on human morality is.

This is where you and the individual people of these cults obviously have a misunderstanding. They do know the answers to these questions. You just refuse to accept them.
Quote:How Many Cults?

All of them.
(July 1, 2014 at 8:50 am)Chuck Wrote:
(July 1, 2014 at 2:43 am)paulpablo Wrote: I was just thinking how many cults exist on the earth within the last two centuries?

Is Osama bin Ladin's Sunni Muslims, who believed god told them suicide bombers were fine, but who also believed that creating fear amongst infidels with suicide bombing should be balanced with cultivation of the image of relative moderation (no cutting off heads, etc) and paying lip services to reducing civilian casualties and expressing regret for dead women and children, especially but not limited to, if the victim were Muslims of either Sunni or Shiite faiths, a separate cult from ISIS Sunni Muslims, who seem to believe suicide bombing is okay, but it is good to go out of their way to cultivate the image of a particular relish for killing civilians, using methods like crucifixions to say nothing of be headings, and the relish is especially strong where the victims were Shiites?

I don't know, I do know that both these groups argue about petty things such as the correct way to establish the caliphate, I was thinking of more clear cut things such as believing god is telling them terrorism is ok vs telling them terrorism is always wrong.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

(July 1, 2014 at 11:32 am)Napoléon Wrote:
(July 1, 2014 at 3:38 am)ignoramus Wrote: But still no-one knows what he looks like, where he lives, or what his exact stance on human morality is.

This is where you and the individual people of these cults obviously have a misunderstanding. They do know the answers to these questions. You just refuse to accept them.

Yes, I stand corrected!
What was I thinking?
I don't know, sometimes my stupid logic gets in the way of a good analysis.Confused Fall
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
There are so many official cults in the world as grains of sand in my hands.
[Image: Heart%20Sand%20Hand.jpg]

As for the rest of the unofficial, individual and personal cults along with all the religious sects….
[Image: sweating-onion-head-emoticon.gif]
I'm gonna need bigger hands

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One God versus many T.J. 42 2970 December 6, 2021 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Cults arewethereyet 13 992 February 19, 2021 at 12:27 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Are all religions cults? Aroura 88 11136 September 30, 2018 at 1:41 am
Last Post: robvalue
  How many churches/mosques/temples do you see everyday? Casca 23 2919 October 25, 2016 at 11:38 am
Last Post: TheRealJoeFish
  Why the "There are so many interpretations of the Bible" claim is confused Delicate 382 57705 November 3, 2015 at 11:12 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  If atheists treated Christians like many Christians treat atheists... StealthySkeptic 24 11003 August 25, 2014 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: Darkstar
  How many of you are secular? Gooders1002 23 4267 April 12, 2014 at 3:44 pm
Last Post: Rabb Allah
Tongue How many religious people obey this commandment? Big Blue Sky 20 7545 June 3, 2013 at 3:19 pm
Last Post: Godscreated
  Why do so many laugh at creationists? SpecUVdust 6 3424 November 19, 2012 at 12:24 pm
Last Post: mr.atheist
  Churches, Sects, and Cults Annik 1 14247 November 9, 2012 at 2:10 pm
Last Post: frankiej