Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 2:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stray cats.
Stray cats.
I am a sucker for a cute face.

It is why I have my 13 year old feline best friend so far. But he is strictly an indoor cat. But just today, just about the same size pattern furr color/species waltzed it's way into my yard today, meowing for attention. I knew I could not bring it in, but it looked in good health and was happy. I had a good ten minutes petting it, having fun with it. I felt like I was cheeting on my own house cat.
RE: Stray cats.
It was funny, the cat kept walking up my front steps trying to look into my screen door, or try to get in. I don't know what it was thinking, exept that it was completely comfortable with humans. I tried to "shoo" it away, in a gentle manor, and it looked well taken care of regardless. But I did feel like shit in doing that too. It was so friendly.
Replying to your own posts is pretty weird. Cute story though.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(April 27, 2021 at 4:22 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Replying to your own posts is pretty weird. Cute story though.

Boru

Yea like diaries that nobody reads is "weird". 

If I cared that every post on the internet I made was read, and it was life and death, I would have killed myself a long time ago. Yet here you and I are.
That's kind of an overreaction. I said it was weird, I didn't say it was wrong.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I have a grey tabby that come in almost nightly for food, and has been for the past two years.

I've never chased it out and I always talk to it in a friendly manner, but when I stand, it always flees.
Dying to live, living to die.
(April 27, 2021 at 4:53 am)The Valkyrie Wrote: I have a grey tabby that come in almost nightly for food, and has been for the past two years.

I've never chased it out and I always talk to it in a friendly manner, but when I stand, it always flees.

I've run into cats in the past that love humans, and follow you around. This wasn't the first time. I simply couldn't take it in because I have my own cat. And as I said, it had a shiny coat, looked well taken care of, so I am presuming it is a cat in my neigborhood. It was definately aclimated to humans. 

It was just UBER CUTE, how it persisted in following me to my house. I was like "No, you don't understand, you cant."
(April 26, 2021 at 8:28 pm)Brian37 Wrote: I am a sucker for a cute face.

It is why I have my 13 year old feline best friend so far. But he is strictly an indoor cat. But just today, just about the same size pattern furr color/species waltzed it's way into my yard today, meowing for attention. I knew I could not bring it in, but it looked in good health and was happy. I had a good ten minutes petting it, having fun with it. I felt like I was cheeting on my own house cat.

We get lots of feral cats around here. I think it really enriches the neighborhood. 

I'm on the side of a mountain, with a lot of green area uphill from me. We have raccoon dogs (tanuki) and badgers regularly. Once I saw a fox. There's at least one wild boar that comes down sometimes -- if I don't close the gate on my garden he'll come in and dig things up. 

We noticed that one of the regular cats in the garden was pregnant, so I talked to the neighborhood association about the city's neuter and release program. They said that if I trapped it then we'd wait for her to have her babies and do the surgery after. So I built a humane trap and got her right away, and took her to the head of the neighborhood association -- I said, OK, she's all yours. But the lady said, no, it's MY job to keep her until the babies were born. Which they were, in my house, behind a bookshelf. We got the mom's surgery, found homes for three of the babies, and now we have three in the house which we never intended to have. But of course we love them too much to send them out, now.
There's a stray that occasionally shows up at the door to my workshop and will sit for hours, just watching me. Nothing seems to frighten him, unless I take a step towards him, at which point he leaves like he's late for a doctor's appointment.

Boru
(April 27, 2021 at 5:14 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: There's a stray that occasionally shows up at the door to my workshop and will sit for hours, just watching me. Nothing seems to frighten him, unless I take a step towards him, at which point he leaves like he's late for a doctor's appointment.

Boru

Yep. Run into those cats before. But this one I ran into today, was very affectionate, and was very curious and wanted to follow me. I have also ran into cats like you describe. I think that is more for food than companionship. 

It let me pet it and kept trying to follow me up my steps to my house. It was comical trying to let it down. "I know you have a family, you are in great shape, shiney coat, you already have a home". And it was like, "But I like you".

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New file, dogs/cats, how to frustrate your human brewer 13 771 July 1, 2022 at 9:55 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Dogs or cats? Losty 67 4393 October 25, 2019 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Cats Will Not Take This Lying Down Minimalist 81 9296 September 1, 2018 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  The Zombie AF Members as Cats thread Mystical 87 13712 February 6, 2018 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Something cute to brighten up your day. If you didn't love cats, you love them now. IanHulett 34 6895 July 23, 2015 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: MTL
  Dogs and Cats hugging CapnAwesome 8 4956 January 23, 2013 at 9:46 am
Last Post: The Magic Pudding
  Name Germans' Cats! Kayenneh 24 3111 January 20, 2013 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  My cats LOVE turkey! reverendjeremiah 14 4145 May 30, 2011 at 3:39 am
Last Post: reverendjeremiah