Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:42 pm

Poll: To kill or to not kill
This poll is closed.
I will kill in self defense
100.00%
7 100.00%
I will not kill under any circumstance
0%
0 0%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You're a superhero
You're a superhero
Watching the show Jupiter's Legacy, I have to honestly state that the self righteousness of The Code annoyed the hell out of me throughout the viewing experience.

Therefore, I pose this question to you:

If you are a superhero, do you think it is morally acceptable to kill a supervillain in self-defense or do you absolutely adhere to the no killing code?
RE: You're a superhero
Why can't I be the superhero for evil?
At work.

Well... it also kind of comes down to what power level of super hero are you?

Are you up there with Superman or Hyperpatriot or what have you?

Are you a millionaire, philanthropist, supergenius but otherwise 'Normal' physically squishy person?

Are you "Talk to cats person"?

(^_^)
(May 13, 2021 at 11:41 pm)Eleven Wrote: Watching the show Jupiter's Legacy, I have to honestly state that the self righteousness of The Code annoyed the hell out of me throughout the viewing experience.

If you are a superhero, do you think it is morally acceptable to kill a supervillain in self-defense or do you absolutely adhere to the no killing code?

A truly super (superior, admirably great) hero would always find ways to avoid this question. She could solve all the superhero problems without violence. 

It would make for a boring TV show, I admit. Like Star Trek without shooting any ray guns.
(May 13, 2021 at 11:41 pm)Eleven Wrote: Watching the show Jupiter's Legacy, I have to honestly state that the self righteousness of The Code annoyed the hell out of me throughout the viewing experience.

That code is stupid enough so that anyone who would never under any circumstances violate it can be very super as a member of any larger society, nor take doing good and fighting evil genuinely seriously.
You can only kill in self defence?

What a crock!
Dying to live, living to die.

Skip the superstition and comic book example. I think anyone in the world will, under extreme cercumstances, when they feel they have no choice, choose to defend themselves, even if it is good logic or bad logic.

I think most humans, if you approach them with a gun or knife and threaten them, are going to go into fight or flight mode. The problem with humans is that we also are capable of delusions of self entitlement.
(May 14, 2021 at 3:16 am)The Valkyrie Wrote: You can only kill in self defence?

What a crock!

It’s not that hard.   You just redefine whatever you were doing when you kill to be self defense.   Even the dumbest American cops can manage it.
(May 14, 2021 at 4:22 am)Anomalocaris Wrote:
(May 14, 2021 at 3:16 am)The Valkyrie Wrote: You can only kill in self defence?

What a crock!

It’s not that hard.   You just redefine whatever you were doing when you kill to be self defense.   Even the dumbest American cops can manage it.

"I burned down that old peoples' home in self defence!"

Yeah, that works.
Dying to live, living to die.
I like the way Batman solved this: he doesn't kill people, but his car does.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you could be a superhero..........what would be your superpower? ErGingerbreadMandude 36 4022 July 27, 2017 at 6:12 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  [split] Dressing up like a superhero to see a movie? Cinjin 53 22419 July 21, 2012 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Erinome