Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 5:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Society turning sociopathic
Society turning sociopathic
eand.co
Quote:Here’s a tiny question. Do you think our societies are turning…sociopathic? The more that I think about it…I do.

The way I think about our societies now — particularly America — is this. They’ve been captured by organized coalitions of something very much like sociopaths. We give those coalitions of sociopaths various polite names — “corporations,” “hedge funds,” “parties,” “lobbyists,” and so on. But what they really are, in simple psychosocial terms, are…organized coalitions of sociopaths. People who are indifferent at best to extreme human suffering, and who — at worst — derive a kind of self-worth and pleasure from it.

What do I mean by “sociopaths”? I mean it in a very precise and simple way. These groups, these coalitions, who have risen to the commanding heights, don’t care about anything — anything — but money and power. They. Don’t Care. About anything. Else. Period. Full Stop. The planet’s burning? So what? Profit! Democracy’s dying! Good work, gang! The middle class imploded into the new poor? Count those megabucks! And so on. Perhaps you see what I mean a little bit — I mean it in a simpler but truer way than the technical psychiatric diagnosis (someone who can’t “understand feelings”).

(Let me give you a few examples. There’s the family who profited to a mind-boggling degree by…hooking a nation on opioids. There’s the family who owns the chain of megastores that ripped the heart out of the economy…laughing all the way to the bank. There’s the CEOs of HMOs, who are quite content to rake in millions earned from…the literal misery, the denial of decent healthcare…to a nation. There are the “hedge fund managers” who revel in all the above, and slaver over seven figure bonuses. And, of course, there’s our old friends Zuck and Jack — and the armies of minions who “work for” them, who seem perfectly happy with turning the public sphere over to propaganda, hate, demagogues, and lies. As the old joke goes now, Zuck and Jack are more likely to ban anything but a fascist. And then there’s McKinsey…that pillar of American business…running…concentration camps. What the?)

My friends, it’s high time we recognized a fact. These are not normal, acceptable, civilized behaviours. Things like running concentration camps and profiting from drug epidemics and denying sick people healthcare and earning a fortune off crippling “interest rates” are the stuff of textbook sociopathy. They might be dressed up in polite terms, but they remain precisely the same: gaining pleasure from suffering, harm, and destruction. Only this kind of sociopathy exists on an epic scale — a social scale, perhaps a global one.

Read further:

That, my friends, is the human condition. And it matters, intensely — because what we have done is forgotten it, about ourselves, and each other. Hence, sociopaths rules — and make little sociopaths of us. We prey on one another’s pain, instead of hold one another close, instead of wiping each other’s bitter tears away. When was the last time you lost a loved one — suddenly, just like that? I see you. I hold you. I know you. Here, take my hand. I will walk beside you. Do you understand what I mean now?

We are orphans, on a mote of dust, spinning through the eternal darkness. We are starlight, specks of fire, one spring day. And then we are gone. Let us hold one another, until the heavens come down. We are all we have. That is what it means to be human, alive, aware, true, here. now. Anything less than the recognition of the terrible, beautiful pain of the universal human condition, I’ve come to believe, has something of the sociopath in it. I am not above you. You are not above me. We are all we have. I hold you in everything I do.

The rest, I imagine, is up to you.

Umair
RE: Society turning sociopathic
Turning? No. The veneer is rubbing off and now we can see what's always been lurking underneath.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
Sociopathy or just Standard Operating Procedure for unfettered capitalism? You make the call!

Honestly, there's a lot of room where we can argue society as a whole is becoming more and more sociopathic, but what Umair is talking about isn't so much society as a small cadre of elites who are willing to bone life on Earth for everyone in pursuit of a little extra cash, even if they already have enough money they can probably create Scrooge McDuck's bank vault-cum-money swimming pool IRL.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Sociopathy always had been of great advantage in gaining and keeping power and wealth. So it may be assumed amongst the powerful in any society is a great over-representation of sociopaths compared to the society in general.

The difference is in the prevailing social morality and social structure, how nakedly self-serving can the sociopaths be before backlash overwhelms the power they’ve gathered.
Claiming that the US/world is turning more sociopathic is not accurate and a bit whiny. Compare today to the prior century. Prior millennium.

Could society do better.......... yes. Every society could always do better. Are we slipping backwards.......... not by a long shot.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Sociopathy isn’t getting worse, it’s just getting filmed.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trump turning young people against the church TaraJo 13 1019 November 3, 2020 at 11:26 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Does society do better under a matriarchy? BrokenQuill92 11 1692 April 18, 2016 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  How an intelligent and responsible society handles drug issues. Ryantology 11 2465 December 9, 2014 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: John V