Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 5:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A picture of a statue
A picture of a statue
Here is a picture of one of my favorite statues…a statue of Alice from Central Park, NYC. 

[Image: Children-play-on-alice-in-wonderland-scu...york-3.jpg]

The statue is almost always covered with kids climbing on the bronze behemoth. Alice is a creature of fable…we know that.

I’m wondering how the atheists here feel about statues…particularly of fabled creatures.

Please share, if you will, a picture of a favorite piece of sculpture…particularly of a fabled creature?

RE: A picture of a statue
I don't attribute anything beyond aesthetics to art. How people interact with that art is entirely unrelated, in my view.

Here's a statue, called The Twins (translated) (that might be considered NSFW) from Google street map:
https://www.google.com/maps/@62.0102415,...6656?hl=en
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman
The Wounded Lion Of Lucerne (pictures don’t do it justice):

[Image: ?url=http%3A%2F%2Fnpr-brightspot.s3.amaz...nnamed.png]

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Lord Shiva Statue In Murdeshwara

[Image: Lord_Shiva_Statue_In_Murdeshwara.jpg]
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Statues are not real.
Not a statue? I beg to differ......

[Image: Clegg-John-Travolta-Has-Yet-to-Be-Recogn...zzeria.jpg]
While in Japan, in the week and a half I was there. I saw a couple of massive, and I MEAN massive statues to Buddha that could make the Empire State building blush.
(June 20, 2021 at 12:55 pm)Brian37 Wrote: While in Japan, in the week and a half I was there. I saw a couple of massive, and I MEAN massive statues to Buddha that could make the Empire State building blush.

No, you didn’t. The Empire State Building is a little over 1400 feet high (including the dirigible mooring mast). The largest statue of Buddha in Japan is less than 400.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
On the way to town, I drive past a crappy old house.  It's not the only one.  Five years ago, it was crappy but well-kept.  Now it's trashy.  Not yet to the level of hilljack squalor holler, but on it's way.  Just needs another junk truck and water heater.

On the porch rail sits a toddler-sized statue.  It's a sambo with a cane pole.  Hung from the pole is a confederate flag.  I'll spare you the picture.
(June 20, 2021 at 1:56 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(June 20, 2021 at 12:55 pm)Brian37 Wrote: While in Japan, in the week and a half I was there. I saw a couple of massive, and I MEAN massive statues to Buddha that could make the Empire State building blush.

No, you didn’t. The Empire State Building is a little over 1400 feet high (including the dirigible mooring mast). The largest statue of Buddha in Japan is less than 400.

Boru
Why?

There hasn't been a flying dirigible in almost 50 years.....

It'd be like having a hitching post in the McDonalds drive thru....

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Picture not related... Gawdzilla Sama 8 529 November 21, 2023 at 8:31 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Tell us your age with a picture Foxaèr 74 9211 May 14, 2018 at 2:53 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  How does everyone picture God? ignoramus 26 3212 December 9, 2017 at 2:59 am
Last Post: Patrick33
  Funny picture thread dyresand 9 2148 October 19, 2015 at 10:22 pm
Last Post: dyresand
Wink The god manifests in nature picture thread abaris 20 2996 November 24, 2014 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
Photo Picture? Share it! Keri 29 4862 October 12, 2014 at 1:07 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Raunchy Devil statue 'erected' outside SkyTrain station MJ the Skeptical 12 2268 September 17, 2014 at 11:33 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  What is the meaning behind your avatar picture? Something completely different 166 33942 January 28, 2014 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: StoryBook
  Is it just me or is EGross' profile picture creepy and unsettling? Mystical 4 2190 March 3, 2013 at 2:19 am
Last Post: Kayenneh
  My feel good picture of the year popeyespappy 4 2240 January 5, 2013 at 12:51 pm
Last Post: BGChuckLee