Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 3:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How does everyone picture God?
How does everyone picture God?
As atheists we know that no one can properly define God as God is a person's personal God so their God's characteristics and morals are usually a reflection of their own.

How do I picture God if I strain and squint hard enough?...

A cartoony old man in the clouds? Dunno Don't know what else to say? I'm not experienced in these things...

I'm expecting the big guns to chime in with some fine details ...They're good at that stuff... (*cough*)
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
RE: How does everyone picture God?
To the literal minded, God is a literal thing. But I suspect God is something mundane like an old brain appendage we don't much use any longer. But probably the parts we do use repurpose bits and parts of the 'godly' bits. Now and then our modern brains might malfunction and the old mammalian bits fire up. Maybe that is what we call schizophrenia. Religion is nine parts nostalgia.
It's that thing you see when you look hard into the sun.
When I was still a believer, I never really thought of God as having physical characteristics, it was always these "uncountables" attributes, like the omni- attributes, knowing everything, somehow, able to know my mind and what I would think and do before I did, and so on. It wasn't until I was around 13 years old that I started to question these things, starting with the 2 versions of The Ten Commandments; why would there be 2 versions for a being that is perfect, I asked myself. It wasn't what made me atheist, but it got the ball rolling, so to speak.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman
Code:
void God(void) {
}
"Old guy in the sky" pretty much. When I was really young, I used to imagine him in a white bishop's hat. I was raised Catholic, maybe that has something to do with it. I don't know where else I'd have gotten the idea.
Probably one of the renaissance paintings. Something like this.

[Image: saints.jpg]
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I always thought about that old painting of an old man reaching down to Adam. So basically he looks like Zeus. Though reading the old testament, I started picturing him more like Ares. Especially with songs they taught me about putting on the armor of god. so he's like this general leading armies, and raining fire and brimstone upon his enemies.

And then he has this kid who was basically a hippy. There were pictures of Jesus too, but I always kind of thought he'd have darker skin. Very european looking for a carpenter from the desert.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I see the God character as just that, a character, not a real thing. As a character, I see it as very selfish, very narcissistic and very brutal to anyone who doesn't kiss his ass. No, I am not speaking for believers, conservative or liberal. Just giving them my take on a character. Just like I would give you a movie or book review.
(December 8, 2017 at 4:46 am)ignoramus Wrote: How do I picture God if I strain and squint hard enough?...

Some gigantic bearded invisible old bloke eating ice cream with one hand and masturbating with the other while he watches people have sex without them knowing.

When he gets really horny he shoves his gigantic invisible penis in a volcano. And that's why they erupt. They erupt because he errupts. Geddit?

Who would know? God is a creep.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Picture not related... Gawdzilla Sama 8 530 November 21, 2023 at 8:31 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Does God gives of fascist vibes? purplepurpose 4 426 March 25, 2022 at 4:04 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  A picture of a statue Frank Apisa 24 1109 June 21, 2021 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Why does everyone want to advertise in their signature? Foxaèr 2 336 September 14, 2020 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Tell us your age with a picture Foxaèr 74 9214 May 14, 2018 at 2:53 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Why does everyone hate Amy Schumer? Foxaèr 42 7904 July 30, 2017 at 10:32 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  What Does/Does Not Offend You? BrianSoddingBoru4 51 6327 December 22, 2016 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Funny picture thread dyresand 9 2148 October 19, 2015 at 10:22 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Does anyone know if Amy Poehler has a religion or believes in God? poehlerfan 22 5779 March 5, 2015 at 2:15 am
Last Post: c172
Wink The god manifests in nature picture thread abaris 20 2996 November 24, 2014 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*