Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Online Gaming Addiction
Online Gaming Addiction
Online Gaming Addiction Poblem

The threat of game addiction is real so us gamers should be careful with our hobby!
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
RE: Online Gaming Addiction
I want more immersive experiences. Seriously, WoW feels like it has broken the 4th wall to the point that i use it a a pretty chat lobby and to play "healing" which is rarely a challenge. Rift is about 500 times more immersive Tongue
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(March 11, 2011 at 5:17 pm)Aerzia Saerules Arktuos Wrote: I want more immersive experiences. Seriously, WoW feels like it has broken the 4th wall to the point that i use it a a pretty chat lobby

I always found one of the charms of WoW to be the fact that it doesn't take itself all that seriously.

I find civilization- and city-building games to be the most immersive. I could play CivII for whole days at a time when I was 12 or so.
Right now, it's all about Dwarf Fortress. It's a DOS game, so not realistic in terms of graphics, but it really draws me in nonetheless.
Galileo was a man of science oppressed by the irrational and superstitious. Today, he is used by the irrational and superstitious who claim they are being oppressed by science - Mark Crislip
lilphil1989 Wrote:I always found one of the charms of WoW to be the fact that it doesn't take itself all that seriously.

Whereas I feel alienated from the game to the point that all of the fun I derive from it is by the occasional and rare competition with other skilled players (or by succeeding at saving a group from something ridiculous, often without even a thank you). The skill bar for the game is so pathetically low that I can carry groups of three people with no tanks through most of the low-mid level content, and even northrend and outland dungeons can be done without tanks in most cases. With a tank I can duo any non-cataclysm instance that isn't gimmick (occulus).

I have healed a 4-man group with a destruction warlock tank through stonecore without any difficulty outside of the time we pulled three groups at once. Honestly: only challenge that starts coming in for me during WoW is by pulling ridiculous things that are designed with the intent of wiping a group, and I do not wipe in dungeons (only time I've wiped in Cataclysm dungeons so far has been pulling two of the giant ogre things at once as well as two other groups in stonecore, which place a debuff on the tank that leads to him being instagibbed).

Perhaps it gets better by cata heroics, which i can't stomach getting to. Skill bar has been so low for so long that I can't even stand to log in anymore for sheer boredom. Game is probably quite the challenge for many people, given how many people complain on the forums that the content is too hard Tongue
(March 11, 2011 at 5:46 pm)Aerzia Saerules Arktuos Wrote: Whereas I feel alienated from the game to the point that all of the fun I derive from it is by the occasional and rare competition with other skilled players (or by succeeding at saving a group from something ridiculous, often without even a thank you). The skill bar for the game is so pathetically low that I can carry groups of three people with no tanks through most of the low-mid level content, and even northrend and outland dungeons can be done without tanks in most cases. With a tank I can duo any non-cataclysm instance that isn't gimmick (occulus).

I have healed a 4-man group with a destruction warlock tank through stonecore without any difficulty outside of the time we pulled three groups at once. Honestly: only challenge that starts coming in for me during WoW is by pulling ridiculous things that are designed with the intent of wiping a group, and I do not wipe in dungeons (only time I've wiped in Cataclysm dungeons so far has been pulling two of the giant ogre things at once as well as two other groups in stonecore, which place a debuff on the tank that leads to him being instagibbed).

Perhaps it gets better by cata heroics, which i can't stomach getting to. Skill bar has been so low for so long that I can't even stand to log in anymore for sheer boredom. Game is probably quite the challenge for many people, given how many people complain on the forums that the content is too hard Tongue

This is why I play PvP Tongue
Galileo was a man of science oppressed by the irrational and superstitious. Today, he is used by the irrational and superstitious who claim they are being oppressed by science - Mark Crislip
Lilphil Wrote:This is why I play PvP

Isn't it still completely broken?

Low levels sees people instagibbed by sub rogues, exploded by hunters, and you can't even kill a prot pally/warrior by yourself, while they proceed to wreck you.

Granted, healing in pvp has capacity to be immensely challenging, but the mechanics of it are usually not so bad. Most teams do not concert their efforts, and so i can easily keep up three people in situations where one should be being annihilated. Against any team with decent skill there is pretty much nothing I can do as a healer.
(March 11, 2011 at 5:56 pm)Aerzia Saerules Arktuos Wrote:
Lilphil Wrote:This is why I play PvP

Isn't it still completely broken?

Low levels sees people instagibbed by sub rogues, exploded by hunters, and you can't even kill a prot pally/warrior by yourself, while they proceed to wreck you.

Granted, healing in pvp has capacity to be immensely challenging, but the mechanics of it are usually not so bad. Most teams do not concert their efforts, and so i can easily keep up three people in situations where one should be being annihilated. Against any team with decent skill there is pretty much nothing I can do as a healer.

There's nothing more fun than going into a BG as a level 20 rogue and then shadowstep -> ambush for instant kills. Tongue

At 85 it's fairly balanced at the moment. Also, I usually play rated battlegrounds and arena. That way you get to choose who you play with, which pretty much ensures cooperation.

What class do you heal with?
Lilphil Wrote:There's nothing more fun than going into a BG as a level 20 rogue and then shadowstep -> ambush for instant kills.

As someone who enjoys the playstyle of both combat and subtlety rogue: i disagree. There is no skill in a single button one-shoting someone. Tune down some of the damage in the low levels (at least against other players), and the level of skill required to do well is going to increase.

If me (sub rogue) and a single kitty can at level 37 can completely shut down 6 people attacking the Blacksmith in AB at the same time: is amazing. To do this consistently? Is wrong.

Said rogue (Expyra - Ghostlands) is now in the 60s somewhere, and combat. Was basically my new main at the time I stopped playing.

Quote:At 85 it's fairly balanced at the moment. Also, I usually play rated battlegrounds and arena. That way you get to choose who you play with, which pretty much ensures cooperation.

At 85, one word: frost mage.

Never tried rated battlegrounds, but honestly: it shouldn't take until max level to have a fun and balanced game.

Quote:What class do you heal with?

Main: Level 84 (is she 85 now? 0.o i really don't know) Restoration Shaymun (Sikuri - Blackwater Raiders). Favorite.
Paladin healers: Level 70-something holy paladin that i used to play as ret until cata (Weilordusala - Blackwater Raiders). Level high 40's or low fifties holy paladin that also used to be ret (Faolin - The Venture Co.)
Another Shaymun healer: Really like female dwarves, easy for me to get into the personalities of my characters and I just like the look (Grigorovna - The Venture Co.)
Priest: One of the biggest flaws with WoW in my opinion is leveling to 15... i could never stand to get a priest to 15 for the longest time, and when I did I just was underwhelmed by her... then i server and faction changed her, and can somewhat enjoy her (Asakia - Ysondre, i think).
Druid: Druid healing at low levels was horribly hard at the start of cata, because every heal took a ton of mana and they just couldnt keep up with the ease of healing other classes had (Salavai? Worgen druid on The Venture Co). Humorously, i can't stand playing a night elf druid: they all look exactly alike, hooray!!!!

I have 6 characters that I used to heal on. I'm glad cata fixed pally healing and brought in a druid race that I could get behind the character in (She morphs into a beast during battle to further facilitate her connection with nature).

I don't only heal, and have a number of dps characters, and one tank... but i played these much less often than my healing characters.
I spent 16 hours a day gaming for a year and a half. After I stopped I had a full blown manic episode with acute psychosis and multiple delusions for 8 weeks, hospitalized.
16 hours everyday for a year and a half?

I really cannot help to wonder, where were your parents/guardians during all that time?

I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gaming News Foxaèr 50 2857 April 12, 2024 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Anyone here play GTA Online? copiedusername 2 691 December 17, 2019 at 5:01 pm
Last Post: copiedusername
  Gaming memes Foxaèr 1 422 April 22, 2019 at 7:40 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Our gaming screenshots Foxaèr 0 316 July 20, 2018 at 5:14 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Your gaming style? Foxaèr 42 6563 May 2, 2018 at 12:11 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Need gaming party members purplepurpose 4 1023 March 2, 2018 at 10:04 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Digital or Phsyical for gaming Sterben 27 5093 December 19, 2017 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: Sterben
  Your favorite "original" gaming song Foxaèr 18 3145 July 25, 2017 at 4:27 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Older gaming blahman212 35 5304 November 18, 2015 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: blahman212
  Anyone else here play eve online? Lemonvariable72 15 2905 June 3, 2015 at 7:04 pm
Last Post: dyresand