Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Older gaming
Older gaming
Is it just me, or do you prefer the comfort of a older game? not to say new games are bad. I am a fan of the Fallout series, and I enjoy some of the new WWE games, but I always find myself going back to my N64 and playing WWF Attitude, or Gauntlet Legends, even Doom on PC!
What's everyone's favourite older consoles/games?

Edit:
I'd like to add that I didn't use the word 'retro' on purpose. I feel that applies more to arcade games and consoles such as the Atari VCS/2600 or Commodore 64, the latter of which I have yet to have the pleasure of playing.
RE: Older gaming
I only ever owned an NES. 90% of the time, I played Super Mario. I liked RC Pro-Am as well, and had some Mike Tyson game, Top Gun, Zelda, and Kid Icarus.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
Older games are best. Especially the PC, especially Dos or the RTS games of the mid ninties to early 2000s. Also especially mega drive and the original Playstation.

Doom kicks ass. One of my favourite games ever, along with Heretic and HeXen.

Best game of all time for me is Age of Empires 2.
The new games all copy each other are extremely formulaic, treat you like a baby and focus more on graphics than gameplay and the level design= cutscene, cuscene, cutscene.

I'm generalizing.
Super Mario was great. I remember having my mind blown when they released Mario 64, I wasn't old at the time, granted, but it was and still is superb.
I remember a bit about Heretic, thinking it was similar to Doom (not sure how accurate that is though), but never played HeXen, to be honest I don't think I've heard of it before! AoE always have a place in my heart, they are definitely up there as some of the best RTS. I remember the old Star Wars game, can't remember what it was called, but it had exactly the same mechanics and visuals, just with Star Wars shit (so no change there with recent games!)
That is generalizing a bit but it's also true. Games nowadays require cut scenes to tell most of the story. Sure, older games did too, but it wasn't purely narrative based. Conkers Bad Fur Day, for example, had a fair few cut scenes, but they were almost entirely for comedic purposes. Games like Doom, Wolfenstein, Gauntlet Legends etc had next to none.
I recall the fun of my PS2, seems like decades ago.
Ut supra, ita inferius
[Image: 0c112e9da4d42c24a073c335a3e38de1_zpsezmp...g~original]
Uƚ ƨuqɿɒ, iƚɒ inʇɘɿiuƨ
(November 15, 2015 at 3:42 pm)blahman212 Wrote: I remember a bit about Heretic, thinking it was similar to Doom (not sure how accurate that is though), but never played HeXen, to be honest I don't think I've heard of it before!
Ooh if you liked Heretic I hope you would enjoy HeXen very much!!

Oh and here's a fucking awesome Let's Play of Heretic:

The above two videos are both playlists so go to youtube if you want to watch the full Let's Plays

Yeah Mario was a good platformer but for me THIS kicked ass the most as platformers go:

(November 15, 2015 at 3:42 pm)blahman212 Wrote: AoE always have a place in my heart, they are definitely up there as some of the best RTS.

Age of Empires II: HD just released their 3rd official expansion pack.

Now it's Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings: The Conquerors: The Forgotten: The African Kingdoms.

Title is just getting longer any longer... I guess the game is so awesome the title needs to get even longer to try to match the degree of the game's awesomeness.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Emp..._Forgotten

http://ageofempires.wikia.com/wiki/Age_o...n_Kingdoms
One of the greatest games in the world is Duke Nukem 3D mayn. Also love the original Turok games, and those Mario games. I too love older games more than the newer ones.
DUKE3D kicks ass!

... and chews bubblegum... and it's all out of gum.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gaming News Foxaèr 50 2870 April 12, 2024 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Gaming memes Foxaèr 1 423 April 22, 2019 at 7:40 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Our gaming screenshots Foxaèr 0 316 July 20, 2018 at 5:14 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Your gaming style? Foxaèr 42 6565 May 2, 2018 at 12:11 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Need gaming party members purplepurpose 4 1023 March 2, 2018 at 10:04 am
Last Post: purplepurpose