Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 9:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Street Art and Graffiti
Street Art and Graffiti
What is your opinion of Street Art? Personally I have very mixed feelings about it. So much of it is just senseless tagging and derivative visual drivel that makes cities miserable places to live and yet...when it works that bizzare blend of chuzpah, insight and technique sometimes takes my breath away.
<insert profound quote here>
RE: Street Art and Graffiti
[Image: street-art-38.jpg]

[Image: London-Street-Art-Shoreditch-Dan-Kitchener_01.jpg]

[Image: our-lady-of-grace.jpg]
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

Thank you for those wonderful examples. In your opinion is the blight of widespread vandalism an excusable cost that there might be works of art such as those?
<insert profound quote here>
Depends, I watch this urbex channel called The Proper People and most of the time the abadoned buildings they explore has the typical edgy teenage tags like "fuck" and "fag". Every once in a while tho, there will be one where someone actually made a work of art in a world forgotten. Unfortunately these also get ruined by edgy tags by teens.

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

So yeah, If there was actual effort, if it literally looks like a work of art then I like it, but if it's just typical edgy tags or this nonsense then I don't.
[Image: 6QOh5df.jpg]
"Seriously you guys - if you're going to keep tagging the cave with this mastodon graffitti we might as well just go back to living in the trees...... Can' t we just have a nice cave with clean walls?" 

-  Gorg - resident caveman art critic - 10,000 BC
(July 1, 2021 at 10:00 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: Thank you for those wonderful examples. In your opinion is the blight of widespread vandalism an excusable cost that there might be works of art such as those?
I think it depends on intent. The people above clearly simply wanted to brighten up the all too often dull urban sprawl and give it a little soul. I think we can forgive a little rule-breaking for temporary masterpieces like these.
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

If people are invited to put up some artwork, I'm all for it...however,

I'm in the camp from before spray paint cans, where the railroad companies, for example, incorporated sand into the paint on their buildings so that the perps would have their knives immediately dulled while trying to carve their inanity into the railroad company's property. I'm an advocate for spark ignitors where these tools put their paint, so that it ignites and is thus "ruined". It won't keep the damage away, but it'll certainly school the dumb shits to not do it again.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
This popped up on a wall in my home state earlier this year, and I’m furious… that they didn’t do it in my home town because this looks fucking awesome. Well, that and they had it covered up a few days later.

[Image: hwapsznz43461.jpg]
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
If you're gonna take Banksy, you'll need to put up with a little 'Jeannie MacPherson's a hoor' now and then.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I evaluate based on intent and talent. The majority of what I see in my city is juvenile and crap.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Art deranged? BrianSoddingBoru4 7 567 August 21, 2023 at 7:20 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Has technology ruined the art of conversation? HairyCyclist 35 4585 February 27, 2017 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Guy approaches me on the street, offers a job!? Ksa 23 2877 June 13, 2014 at 8:08 am
Last Post: Chas
  Police Self Defense Street Fighting Tactics A Theist 2 1131 December 13, 2012 at 2:17 am
Last Post: Autumnlicious