Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 7:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has technology ruined the art of conversation?
I've been out to the pub tonight with friends.
Within minutes of being there they were on their phones, checking Facebook, text messages and the like.
In my opinion gone are the days when you could just be out talking and enjoying each others company.
I couldn't get a word in edgeways without being interrupted by an annoying ping or ringtone, looking around I saw couples out for meals constantly checking their phones for updates.
What the hell is going on?
Does this annoy anyone else? or am I miserable or behind the times or something?
I think you are correct in your hypothesis.
RE: Has technology ruined the art of conversation?
I've walked out when the phone/device commands more attention.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(February 25, 2017 at 6:31 pm)HairyCyclist Wrote: Does this annoy anyone else? or am I miserable or behind the times or something?

I observe people on the sub, even walking on the streets, eyes constantly glued to their phones. Yes, I find it stupid and have a good laugh when some of them actually stumble over their own feet because they can't be arsed to pocket their mobiles.

As for me, my generation grew up without this shit. So we aren't as addicted as the younger generations seems to be. Also, Assbook doesn't interest me one bit. I couldn't give half a shit what an imaginary friend digests right now or if they have procreated and feel like sharing ugly baby photos.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(February 25, 2017 at 6:31 pm)HairyCyclist Wrote: I've been out to the pub tonight with friends.
Within minutes of being there they were on their phones, checking Facebook, text messages and the like.
In my opinion gone are the days when you could just be out talking and enjoying each others company.
I couldn't get a word in edgeways without being interrupted by an annoying ping or ringtone, looking around I saw couples out for meals constantly checking their phones for updates.
Does this annoy anyone else? or am I miserable or behind the times or something?

No it's me too, it pisses me off. When I go out I turn my phone off. The off switch there for just such an occasion.
Yes, other people have noticed.

[Image: Cnl0Xc4UAAEwGU1.jpg:large]
Yeah, I don't take being treated as secondary very well, so if it's not an emergency and they take the text anyway, I take the message and limit my time with that person.

What ever happened to just living through the awkward silence and waiting for the beer to kick in?
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
My ex-boyfriend paid more attention to his phone than to me about 80% of the time whenever we'd go out anywhere. That's not the main reason we aren't together anymore, but it sure didn't help. This is definitely one of my pet peeves.

I also play tabletop rpgs (such as D&D) and I've had to make a hard rule about restricting electronic devices at the table. Some people just can't set their phones down for more than five minutes. I have to gather them up and put them in another room before we can start.
(February 25, 2017 at 6:31 pm)HairyCyclist Wrote: I've been out to the pub tonight with friends.

My wife would threaten me with divorce if I constantly did that while we're going out.

I don't want to paint the situation with too broad a brush and come across like some old fart bemoaning the decay of society, after all, people are still engaging in human communication with these new technical means - it's just that we seem to have such a hard time to really simply be *there* in a RL location exclusively and with someone, and not at the same time engaging with the virtual crowd. I think that's potentially a problem.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Art deranged? BrianSoddingBoru4 7 567 August 21, 2023 at 7:20 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Street Art and Graffiti Neo-Scholastic 11 500 July 2, 2021 at 10:56 am
Last Post: AkiraTheViking
  If you could have a conversation with anyone.. Cod 42 4858 July 21, 2019 at 12:33 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Ever had a fun experience ruined by someone else? NuclearEnergy 5 2035 June 3, 2017 at 12:20 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Words to be avoided in Polite Conversation Firefighter01 68 7746 September 23, 2016 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: Firefighter01
  Ruined the weekend Joods 24 2044 May 31, 2016 at 5:25 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Seeing a Woman: A conversation between father and son. Catholic_Lady 7 1222 January 18, 2016 at 10:31 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Make a conversation using only gifs dahrling 10 1892 May 15, 2015 at 11:34 am
Last Post: dahrling
  Conversation Skills Tea Earl Grey Hot 9 1964 February 2, 2014 at 5:29 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  Rant About Technology Use thesummerqueen 16 4534 October 24, 2012 at 2:48 am
Last Post: Tempus