Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
James Webb
James Webb
Anyone else excited for the eventual launch of the James Webb telescope? I am.

What discovery do you anticipate the most?

I am most curious about galaxy formation. I suppose a close second would be analysis of exoplanet atmospheres because of the remote possibility of discovering life. ("Remote" because, even with James Webb, it will be difficult to conclude anything about biosignatures).

What potential discoveries interest you?
RE: James Webb
*raises hand* Another James Webb fan here.

I'm curious to see how far "back" in the universe it can see, and how it compares to the HST.
Maybe we’ll finally get to see how harsh a mistress the Moon really is.

Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Speaking about the Moon, I'm looking forward to seeing if there are any bumblebees there.

[Image: bubmle.jpg]
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
Klingons.  I want it to find Klingons.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I'm looking forward to the launch of the Beccs (non-Jewish) Space Laser.
Dying to live, living to die.
I'm just hoping the damn thing works at all. If there are problems I doubt we will get another shot at something similar in my lifetime.

As far as what goes first stars and early galaxy formation would be very very cool. I don't know about the first part, but I guess they consider it a possibility.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
(August 3, 2021 at 7:31 am)popeyespappy Wrote: I'm just hoping the damn thing works at all. If there are problems I doubt we will get another shot at something similar in my lifetime.

As far as what goes first stars and early galaxy formation would be very very cool. I don't know about the first part, but I guess they consider it a possibility.

If it doesn't work I have a big ladder, I'll go up and hammer until it behaves
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(August 3, 2021 at 1:08 pm)zebo-the-fat Wrote: If it doesn't work I have a big ladder, I'll go up and hammer until it behaves

BIG ladder.

I'm sure most here are familiar with the JWST planned L2 orbit, but a lot of people probably don't understand exactly how far out that really is. At a about a million miles from Earth the JWST will be more than four times further away from the Earth than the moon.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
(August 3, 2021 at 2:11 pm)popeyespappy Wrote:
(August 3, 2021 at 1:08 pm)zebo-the-fat Wrote: If it doesn't work I have a big ladder, I'll go up and hammer until it behaves

BIG ladder.

I'm sure most here are familiar with the JWST planned L2 orbit, but a lot of people probably don't understand exactly how far out that really is. At a about a million miles from Earth the JWST will be more than four times further away from the Earth than the moon.

Yes, I know that, like I said... a BIG ladder Smile

Though that does mean no chance of any service or repair missions... better get it right first time!
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  James Webb Space Telescope pics pocaracas 18 2240 December 8, 2022 at 3:00 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  James Webb telescope is live (well, almost)! Jehanne 5 468 March 20, 2022 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Responses to James Tour Gwaithmir 1 655 January 1, 2021 at 2:38 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  James Webb space telescope axed Anomalocaris 29 11362 July 13, 2011 at 2:10 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris