Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An Admin Rant
An Admin Rant
We recently altered the rules regarding necroposting, from 30 to 60 days. And yet necroposting continues apace.

What the everlasting fuck do you people not understand about this? While there are a VERY few threads that are exempted from the necroposting rule (and it is a rule, make no mistake), the overwhelming majority are not. And if you’re not sure, ask.

I mean, honestly - there’s a little red bar that appears to tell you if the last post in a thread was made more than 30 days ago, advising you to start a new thread. Do we need to make it bigger? Add some animation? An audible warning? Or - here’s an idea - maybe we could just start spewing out formal warnings and points for people that seem unable to follow one of the simplest, clearest rules we have.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: An Admin Rant
I keep getting myself caught in necroposting moderator hell.

The rule seems clear to me, till it isn't.  

I'd be good with using the warning system more but I have closed a couple that have ended up reopened so I don't want to warn and then have to unwarn.

Herding cats - it's like herding cats.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

I wonder why the designers of the forum did not make an " auto lock out" that the admins could set at what they felt was a good amount of time - that would allow users to look but not post on a out of date thread ....

This isn' t the first forum I have seen with a like problem...
And why is necroposting bad?

From an objective perspective, it just isn't.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I’ve come to expect it from newbs, but there are people who have literally been here for years who can’t seem to grasp what we mean by ‘no necroposting’.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(August 10, 2021 at 10:36 am)Foxaire Wrote: And why is necroposting bad?

From an objective perspective, it just isn't.

This is not about whether it’s good or bad. It’s about that it isn’t allowed.

Boru
[Image: 5HR.gif]
~ Erin Hunter
On one of the rp forums I've been on for years, to reduce spammers on the forums, each new member has to post on the public forums at least 3 posts(anywhere. In an introduction thread, in general discussions, they can post an rp ad for a story they want to role-play) and wait 24 hours. There are some privileges cut off from new members until they meet these requirements, such as editing their own posts and sending private messages to other members. There's an official welcoming committee who's job it is to post a somewhat personalized welcome in the new user's introduction thread with all this information about the rules, the waiting period, and where they can post. There's an FAQ about the waiting period at the top of the Announcements forum, the Introduction forum, and the Questioins and Suggestions forum. AND there is an automated bot message that sends the basic information in a private message to them upon registration. About 2-3 times a week a new person will be in the chatbox or in the questions forum asking why they can't edit their posts, where are they allowed to post for the 3 post requirements, and why they can't message other people.

Also on that same forum, there are restrictions on how often you can bump your request thread(your ad for the rp story you want to do) of 24 hours. That's it. Just wait 24 hours from the last time you posted in your own thread. It's been a rule since 2011 or so. And yet those with accounts as old as 2012 or 2015 will be complaining daily about getting warned yet again for bumping their request thread too early. It's 24 hours. Check the timestamp on your last post. Is it past that time yet?

And that's on a forum where the whole point of it is reading and writing.

I don't know. People just have a really hard time anywhere there are rules that impede them from doing what they wanna do.

(August 10, 2021 at 10:56 am)Ten Wrote: People just have a really hard time anywhere there are rules that impede them from doing what they wanna do.

And for good reason.
~ Erin Hunter
(August 10, 2021 at 10:56 am)Ten Wrote: On one of the rp forums I've been on for years,.......

Glad you typed role play. You don't want to know what I initially thought rp was.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Admin: Pandæmonium Tiberius 32 4872 July 2, 2016 at 11:33 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Meet your new forum admin: LastPoet Jackalope 60 10662 January 30, 2015 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: Mystical
  Meet your new forum admin: Stimbo Jackalope 154 20761 January 28, 2015 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Rayaan => Admin :D Tiberius 60 25271 August 2, 2012 at 12:02 am
Last Post: C.W. Sims
  Eilonnwy is an Admin! Tiberius 7 2943 April 28, 2010 at 3:37 pm
Last Post: D.S.M.